NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM

NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM
It is currently Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:01 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

We have NEW server almost ready, try it out here

Post subject: Swirl Flaps Removal
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:50 pm 

Hi,

Has anyone removed the swirl flaps on the 4JJ1? Have heard that the screws come loose - is this really a common issue?
I assume that the screws get removed and the rod assembly stays in place. everything else stays connected and actuates as normal. Will this cause a fault code?

Looking at buying a high-km (240,000) 2009 model and this would be the first mod as well as clean intake manifold, restrict EGR, catch can.

Thanks,
Kramer

Post subject: Re: Swirl Flaps Removal
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:20 pm 

Kramer
If you know anything about engines, dynamic airflow, Laminar airflow or volumetric efficiency and low down torque production you WILL NOT remove the intake shutters or it's control. IT DOES create higher speed airflow in one branch at lower speeds so low down torque and cylinder swirl and fuel mixing is best it can be. Removing the shutters will not improve driveability one bit. The shutters open up at higher speed to amply allow sufficient boosted air into the cylinders in a shorted time frame, ie REVS. The shutter plate screws may have come loose because of what exactly? Stupid repaired intervention most likely. A miniscule number of 4JJ1 engines may have had a problem, this is broadcast and gets to many like a radio station but it isn't widely known of at all. Media amplifies things 10,000 fold and people unwittingly take notice of what isn't happening. If it was a problem there would be MANY Isuzus dead in the streets.
Not sure who is telling you rubbish or what you are taking notice of.
Nothing wrong with an intake clean though.

PS, Ferguson tractors have half moon shaped intake tracts specifically to speed up airflow into cylinders and subsequent swirl in the cylinders to improve the LOW DOWN TORQUE. The same basic engine in a Standard Vanguard car,( not seen today) of those times had round intake tracts. Went faster and revved faster but made far less torque. Neither engine was very powerful though. Isuzu and others have used the same basic principles.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:25 pm 

I was going to write something similar to mydmax but remembered I know nothing about engines !

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:29 pm 

Duck wrote:
I was going to write something similar to mydmax but remembered I know nothing about engines !

(Sarcastic alert) It's a forum....since when has knowing absolutely nothing about a topic ever stopped anyone from offering advice? :roll:

Google search trick- site:newd-max.net search term here
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1684
Build thread viewtopic.php?f=16&t=549

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:16 pm 

No worries, thanks for the reply.
Sounds like swirl flap removal is a bit of an internet beat-up then. I suppose I'm just looking for anything that might bite me and trying to address that early.

Cheers

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:15 am 

Danno wrote:
Duck wrote:

(Sarcastic alert) It's a forum....since when has knowing absolutely nothing about a topic ever stopped anyone from offering advice? :roll:

Not just forums, I have the honor of spending much of my time in meetings listening to experts that get so wounded when I bring up their qualifications and failed previous experiences.
Back to the OP. Sorry for the hijack.