NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM

NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM
It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:23 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

We have NEW server almost ready, try it out here

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:14 am 

Hi guys,
i am in the process of purchasing a Dmax LS-M x-runner. will be using it for a family vehicle, towing camper trailer on holidays and hopefully a small caravan in the future. from what i am reading the heavy duty suspension on the LS-M is a rough ride, as i have not yet received delivery of the car i am going to talk to the dealership about changing the suspension and running gear to the same as the LS-U , with the aim of achieving the higher clearance and softer ride. I was wondering if this was a good idea or not. i am wanting to preserve my warranty but achieve a good ride and higher clearance. any suggestions? any idea on what the cost should be, i don't want to be ripped by the dealer. im not mechanically minded so keep it simple please guys.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:15 am 

pmhughesy wrote:
Hi guys,
i am in the process of purchasing a Dmax LS-M x-runner. will be using it for a family vehicle, towing camper trailer on holidays and hopefully a small caravan in the future. from what i am reading the heavy duty suspension on the LS-M is a rough ride, as i have not yet received delivery of the car i am going to talk to the dealership about changing the suspension and running gear to the same as the LS-U , with the aim of achieving the higher clearance and softer ride. I was wondering if this was a good idea or not. i am wanting to preserve my warranty but achieve a good ride and higher clearance. any suggestions? any idea on what the cost should be, i don't want to be ripped by the dealer. im not mechanically minded so keep it simple please guys.

From what you are reading? If that's the case perhaps take one for a drive...?? I think you'll find the "rough ride" thing is overblown somewhat, my own vehicle with 450kg (nearly twice standard) springs in the rear was still perfectly acceptable especially with an intelligent choice of shockies. But most importantly you are purchasing a LEAF SPRUNG vehicle if you want it to ride like a passenger car both empty and loaded this is not the suspension configuration for you and consider a coil sprung wagon with airbags instead, maybe an MUX??

Nothing you've proposed above is a good idea for a number of reasons or will gain you a higher ride and the difference in the ride itself will be virtually unnoticeable anyway, for a start the standard shockies are woeful and would need to be changed to aftermarket anyway if you intend to tow same goes for the springs be it LSM or LSU and I suspect and hope that the dealership would refuse anyway.

If warranty concerns you (and it should because with Isuzu it's virtually non existent anyway) consider having the GVM upgraded before you take delivery of the vehicle by the dealership, that way you get the upgraded suspension, raised ride height, and the GVM upgrade it sorely needs and if it's been fitted by the dealership at least some recourse with any warranty issues.

There is 5 pages of suspension topics here very well covering everything that has been written above please take the time to read through and familiarise yourself with the relevant topics.

Could you please stick your location in your profile please mate.

Google search trick- site:newd-max.net search term here
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1684
Build thread viewtopic.php?f=16&t=549

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:20 pm 

If you are towing a camper trailer (ball weight 100-200kg) similar to a small caravan plus all the family kinda gear the LSM is the better of the two.
But upgrading to a 250-300kg constant load leaf or even a 0-300kg if you have the ute empty, would be a better choice. What are you going to be carrying in the back of the tray/tub ? Any other mods like steel sidesteps bullbar, rear towbar step ? That will all add weight to the vechile