NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM

NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM
It is currently Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:12 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours


We have NEW server almost ready, try it out here


Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: New MUX question
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:40 pm
Posts: 27
Ok
I'll first say this, I have never owned or even driven a diesel engine before in my life.

Now I have a near new 2018 MUX.

I'm still getting used to the rattle and knocks that come from the engine
As put by someone on a forum
The noise of a river of spanners cascading over a waterfall.

I have been driving m MUX for a month now 12000 k on the clock
What I'd like to know is what is normal?

At idle it has you typical tickety tic of all diesels you hear in traffic
At low speeds the ticking is still there and sounds rattle to me, probably normal.

But when I give it the stick, the ticking fades away right up to around 3500 rpm
And then there is a bit of a rattle just before it changes gear (auto)

Going up hills, steep hills, it simply revs nice and throaty and does not rattle.
And at 100 to 120 on the freeway, you can't hear the engine at all until you give it some to overtake.

I'm thinking the rattle just before changing gear is normal, just the load coming off the engine between gears, because once it gets to the next gear it just growls until around 3500 rpm again.

Oh, and if I back off during acceleration, the rattle comes back until I load it up a bit.

I love this car.
But I'm still getting used to the rattles that diesels have.
Are these all normal?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New MUX question
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:31 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:22 am
Posts: 615
Location: adelaide hills
Why are you doing 3500 rpm? Mine has never done that, in nearly 100,000km.

Around the world there are lots of different Isuzu engines. It'll help if you find on this page, User Control Panel, Profile, Location. And if you know how many cc's your car is, post that.

Quote:
The noise of a river of spanners cascading over a waterfall.
Sounds like something wrong, or just hyperbole.
Yes, I know people say all diesels rattle. But my 3 litre one sounds just like a car to me, especially compared to my wife's car, a real diesel.
Quote:
At idle it has you typical tickety tic of all diesels you hear in traffic
Mine doesn't.
All pretty subjective. Can you try driving someone else's similar model, check what that sounds like. But not at 3500 rpm.

_________________
If it ain't broke, fix it til it is.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New MUX question
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:36 pm
Posts: 1546
Valkie
Congratulations on your purchase of of the Mux.
They are a great vehicle.
Not having driven diesels before, they are different to get used to.
A rattle and diesel knock is quite different in reality. The fuel system at idle injects a very small amount, enough to keep it running. When warm, This is a regular noise, not a tickety tick irregular.
Diesel when injected means there is some already squirted in there when it catches fire and that burns uncontrolled, ie, sharp pressure rise and all fuel injected on that stroke after the initial ignition mean it burns as it is injected. So, therefore you only hear the bit at the start.
This sequence varies with load and speed and temp in the cylinder. The injectors, can, deliver multiple spits of fuel during the same injection cycle and so you will hear diesel knock up to a speed/load and then the injection will change it's characteristics and become quieter. The multiple injections can be a very small amount to initiate the flame and then the rest is injected and burns as it is delivered and so the small amount causes low diesel knock noise and the rest you don't hear because it is a controlled burn.
When you back off the throttle and the vehicle is on overrun, the engine is driven by the vehicle and so requires no fuel until quite low in revs. You should hear nothing during that situation. On a long downhill descent, then no fuel is injected because none is required. Down mountains the engine will begin to cool down in water temp until the fire inside returns.

Not saying you would do this, but many who have driven petrol engines, sometimes suddenly fuel up with petrol. Not a good idea as it causes costly fuel system damage. If it ever happened by mistake, Do Not start the vehicle. That way the tank can be drained and refilled with diesel and no harm done.

