NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM

NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM
It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:43 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

We have NEW server almost ready, try it out here

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:55 pm 

My brother has ordered an SX cab chassis which he will be putting a steel tray on. He intends to put a slide on camper on the back in the future and is therefore interested in a GVM upgrade. He is concerned about the quality of the ride without a load on the back. Can anyone out there with a cab chassis and the GVM upgrade provide any views. Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:59 pm 

Cant comment first hand on the above

But i predict he is going to get on a first name basis with a back surgeon ;-)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:11 am 

Hi
Jackofjr would know, I think he has 600kg rear springs on his space cab.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:56 am 

I hope he is getting the GVM upgrade prior to delivery/rego.

The only kit available is OME.

I had it done to mine for essentially the same reasons and took delivery about 4 weeks ago. I wanted the versatility of a tray back, the security and convenience of a canopy and the ability to take the canopy off by myself without and without having to empty the contents of it. I also intend to put a roof rack on the canopy with a roof top tent so that when I go camping/hunting, I can still use the vehicle without having to pack up the tent every day and will also have secure storage at the campsite.

I have an LS-Terrain and have front springs rated for a steel bullbar and winch and the rear has 300kg constant load. With no bullbar and the stock tub, the ride was firm - not really harsh, just more sports car like. With the canopy on, it rides really well in the back and I reckon it will be spot on once the AFN bullbar FINALLY arrives in late July.

Tell your brother to do himself a favour and NOT get a steel tray - you throw hundreds of kilos of GVM out the window before you put anything on it. Furthermore, don't get the Isuzu factory trays as an aftermarket one has a lot more area.

My tray is a single sheet of 4mm high tensile aluminium that is welded continuously the whole way around with the edges being 5mm check plate ally wrapped around 1" ally bar with 2.5mm walls - they will never bend and do not flex even with nearly 200kg of force. The sideboards are 3mm aluminium. All fittings are 316 stainless and through bolted. The tray weighs about 70kg. The sideboards add about another 8-10kg. The 3 door wind-off canopy is ~130-140kg.

It was all built by Norweld and I couldn't find another fabricator that came within 1000 miles of their build quality, engineering and lifetime warranty. The trays and canopies are not vehicle make/model specific - if you get a new vehicle, call them up and they'll make and send you a new set of mount rails specific to your new vehicle.

Here are some pics of my rig (click on the thumbnails for full size) - I need to start a build thread... 8-)

Let me know if you have any questions...

Ben.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:46 am 

I have SX cab chassis, alu. tray & dobinson 40mm lift, without any weight the rebound is "brisk", setting one up for a slide-on & running no weight the term "vicious" comes to mind, my back is already suspect so I wear a MX style kidney belt 4wd driving & it helps take the edge right out of the hits, can't do without it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:27 pm 

Guipago wrote:
I have SX cab chassis, alu. tray & dobinson 40mm lift, without any weight the rebound is "brisk", setting one up for a slide-on & running no weight the term "vicious" comes to mind, my back is already suspect so I wear a MX style kidney belt 4wd driving & it helps take the edge right out of the hits, can't do without it.

Hi Guipago
Do you know what front and rear spring rating or the part numbers please.

Cheers
Ross

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:03 pm 

ARROW wrote:
Guipago wrote:

Hi Guipago
Do you know what front and rear spring rating or the part numbers please.

Cheers
Ross

Can't find the receipt, it's somewhere "safe", so have a nose thru their web site www.dobinsonsprings.com
I asked for something better than std, yep real technical :D & had a bar fitted as well, don't think they had the +20mm front springs avail. when I got it done, they would be good if you just fitted a bar & didn't want a lift.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:05 pm 

morphias wrote:
I hope he is getting the GVM upgrade prior to delivery/rego.

The only kit available is OME.

Ben.

OME is not the only kit available, there are at least another 2 and one of them is Lovells I'm pretty sure, can't think of the other, or do it my way and install the suspension of your choice and pay 500 bucks to have it engineered.

Google search trick- site:newd-max.net search term here
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1684
Build thread viewtopic.php?f=16&t=549

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:46 pm 

Thanks Guipago
Feed back helps everybody I think.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:43 pm 

I have a SX MY15 Spacecab with a OME GVM upgrade. It has an alloy tray from O'Briens which is slightly longer than normal.
The front springs are for a winch and steel bar. The rears are 300kg to GVM and the rear shockies are the heavier ones of the 2 you can choose. The ride is a bit jiggly but certainly not unbearable. You can fix it a bit by lowering the rear tyre pressure to around 32psi. You could also elect to use the softer shockies OR get a set of each and change them when you put the camper on the back. I am also going to have a slide on camper but not the yankee style of one which can weigh 750kg or more. See my build thread. It's all there.
My ride is NOT really bad but it certainly isn't car like.
Read the OME website to get the description of the springs. Their terminology does not mention 'constant' rate springs. eg mine will offer the best ride with 300kg TO GVM. You are not going to get a plush ride with whatever you do as it has to be a compromise to fit your purpose. If you are going to use a yankee style of slide on they could well weigh 1000kg fully loaded so I reckon the 600kg to GVM would be the go but the unladen ride would be a bit ordinary.
Horses for courses...what you put on it should determine what set up you have to use.

MY15 SX Spacecab,ARB GVM Upgrade,Auto,White,Tinted,Towbar,2.2m O'Brien Alloy Tray,Trundle Draw,ARB Deluxe Steel Bar, Ironman 9500lb Monster Winch,Alloys,Mortels sheepskin seat covers,ARB Sidesteps and Rails,Plenty of Dynamat,Safari Snorkus,AVM HP Hubs

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next