NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM

NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM
It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:42 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

We have NEW server almost ready, try it out here

Post subject: SAX suspension
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:53 am 

Was very tempted to fit the SAX suspension when I was upgrading but read some horror stories on the web and got scared off. I know my mate Bruce has had an excellent run with SAX but I just wasn't convinced. Just found the below on ExplorOz if anybody is interested. Reposted as it is the first actual bad experience I have read about on a Dmax/Colorado.

http://www.exploroz.com/Forum/Topic/109 ... x%3fpn%3d1

Do not put Sax springs on a colarado as i have a 2013 which i work off road and my vehicle is under tare weight and put a new set of sax 3 stage springs on as Holden Petrie said they were the best springs suited to my car $1400 with 5 year waranty , they lasted 6 months then snapped so rand Sax who said as i didn;t put their shockies on with springs that no warranty will be given (no one told me this when i bought them). So sax said they will make a set of springs for my car which won't need their shockies so the give me a discount and charged $500 but the snapped again last week so they only lasted 6 months. So i will let you know what the outcome is on these broken springs as they have a long weekend and can't get in touch with them. BUT I WILL NEVER GO NEASR SAX SPRINGS AGAIN AS THE ORIGINAL CLORADO SPRINGS WERE STRONGER??

Post subject: Re: SAX suspension
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:55 pm 

I'll ring Sax this week and I'll ask them about their warranty conditions and get them to send me a copy, which I'll post, I've heard these horror stories before about Sax and certain other mobs and their fine print, so lets find out for sure.

A small percentage of happy customers will get on a forum and rave about and recommend a product but a large percentage of unhappy customers will get on and groan and tell everyone who'll listen not to buy, it throws the balance out and of course who do we listen to?

How do we know what Daryll was using his vehicle for? all he says is he broke a couple, but what was he doing at the time? were his shocks stuffed? was he over GVM at the time? a disgruntled customer who wants to vent on a forum is not going to admit they had anything to do with a product failing, look at Isuzumu's post above that, it's completely the opposite, the only concerning part of that post is Sax's attitude towards him, which I've heard before and other things as well, which is why I'll call.

And no, I'm not endorsing Sax springs in any way shape or form, nor do I use them, I'm just pointing out the other side of the picture and one of the many downsides to social media.

Google search trick- site:newd-max.net search term here
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1684
Build thread viewtopic.php?f=16&t=549

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:49 am 

I think I would go close to 600 Kg in the back of the D.Max which includes a tow ball weight of 180 Kg. So the weight on my Sax springs is up there, may be some one else is making the springs now?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:23 am 

Heres a link to the fine print for any who's interested, will be ringing for the fine fine print. http://www.saxsuspension.com/iterms.html

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:23 am 

If the suspension dealer doesn't ask you what you want out of your suspension and what your gunna use it for don't bother. There are that many combos out there today and they are all designed for a purpose ( some better then others) you need to figure out what you want from your suspension as well.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:16 pm 

I've just recently fitted a full Sax 3SDS lift, including new springs and shocks all round on my 2013 Dmax SX Space Cab. I had a steel Fleet Trades 2100 tray fitted by the dealer when I picked it up, and the stock rear springs were flat when unladen (no curve at all). Compared with my wife's 2013 LSM tub back with an ARB canopy, mine with the tray was about 15mm lower on the back springs (both measured empty with a full tank of fuel). The rear bump stops only had about 48 - 50 mm clearance. It would drop almost all that when hooking up our camper trailer.

I haven't done much off-roading since I got it, but intend doing some outback touring towing the camper trailer. I also do a little bit of bush driving every now and then. Had done about 40K on the stock springs, and there were marks showing that the stock suspension had bottomed out on both front and back quite often. In short, the stock rear springs were useless!

I phoned SAX and spoke to one of their engineers. He spent quite a bit of time asking me what my needs are, usage, towing, etc. I'm not a tradie, so don't carry a lot of tools around (only a toolbox, and some recovery gear). I was also planning on fitting an Ironman Deluxe Commercial BB with a Warn 9000 winch. He also checked the weight of the tray from the manufacturer.

After a bit of thinking, and another call to him, he recommended their Performance pack for both front and back. Includes new springs on the rear with the 3rd stage leaf, and performance pack coils and struts on the front. Also fitted their shocks all round.

I fitted the BB and winch a few weeks before the lift kit, and it dropped the front about 15mm. I then fitted the lift kit a couple of weeks ago. I've now done about 2000Km on it, so I think they have bedded in a bit.

My DMax now rides about 75mm higher than my wife's LSM at the rear (again, both measured empty with a full tank of fuel), and about 30mm higher at the front.

It obviously feels higher, and has a bit of a fiercer attitude, but I find that the ride is firm, but comfortable. The stock suspension was quite harsh (given that the rear springs rode flat when empty). The new suspension is a bit softer at the rear when empty, corners well, rides over speed humps much better with no bounce, etc.

I measured the tail shaft angles before the lift, haven't had a chance to measure the angles since. I haven't noticed any vibrations in the tail shaft, at any stage in acceleration or speed.

I'm very happy with the kit, and look forward to towing our trailer now. I think it should handle much better when towing, with all our camping gear, etc,

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:26 pm 

Great to hear another positive story. With more feedback, a more informed decision can be made. Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:47 pm 

Cheeky buggers got two!

Be interesting to see how it goes over 10000-15000 or so, keep us informed of anything negative or positive.

Did they indicate that you had to use their shocks to maintain warranty at all?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:01 pm 

As they say a happy customer will tell a few of his friends a angry customer will tell everyone.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:56 am 

Didn't mention anything explicit about requiring to use their shocks for warranty. Will have to check the documentation.