NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM

NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM
It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:47 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

We have NEW server almost ready, try it out here

Post subject: Re: New MUX question
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:39 pm 

A convert by the sounds.
Now we need photos of the mux dirty. If it doesn’t get taken out for an occasional beach day or bush trip it will stop ticking. Like a dog taking your socks unless it gets its playtime

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:31 am 

Id love to, but its not on the agenda for a few months due to work, volunteer commitments and family weddings etc.

All it gets at the moment is about 1000klm of freeway driving every week, to and from work.

The very occasional tow of the boat, is about as hard as it works for now, and off roading is out of the question until I get some training or join a club to help me get out of the trouble I'm sure to get into.
Then, we get back to the first sentence ….work, Volunteer and family commitments.
Only 18 months to go and I retire, things will free up a whole lot then.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:20 am 

Duck wrote:
A convert by the sounds.
Now we need photos of the mux dirty. If it doesn’t get taken out for an occasional beach day or bush trip it will stop ticking. Like a dog taking your socks unless it gets its playtime

Went off road on the weekend, not serious stuff mind, just a little bit of mud bashing and driving on some pretty rough roads out the back of Wingham.

The MU-X was filthy, mud up the sides and over the front and back.
It really looked the part.

I was planning to take a few pictures, but then on the way home we saw a cheap hand wash for charity and I forgot the pictures.

Result, nice clean car, no pictures

Wont be doing anything in the foreseeable future, but Next time ill take pictures while still wallowing in the mud.

Oh, and how did the MU-X go?
Like a MU-X.
Didn't miss a beat, took all I threw at her (not much really, Im still a novice).
But it had no issues with the road, the mud and even a couple of water holes.

Thought I was bogged once, but I backed up and hit it with a little more speed and went through without problem.

Question;
When do you need to use 4x4 low?
I had no need at all playing around, but I imagine there would be some need some time?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:08 am 

Valkie
"When to use 4wd?",
For a start, don't use it on hard surfaces where the tyres are unable to squirm and prevent transmission and driveline windup. Any turning/steering and vehicle travel will cause all wheels to travel different distances than each other, and even though you have diffs at both ends, effectively the front and rear axles have rotated under pressure, differing amounts. In such cases the torsional forces could prevent you from disengaging 4wd until the torsion is released. In severe cases the front CV's are punished. Straighten wheels and move forward and rearward may help. Some people have a short piece of pipe and drive over it. That allows that wheel to spin and release the wind up in the driveline.

If reversing trailers and caravans and need low range it will be in 4wd to get LOW, so all wheels want rotate together. If manoeuvring it WILL wind up the driveline. For such use if used often, you can fit Free Wheel hubs so 4WD and LOW can be selected for backing speed control and not wind up the driveline because the front wheels are effectively disengaged from their cv drive shafts. Had FWH on a 2011 Dmax since 2011.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:23 pm 

Valkie wrote:
Duck wrote:
Question;
When do you need to use 4x4 low?

When you need high torque at low speed, eg climbing a knarly hill. Or high engine braking when descending a steep hill.

Tink