NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM

NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM
It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:28 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

We have NEW server almost ready, try it out here

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 1:39 pm 

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone could please dig out a wheel alignment sheet and let me know how many degrees of camber a 2013 DMax should have? Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 5:42 pm 

LasVegas
Although around 30min positive it doesn't mean a lot. Depending on the use of the vehicle either loaded or empty, the camber alters with load and rise of the front. Becomes more negative with rear load/front rising. The toe in will become toe out with load in rear when it also alters the caster. I hope you understand the relativity of all a settings.
A Digital angle guage can be used to check camber and caster very easily.
The vehicle will always pull to the least positive caster side if not near equal.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 5:11 am 

Hi mydmax,

Thanks, I'm not sure what the 30min you mention is referring to - I'm just chasing the figure in degrees the alignment shop will set the vehicle to when they do an alignment. I have access to a clino and want to set mine myself and wondered if anyone still has the alignment sheet the from the shop.

Cheers,

LasVegas

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 6:49 am 

LasVegas
In EVERY degree there is 60 minutes of angle. 1/2 a degree IS 30 min. Ist year of secondary school maths/science.
The alignment shop will set it to the specs BUT that isn't necessarily suitable for what your use actually is. Therefore adjusting it to be correct under the situation you use it in is the way to go.
They set it or you set it, then load up, and the toe in/out and camber WILL be immediately out of whack before you get the wheels turning.
Just yesterday I followed a tradie Isuzu which had the front wheels rotated to the back. The insides edges of both wheels were almost worn smooth with good tread on the outside. Obviously from the front nose up wear pattern over a period of time. Wider rim offset also makes it worse effect.

If your vehicle is lifted at the front you may immediately run out of adjustment on lower arms as that is the only place to adjust with later vehicles.
Adjusting has to be done evenly on those cams as any out of synch means caster is badly affected if not kept same same. If wrong it will then pull to one side.

You should measure ALL angles, camber and caster and toe in BEFORE making any adjustments so you know what has altered and what to reverse if necessary. That way you now what is was from the factory. Some are wrong or uneven when new.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 8:45 am 

Thanks mydmax, I feel so stupid for not knowing 1st year maths and science. Appreciate the reply.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 11:01 am 

Las Vegas
It is just a conceptual thing and unless you are working with it it doesn't make sense straight away. No damage done.
The 2013 Dmax is similar in it's upper and lower arms except the spring mehtod is coil on shock instead of torsion bar on lower arm.
Therefore the angles and toe it/out are same. Same design.
Most alignment places just set to specs and that is it. However, much more consideration should be given to the use of the vehicle.

This is typical specs for this design suspension system. From Isuzu manual.
All comments below in brackets below I have added.

CASTER ( becomes more caster when rear is downward from normal. approx. 25mm down at rear increases caster around 1 degree) (Mine is set to less than OE specs but is slightly more than OE specs when rear is loaded or towing Cvan.)

Isuzu Specs 3°35'±45' (This is adjustable.)

Note: Left and right side to be equal within 30' ( best to have less difference though. If any discrepancy, the LHS should be slightly more than RHS to assist road camber left drift. If RHS is more than LHS it will drift left at all times.)

CAMBER ( This will become less when rear is loaded because of the top arm ball joint swinging inward more than the lower arm ball joint does)( Amount varies with lifted amount)
(If any side to side difference the LHS can be less a small amount, ie, closer to vertical) (Because the Isuzu use reverse Ackerman steering design, when turning U turns mostly to the right of course, the LHS wheel will turn INWARD more than the RHS wheel does and so it will scrub the edge off the tyre. Less +ve camber, ie, closer to vertical will reduce shoulder wear.)

Isuzu Specs 0°±30'
Note: Left and right side to be equal within 30'

KING PIN INCLINATION ( THis is fixed by design of front axle support and where it holds the ball joints in relation to the axle/wheel bearings)
Isuzu Specs 12°30'±30'