NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM

NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM
It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:27 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

We have NEW server almost ready, try it out here

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: SAX suspension
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:18 pm 

It has taken me a while to get back on this subject, but it seems that the people that broke their third stage leaf spring did not tighten the nuts after a couple hundred Ks. Which I had done by my local garage as Sax wanted to do it them selves but were happy when I sent them the invoice that it had been done by a competent mechanic. As this is clearly stated in their warranty.
Now over 2 years old and 70K and we have no shudders or other problems, it has been lifted 4".

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 1:39 pm 

I had SAX suspension on a 2000 Holden Rodeo and the experience was 'interesting'. Three different sets of rear springs and the last ones weren't too bad. I think that the underslung, short, high camber springs on that generation rodeo was not well suited to the Sax Spring. There was also a reasonable amount of evolution in the spring design over that time.

Now that I have my new D-Max I am considering going back. The main reason I am considering SAX is that their 3SDS rear spring is the only adjustable leaf spring on the market (without going to airbags). I ran the old ute on the heavy setting and it was good day to day and could carry a good load when heading bush. When I removed roof racks, draws etc etc getting ready to sell it the ride was very firm so I set the rear springs to the softer setting and it was better, verging on good. I figure that from empty to fully loaded was around a 600 kg difference - there are not many springs that are comfortable at both ends of a range that big.

I'd like to know from those of you who have SAX springs if you use the adjustment on the third stage? What sort of loads and what difference does it make to the ride height? Which generation of spring do you have (I think they are up to the 4th)?

I've included the adjustment instructions so those not familiar can follow along.

Cheers,
CH2

Attachment:
adjust.jpg
adjust.jpg [ 70.74 KiB | Viewed 7945 times ]

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 3:40 pm 

SAX is that their 3SDS rear spring is the only adjustable leaf spring on the market (without going to airbags).

very interesting ch2 :?: ,can you tell me what lift is on the lowest setting with these springs fitted? i dont want the traditional 50mm lift height that everyone else seems to be running (probably not by choice) :) due to cv angles :)

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 6:15 pm 

d-mac wrote:
can you tell me what lift is on the lowest setting with these springs fitted

This is exactly the information I am looking for. I had them on an old Rodeo, so don't know want to compare them to newer vehicles. The owner of SAX admitted he had not done much R&D on the TF Rodeo as it was an old design (12 years when I bought the springs) compared to the new generation of trucks. While they might appear simple, there's a lot to leaf spring design: material selection, camber, overall length, the number, width and length of leaves, number of stages, parabolic or constant (changes in thickness along each leaf), eye design, over or under slung.... This is why I am keen to hear the experience of people with the MY12+ D-Max.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 5:57 am 

Our 09/2012 model has now done 75K with the Sax suspension. The rear hanger is on the bottom hole and the front on the second. So on the front I am on the over 500Kg, if you put the rear to the upper hole you will get an extra 15mm. We have towed for around 50K and no problems. With the ball weight, full tank 130Ls we would be around 600Kg and it rides the same empty, with or without the van on. We have travelled the GRR and Gulf and about to do the same in June/July this year.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 8:30 pm 

Bruce, I think I've read on here that you got a 4" lift from the Sax suspension - is that over standard height (so rear centre of wheel to top of wheel arch would be about 640 mm) and with what load? Also, when you are loaded up with the trailer on (600 kg), what is the ride height then? 4" from standard would be too much for what I want, I'd be happy if at GVM we were at about standard height.

How sure are you of the 600 kg? Have you weighed the truck? I ask this as I am always surprised how quickly a family of four, tow bar, bull bar, side steps, radios, floor matts, long range tanks, fuel in the tank, roof rack, awning, bigger tyres, canopy, second battery, battery charger add up. Then add camping gear.....

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 5:40 am 

ch2 wrote:
Bruce, I think I've read on here that you got a 4" lift from the Sax suspension - is that over standard height (so rear centre of wheel to top of wheel arch would be about 640 mm) and with what load? Also, when you are loaded up with the trailer on (600 kg), what is the ride height then? 4" from standard would be too much for what I want, I'd be happy if at GVM we were at about standard height.

How sure are you of the 600 kg? Have you weighed the truck? I ask this as I am always surprised how quickly a family of four, tow bar, bull bar, side steps, radios, floor matts, long range tanks, fuel in the tank, roof rack, awning, bigger tyres, canopy, second battery, battery charger add up. Then add camping gear.....

Have not weight it but have 310Kg with ball weight/fuel tank alone. 80 litre fridge freezer chockers with frozen meat and grog, two .......bugger I will just take a photo and post :lol: So yep not sure probably over that as there is a battery charger and lots of other stuff under the wings. But the suspension has held up very well, i's been on for 2 1/2 years and there would probably not another D.Max that can handle as well as this one.

Attachments:
P1050371 small 11.jpg
P1050371 small 11.jpg [ 252.14 KiB | Viewed 7863 times ]

Last edited by Isuzumu on Tue May 12, 2015 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 5:44 am 

The height from the ground up is 920 that's without the van, which I think goes down around 40mm.

Attachments:
P1050373 small.jpg
P1050373 small.jpg [ 257.93 KiB | Viewed 7863 times ]
P1050370 small.jpg
P1050370 small.jpg [ 260.81 KiB | Viewed 7863 times ]

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 7:54 am 

Is that twin money box piggies I see there Bruce?? :lol: :lol:

Google search trick- site:newd-max.net search term here
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1684
Build thread viewtopic.php?f=16&t=549

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 8:42 am 

Isuzumu wrote:
ch2 wrote:

Have not weight it but have 310Kg with ball weight/fuel tank alone. 80 litre fridge freezer chockers with frozen meat and grog, two .......bugger I will just take a photo and post :lol: So yep not sure probably over that as there is a battery charger and lots of other stuff under the wings. But the suspension has held up very well, i's been on for 2 1/2 years and there would probably not another D.Max that can handle as well as this one.

Off topic, are they your pink slippers in the drawers mate? :oops:

2012 LS-T, Mineral Grey. ARB Canopy, Traderack, Bullbar, Airtech Snorkel, XDC winch, Xray Vision driving lights, TX3345 GME radio, Dual Battery via Redarc VSR, OME 300kg Constant load suspension, factory towbar, Dueler 697 LT tyres, now 70,000km

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next