Mine is a 2011 and I occasionally briefly run it to near 4000rpm when fully hot to ensure a full turbulation through the intake airstream. Only sometimes though. Normal use would not see anything past 3000rpm on acceleration. These things have torque and don't need revs as the torque drops off after 2800rpm.
Enjoy the Mux.

mydmax


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New MUX question
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:40 pm
Posts: 27
mydmax wrote:
Valkie
Congratulations on your purchase of of the Mux.
They are a great vehicle.
Not having driven diesels before, they are different to get used to.
A rattle and diesel knock is quite different in reality. The fuel system at idle injects a very small amount, enough to keep it running. When warm, This is a regular noise, not a tickety tick irregular.
Diesel when injected means there is some already squirted in there when it catches fire and that burns uncontrolled, ie, sharp pressure rise and all fuel injected on that stroke after the initial ignition mean it burns as it is injected. So, therefore you only hear the bit at the start.
This sequence varies with load and speed and temp in the cylinder. The injectors, can, deliver multiple spits of fuel during the same injection cycle and so you will hear diesel knock up to a speed/load and then the injection will change it's characteristics and become quieter. The multiple injections can be a very small amount to initiate the flame and then the rest is injected and burns as it is delivered and so the small amount causes low diesel knock noise and the rest you don't hear because it is a controlled burn.
When you back off the throttle and the vehicle is on overrun, the engine is driven by the vehicle and so requires no fuel until quite low in revs. You should hear nothing during that situation. On a long downhill descent, then no fuel is injected because none is required. Down mountains the engine will begin to cool down in water temp until the fire inside returns.

Not saying you would do this, but many who have driven petrol engines, sometimes suddenly fuel up with petrol. Not a good idea as it causes costly fuel system damage. If it ever happened by mistake, Do Not start the vehicle. That way the tank can be drained and refilled with diesel and no harm done.

Mine is a 2011 and I occasionally briefly run it to near 4000rpm when fully hot to ensure a full turbulation through the intake airstream. Only sometimes though. Normal use would not see anything past 3000rpm on acceleration. These things have torque and don't need revs as the torque drops off after 2800rpm.
Enjoy the Mux.

mydmax


My previous cars have all been 6 cylinder family cars.
These are generally super quiet, in most the only time you hear them is when you give them heaps, and then it's all exhaust.

The diesel noise, especially when cold was initially concerning.
Sounded like tappets, but a friend who owns diesels, said it's the normal diesel rattle.
It's far from irregular, the engine idles far better than any petrol engine I have ever owned.
Petrol engines have the occasional cough or sputter and when the air con come on you can feel it.

But the MUX JUST IDLES super smooth and you cannot tell when the air con come on at all.
I don't thrash the car, most driving, 99% is at less the 2500 rpm.
It's reasonably quiet at these revs and the 6 sipped gearbox is almost impossible to feel changes.
But I had two needs to give it a bit last week, and the revs hit 3500 approx, and as stated an nice deep growl from the exhaust right up to just before the gear change.

I drove several test MUXes, MUXs, MUX, (what's the plural for MUX?)
They all sounded much the same, but I never pushed any of them, they were not mine to push.

As for fuel, I used some cheap fuel once, and my regular 500klm regens went all over the shop. 280, 300, 260.
So I now only use quality fuel from service stations with regular traffic, regens back to 500 every time.
I do 1000 Klm a week, mostly freeway driving, which is what the MUX lives for.
This is why I notice the noise, on the freeway, you never hear the engine, and it rarely even changes down on my daily run.
And the 7.3 to 7.6 l/100 klm is quite nice too.

The comment about the torque dropping off over 2800 woukd make sense.
It could be that the engine needs to change down and that could be the rattle.

The rattle isn't loud either, it's about what it sounds like at idle.

I'm just very new to diesel.
I know I'll love this car, it's so comfortable to drive, feels great and has a ton of room.
I towed my 1500 kg boat last weekend and it was as if the boat wasn't there.
Rough roads, the standard where I live , are smoother to drive on and very little road noise can be detected.

I'm being visited by a mate tomorrow with an old Nissan tank, his words not mine, he will give me a drive of his as a comparison.

I'll post the results.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New MUX question
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:36 pm
Posts: 1546
Valkie
When cold the diesel detonation, ie, uncontrolled burn, means there is a bit more fuel injected before it can catch fire. Because it is cold in the cylinder the amount injected is more than at any other time before flame occurs, therefore the pressure rise and noise will be more than when hot.
Entirely normal.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New MUX question
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:07 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:40 pm
Posts: 27
Well, The mate came around in his ol GU (I think) Nissan Patrol on the weekend.

If that's what diesel engines sound like, Im glad I got the MUX.
I heard his car coming around the corner (rattle rattle)
and at idle it makes mine sound silent.

