NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM

NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM
It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:19 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

We have NEW server almost ready, try it out here

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:32 am 

east island dmax

If you have that EGR delete, you don't require a catch can because the engine operates same as one without EGR. The oil mist simply goes to lube intake valve stems and provides some upper cyl lube.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:58 am 

....and coats and fills up the intercooler making it run up to 10c hotter, brilliant :roll:

Google search trick- site:newd-max.net search term here
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1684
Build thread viewtopic.php?f=16&t=549

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:58 pm 

Danno
I don't think the oil mist is a problem for an intercooler at all. Many millions of vehicles worldwide have no catch can and perform as designed for all of their usable life.
Yes there is some oil film, but makers decide on cooler area with that taken into account.
I have not seen any appreciable build up of oil and because the airflow forces it through. A slight build up perhaps in some corners/crevices.
If you follow some modern vehicles you may see an occasional puff of smoke as a residual droplet is carried hrough.

Probably 90% of all Isuzu vehicles have no catch can and go and go

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:26 pm 

mydmax wrote:
Danno
I don't think the oil mist is a problem for an intercooler at all. Many millions of vehicles worldwide have no catch can and perform as designed for all of their usable life.
Yes there is some oil film, but makers decide on cooler area with that taken into account.
I have not seen any appreciable build up of oil and because the airflow forces it through. A slight build up perhaps in some corners/crevices.
If you follow some modern vehicles you may see an occasional puff of smoke as a residual droplet is carried hrough.

I said this would start something . Having cleaned out my Prado intake of baked on CRUD that eventually blocks the inlet and drops into the sump and blocks the oil pic up filter. A clean out of the air intake including the Inter-cooler is simple.
Don't forget the oil is burnt for even more economy BONUS.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:15 pm 

mydmax wrote:
Danno

Well you're entitled to your opinion MD but it doesn't mean you're right. With most manufacturers now speccing a thin watery 5w/30 oil mainly to help achieve fuel consumption figures people are finding more than a "little bit in the corners" in their intercoolers and those of us with cans on new cars are surprised at how much we are actually catching, not only oil but water as well at times which I'm happier ends up in a can however harmless it might be, and at the end of the day if you're unlucky enough to have a DPF you're much better off not having that oil burnt through the motor and sooting the bloody thing up.

Google search trick- site:newd-max.net search term here
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1684
Build thread viewtopic.php?f=16&t=549

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:36 pm 

Hi you Guys,
thanks everyone for their replies , I really appreciate your knowledgeable input to all sides of the discussion, I look after 3 other Diesel engines apart from the Dmax, a 1972 D.B.75hp, 3cylinder tractor, an '87 Isuzu 6BG1 in a 10 ton truck and a Shibauru 25hp engine, all of them seem simple and reliable with me keeping clean oil and filters plus the usual bits and pieces that vehicles need. but the Dmax is a different beast with the extra tech. so thanks again for helping to unravel these from a practical view point . The motor has such a good reputation, I would like to make sure it lasts well.
Cheers Bob