NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM

NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM
It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:58 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

We have NEW server almost ready, try it out here

Post subject: Koni shocks.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:45 pm 

It appears Koni now have the 'Raids' for the Dmaxs that have a 0-30mm lift. I'm checking out a set for the rears next week when I am in Melbourne. Price could be a factor in which case I will settle for the heavy tracks.

MY15 SX Spacecab,ARB GVM Upgrade,Auto,White,Tinted,Towbar,2.2m O'Brien Alloy Tray,Trundle Draw,ARB Deluxe Steel Bar, Ironman 9500lb Monster Winch,Alloys,Mortels sheepskin seat covers,ARB Sidesteps and Rails,Plenty of Dynamat,Safari Snorkus,AVM HP Hubs

Post subject: Re: Koni shocks.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:16 pm 

Just can't help yourself can you?...

Google search trick- site:newd-max.net search term here
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1684
Build thread viewtopic.php?f=16&t=549

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:05 pm 

It's hard to stop danno :D :lol:

MY15 SX Spacecab,ARB GVM Upgrade,Auto,White,Tinted,Towbar,2.2m O'Brien Alloy Tray,Trundle Draw,ARB Deluxe Steel Bar, Ironman 9500lb Monster Winch,Alloys,Mortels sheepskin seat covers,ARB Sidesteps and Rails,Plenty of Dynamat,Safari Snorkus,AVM HP Hubs

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:41 pm 

I am in Melbourne at my brothers place and today I went over to top Performance to get a set of Koni shocks for the rears. I whacked them on this afternoon....forgot to grease the rubbers....I will attend to that after I get home. Can't comment yet on any difference I notice. I drove it around the block and nothing is noticeable to me which I guess is very understandable.
After speaking to Ian at TP and letting him see my rig he advised me to just stick with the Heavy Tracks and not the Raids.
My mate in Newstead has know Ian for many a year and I think the price I got was pretty fair. $408 for a set. The fronts are a fair bit dearer but I won't be doing them for a while.
The OME ones have done 51k and to tell the truth they seemed to still be in good condition. I've always considered them a bit harsh so when the camper comes off maybe I will get a better idea.
The Konis have had the rebound set to what the fellow considered correct for my use.
There is something I need to check as I did think a GVM upgrade officially could be negated by using different shocks to the ones that were supplied with the GVM upgrade kit but Ian tells me this is not correct. I am assuming he knows what he is talking about but might do some more homework on it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:55 pm 

OK. Back home now after 600ks on the Konis. Hard to tell really. I think the rear is 'quieter'. It doesn't seem to be 'banging' into the bumps as much. Possibly a bit smoother/softer.
Once I change the tyres back to the H/T's and get the camper off I should get a better idea of what is going on.
If anyone wants the OME ones I have let me know. Free of charge...they still seem like they are fine.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:13 pm 

Silver05
The shocks on a vehicle are not what holds it up, that is the springs, so the shocks should not be an issue for a GVM upgrade because they are not a supporting item. They are a mass control device.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:11 am 

I did think that the upgrade was a 'package' and could not be changed to be legal but it appears all is good if you change the shocks. A bit of grease certainly made them easier to put on!!
I had fun getting them back off though. Very tight and I was given then a wiggle and really putting as much force as I could on one and of course when it got to the end it just came off easy and I smacked myself right between the eyes with the lower part and blood came straight out and I looked like I had been shot between the eyes...lots of fun :roll:
Then I thought I would grease the bushes on the front sway bar. Got it off Ok but it took me over an hour to get it back on. I just couldn't get the leverage to push the bar back up to get both bolts back in. Didn't do the other side but will have a go without taking the bracket off completely. must be a catch to it to do it easily.
I did however find where the squeaks are coming from I think...the bushes in the wishbones appears to be the culprits.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:14 am 

I can vouch for Konis being a good shock for those that like to play with rebound adjustment.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:42 pm 

I told Ian at Top performance about the rear end lift with the GVM upgrade...it was almost 80mm unladen but is good with a load on and he gave a set with a longer travel. He has seen TPOS with the camper on and I think he said he did a 3/4 turn on the rebound.
I have been driving around a little and will be heading off to Mallacoota on Monday next week. My impression is still the same...the rear seems to not be thumping over the bumps and it's possible it is handling a bit better.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 7:50 am 

Just a bit of an update on my thoughts. The load is now off and it certainly changes things. No doubt the POS settles quicker through corners and it really works great with the camper on the back. A great improvement. Unladen there is not a real lot of difference in the ride. Again...it's just not as busy...seems to do things with less banging. It does handle better overall but the real difference was with the load on. Pretty happy with them.