NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM

NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM
It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:11 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

We have NEW server almost ready, try it out here

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:45 am 

Thanks for your help guys. However, this is the problem I run into...some people talk about how easy they break, where others say they don’t have an issue with their 2” lift...

I’m starting to lean towards the lift however, but perhaps staying with 30mm (like ARB and TJM)...but then does it really becomes worth it lifting it that much at all...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:24 am 

Ok here's my 5c worth.. I have a 2014 Dmax LS-T.

Around 2 years ago I did the ARB OME suspension upgrade (30mm) and yes the ride and handling are much better. Currently on D697 AT/LT at the stock size 255/65/17 but will change to Toyo's soon and go to 265/65 or 265/70. The important point about the OME is that it is was a upgrade of the suspension - not just a lift.

Yes.. I to have become increasingly concerned about braking a CV and the possibility of having front body cracks given all the posts on various forums on these subjects. Every time I go into 4H/4L it's on my mind - and that's not what I want from a mid level 4WD, not extreme wheels in the air for the cameras type stuff. So that being said I haven't had any issues to date..... maybe this is because there is little weight at the front (no bullbar or dual batt) I run external power to tub via breakers and put battery there when I need it etc, also maybe because tyers are near stock for now. I've also rang Superior Engineering to book in a diff drop only to be told they don't recommend it for suspension lifts of 30mm or less.

Hope that helps.
Cheers,
Andy.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:26 am 

After busting 2 CV's , I put a GoPro under my Dmax
this is with a ARB GVM upgrade , 30mm lift , I fitted a Diff Drop after actually seeing what really was happening , so did a lot of others .
Checkout some of the other videos , make up your own mind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldz0jC-5H6w

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:36 am 

Jackofjr - mate I don't disagree with you, yes saw your videos a year or so back. I didn't have a GVM upgrade, my CV angles are around the same or slightly better from when you had the diff drop and did a video of that. As I said Superior Engineering said they don't recommend diff drops for 30mm or less? I cannot remember the technical reasons why (although he did try and explain why) their web site says for lifts 3 inch or more.

Andy.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:59 pm 

Just an update on this...I found out Graham runs 33" tyres on his new d-max and he is also running pretty much a 50mm lift but has a diff drop. After watching some of his clips on youtube, he drives the thing like a patrol, breakages are bound to happen.

After speaking to a professional 4wd instructor who uses a d-max for training, he has assured me that they have not had any CV issues at all. The vehicle is lifted with a TJM kit (approx 30mm) and does not have a diff drop...from this I can gather that it pretty much comes down to driving style. On one hand you have one experienced driver who more than likely hammers his vehicle for entertainment purposes (fair enough) and on the other hand you have a professional off road instructor who drives the vehicle properly.

All in all, I have booked in a Ironman lift (30mm) as I believe Ironman, TJM and OME know enough about suspension hence the limited heights (30-40mm ~ depending on constant load ratings). I would love something higher, but cannot be bothered with the implications this may have. I don't do anything too hard core in my d-max, but like others driving a bit more conservatively will definitely be on my mind when out bush. Also on a side note, I'm only running 245/75/16 mud terrains, which should also work in my way.

I will keep this forum updated should any problems occur.
Thank you all for who contributed thus far
: )

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:52 pm 

evenstephenss
It seems the limited amount of ride height increase by those companies, is because if you go more than that, the suspension design runs out of camber adjustment ability as the lower arm cannot be adjusted inwards sufficiently to restore to near factory setting.

If you mod the vehicle you can go more but changes have to be made which are not std bits.

Most CV's break because they are transmitting high or sudden torque through a cv which is not only running at an increased droop angle but also turned to lock at the same time. That brings the trunnion balls near to the edge of the CV bell where it's strength is less and blows it open.

I suppose some trunnions have broken because of sudden speed of wheel being halted by gripping while plenty of torque is being forced down the drive shaft. The trunnion balls are only a ball which has no centre and a needle roller inside it. When you look at the metal surface contact of each individual part in the system, needle rollers, hardened trunnion balls, trunnion spider splined to a drive shaft, many people will treat them with a degree of respect. You seem to have a wise idea regarding their use.

If you raise the vehicle a little I can't see why a diff drop can't be an advantage. After all, with any lift the amount the trunnion balls are traversing the CV inner grooves is increased and run that way ALL their life, unless you fit FWHubs, and then they only run when the hubs are locked. Unlocked also allows you to maneouvre trailers and do backing in tight spaces on hard surfaces without driveline wind up.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:38 pm 

I have a 3" lift in mine and diff drop as well 130k on the clock fair bit of off roading never had a problem with cv's have bent steering arms though but would say i was unlucky there launched up a hill and bounced it landing on a nasty tree root

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:22 am 

evenstephenss wrote:
Thanks mate, are you running a diff drop? I only have 245-75-16s as well, which should reduce stress on the driveline.

Sorry mate missed this, no diff drop on mine I have given it some thought. I think the. Benefits outweigh the negatives, What suspension & diff drop kit are you looking at?