NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM

NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM
It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:05 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

We have NEW server almost ready, try it out here

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:37 am 

I just got my 80,000 km or 48 month service done, at 67,000 km.

My mechanic showed me a pic of some hard dry black deposit on the throttle butterfly. From all the catch-can threads here, I was expecting wet oily stuff. I guess whatever is further upstream, and not cooked, will still be wet.

He wants to clean it out with
https://www.bgprod.com/catalog/gasoline ... -product-5
- the diesel version.

He showed me what looks like a vaporizer nozzle that attaches, I guess, where the engine blow-by pipe was.
https://www.bgprod.com/catalog/gasoline ... -product-7
So whatever is in the air intake system seems to get dissolved, go through the motor and burned.

And then put some stuff in the fuel tank to clean the injectors later.

I don't recall any discussion of this stuff. Does it sound reasonable? If not, what's a better way to clean things?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:07 pm 

garrytre
The dissolving stuff loosens the residue and it goes across the valve seats. Some of it will get trapped there for a while and possibly hold a valve open a little for a while until it wears away or gets hammered into obscurity. What goes into the cylinder is not burnt but simply jumbles around and fried a bit more then passed out through the exhaust valves as it did through the intake valves.
If the process cleans the intake then all that crap goes into the Cat. If unburnt to ash it blocks the cat until it all gets hot to turn to ash and then goes through cat, you hope. No fuel system inj nozzle cleaning additive is required as none of the intake rubbish is going to present a problem to the injectors which spray fuel out at more than 20.000psi and often up to 35.000psi. Only gimming from varnish deposits in the fuel would/may at some point in fuel inj life be required to clean inside the injector. Absolutely none of the intake flushed gunk going through can possibly be in or a problem to the injectors. Apart from the normal varnish deposits which may build up in any inj the normal burn in the cylinder of a turbo CRD engine will ensure all is ok in the cylinder. So,no fuel additive required, just useless and waste of money. Not sure why a mechanic would suggest that with the intake treatment

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:34 pm 

mydmax
thanks for that. Yes I'd kind of imagined some particles of stuff getting stuck on the valves. I hadn't thought of the catalytic converter suffering.

I think he mentioned the injector cleaner as an afterthought, not necessarily as part of cleaning the air intake system.

So forgetting about the injectors for the moment, how is the air intake system and the throttle butterfly normally cleaned? Take it all out & put in a bath of some sort? And pull a brush through it, like cleaning a rifle?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:05 pm 

Depending on severity, the foam spray stuff probably cleans ok if done slowly, otherwise remove intake manifold and butterfly and dunk in carbon remover I suppose.

I would imagine on a small cell CAT any harder particles will collect on the intake of the CAT and of too m uch at once may restrict the exhaust flow until it burns away. I haven't done it so not sure.
My CAT is a more open cell structure of 3" style and it would pass bigger particles than the finer OE CAT would do.

A bit of awareness and care required there I think!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:45 pm 

thank you