Going for a drive, the thing I noticed the most was it was absolutely gutless.
Oh it tows a 3 ton van anywhere without any problems, But getting up to speed takes forever.

It was a manual too, so comparing engine noise was virtually impossible.

And it smoked quite a bit when you give it some.
He said his injectors needed cleaning, it had been some 200000 klm since the last clean.

Its an old beast, and the MUX really made it look dated.
But he loves this thing and in the 10 years he has had it, it has never let him down.
My other mate has a Land Rover "County" has had it for over 40 years, he loves that beast too.


What is it about diesels that people who own them really love them?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New MUX question
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:22 am
Posts: 615
Location: adelaide hills
Valkie wrote:
Well, The mate came around in his ol GU (I think) Nissan Patrol on the weekend.
If that's what diesel engines sound like, Im glad I got the MUX.
I heard his car coming around the corner (rattle rattle)
and at idle it makes mine sound silent.
I quite like that rattle. My wife's old Rodeo always sounds like a diesel should, and I love driving it. Put the foot down, wait 5 minutes, rattles & vibrations - lovely.
Valkie wrote:
What is it about diesels that people who own them really love them?
My first car's workshop manual (yes they had them in those days) recommended a valve grind every 30,000 miles, and rebore & rings every 60,000 miles. My Royal Enfield, a bit sooner.
A friend of mine had about 20 Land Rovers, mainly diesel, and lots of dead Land Rovers all over the paddock for spare parts. Finally got a MUX, won't shut up about it, never mentions Land Rovers any more. Probably have 20 dead MUX's in 20 years.

_________________
If it ain't broke, fix it til it is.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New MUX question
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:00 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:51 pm
Posts: 787
Location: God's country
garrytre wrote:
Valkie wrote:
Well, The mate came around in his ol GU (I think) Nissan Patrol on the weekend.
If that's what diesel engines sound like, Im glad I got the MUX.
I heard his car coming around the corner (rattle rattle)
and at idle it makes mine sound silent.
I quite like that rattle. My wife's old Rodeo always sounds like a diesel should, and I love driving it. Put the foot down, wait 5 minutes, rattles & vibrations - lovely.


I reckon that depends on the GU diesel. Love the old school GU 4.2's and 2.8's. But not the 4cyl handgrenade engine. :D

Have you seen the prices some people are chasing for their 4.2 GU's? Madness I say, as mad as the prices going for 10yo 79 series V8 Cruisers! :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New MUX question
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:40 pm
Posts: 27
garrytre wrote:
Valkie wrote:
Well, The mate came around in his ol GU (I think) Nissan Patrol on the weekend.
If that's what diesel engines sound like, Im glad I got the MUX.
I heard his car coming around the corner (rattle rattle)
and at idle it makes mine sound silent.
I quite like that rattle. My wife's old Rodeo always sounds like a diesel should, and I love driving it. Put the foot down, wait 5 minutes, rattles & vibrations - lovely.
Valkie wrote:
What is it about diesels that people who own them really love them?
My first car's workshop manual (yes they had them in those days) recommended a valve grind every 30,000 miles, and rebore & rings every 60,000 miles. My Royal Enfield, a bit sooner.
A friend of mine had about 20 Land Rovers, mainly diesel, and lots of dead Land Rovers all over the paddock for spare parts. Finally got a MUX, won't shut up about it, never mentions Land Rovers any more. Probably have 20 dead MUX's in 20 years.


No you won't
MUX, MUXES , MUXESE, MUXS (WHATEVER THE PLURAL)

WILL NEVER DIE,
You will simply have the same one for 20 years..........like me


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New MUX question
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:40 pm
Posts: 27
Well
Three months now and Im converted.
I, like you gentlemen, have come to love the rattle at idle.
I even turn down the radio so I can listen to it sometimes.
One of my hobbies is rebuilding old mechanical clocks, I can sit for hours listening to them tic.
And when one is off......it sets my teeth on edge
A good well maintained and adjusted clock simply ticks, there is no tock
and all ticks should be even not one longer than the other.

The MUX ticks, nice and even, just like my clocks.
Yep, I'm really becoming a fan of the truck.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC + 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group