NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM

NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM
It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:43 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

We have NEW server almost ready, try it out here

Post subject: Fox Shocks kit for Dmax
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:58 am 

I'm not sure how new this is, but I've just seen that Fox shocks now do a kit for the Dmax:

ImageImage

Updated with some pics I found from facebook:

Coil over front: http://www.ridefox.com/product.php?make ... ref=filter
Smooth body rear: http://www.ridefox.com/product.php?make ... ref=filter

Front is 0-2" lift, rear 0-1.5"

A pair of the rear dampers can be had for about $500 landed...fronts are lot more expensive at $1500 a pair for assembled struts and coils.

Searching forums I've not found any specific feedback from Dmax owners, but would be great to hear from anyone that's got them. I would expect a fairly high standard from Fox, as they're no stranger to off-road suspension.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:24 am 

They look good, be keen to see how they perform. I see Arctic Trucks has used this in their official monster conversion of the dmax (AT35).. So would imagine they're good.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:06 am 

I wrote to Fox to try and find out what sort of payload etc they've valved these shocks and they got back to me quite quickly, which is already a plus I think. Here's what they had to say:

"Generally shocks are made to compliment the springs(stock) in supporting the wide range of weight ratings a vehicle is capable of, unlike manufactures like bilstein we valve specifically for each vehicle and use flutter shim stacks to provide a more controlled ride low speed and unweighted as well as having enough dampening to support the vehicles payload.

Essentially just like the springrate in your vehicle, there is a tradeoff in ride handling, load capability, and comfort. We believe our engineers and tuners strike a very competitive balance, but I try not to tell people what their experience will be or make sales driven promises."

I'd guess they are probably optimal with a few 100kgs on board.

I also managed to get a very short answer from an overseas facebook user with them installed, and got a "yes, I like them". I'm hoping to get some more info from that person, but we'll see how that goes.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:25 am 

Out of interest, these are at a very similar price and set up (i.e. based on stock springs) to the Isuzu Motosports remote reservoir shocks (note the iM shocks I'm referring to are not on the iM website):

I got some details back from iM regarding their shocks:
Body - 52mm. Body diameters - Smooth bore, clear coated ,steel body.
Shaft - 20mm. Large, hard chrome plated and heat treated alloy steel.
Reservoir - Remote - 52mm. Body diameters-Steel coated and chrome plated cylinder, mono tube to reduces heat pressure.
Piston - The heat treated aluminium alloy piston has our highly developed that contribute to the unique clamping performance. Heat treated stainless alloy valve shims have a unique grain structure that does not fracture and remains stable at high temperatures to maintain consistent valve function.
Adjustments
- Nitrogen gas pressurized to up to 200PSI
- Compression valving (5 shim stack)
- Rebound valving (5 shim stack)
Can be service and rebuild, need special tool, parts and shock oil.
This shock are better to carry about 200-300kg in the back, this shock are not increase any suspension travel.

I've been for a quick ride in a LS-T with the iM shocks, unladen on low profile tyres and the small bump seems fairly similar to stock...but handled bigger hits much better than stock. Would be great to test the different shocks back to back.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:41 pm 

looks great mate.

Ive been looking at these too! id be interested to see how they compare price and performance wise to the brand new bypass BP51's from ARB.

Also i notice they just come as a shock set in the back. Do they recommend a particular brand/spring rate for a replacement leaf pack in the back too?