NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM

NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM
It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:20 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

We have NEW server almost ready, try it out here

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:32 pm 

For those with steel bullbar on the front and stock suspension how do you find how the suspension holds up? I'm expecting a bit of drop in the front but don't want to compromise on comfort. To raise the front can I get away with just running bilstein shocks and 40mm plus springs up front? Should you match the upgrades at the rear?

Anyone track down front bilsteins from the U.S.?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:47 pm 

I am thinking about the same thing. Just got my Dobinson deluxe bar :D and now looking for a winch.

When I did my NS Pajero up, ARB bar and 9000 winch, I just changed out the coils with Lovell springs. HD 2 inch lift all round which is the mid spec upgrade for Lovells. The next level up was mine spec so heavy loads all day work. Kept the shocks and struts on the Pajero as they are said to be made by Bilstenis. It improved the ride heaps, even with the standard shocks, less body roll firm but not harsh and lifted up the nose, noticeable lift but not over the top. I don’t bash along dirt tracks day in day out so not really interested in expensive suspension up grades.

I had a look at the stock shocks that are fitted to the D Max and they are made by KYB. KYB are one of the more reputable players in the shock business so I am thinking about just changing out the front coils with Lovells, to get the height back plus a bit and leave the rest as is. That will cost about $300 plus a wheel alignment. I am quite happy with the stock ride of the LS dual cab and don’t think a $2000 suspension upgrade will really be worth it for the driving I do. What ya thing D max tribe?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:09 pm 

Cheese wrote:
For those with steel bullbar on the front and stock suspension how do you find how the suspension holds up? I'm expecting a bit of drop in the front but don't want to compromise on comfort. To raise the front can I get away with just running bilstein shocks and 40mm plus springs up front? Should you match the upgrades at the rear?

I have a steel front bar, no winch, and upgraded to 40mm higher Dobinson coils with Bilsteins in the front but also upgraded the rear. See page 2 of my build for some comparison photos viewtopic.php?f=16&t=751&start=10

No compromise in comfort. In fact, a significant improvement in comfort. But I reckon you need to do all shockies, not just the front. Guess you could leave the stock rear leaves.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:14 pm 

Dopomax wrote:
I am quite happy with the stock ride of the LS dual cab and don’t think a $2000 suspension upgrade will really be worth it for the driving I do. What ya thing D max tribe?

What do you have, an LS-M or an LS-U? Two different rear suspensions. LS-M is heavy duty.

Better shocks will significantly improve your ride and handling :D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:31 pm 

I fitted an ARB steel bar and noticed the drop and you could notice the difference in handling ie braking, cornering; it felt very nose heavy. Old Man Emu kit on and feels much better in every situation. Costly but worth it for what my opinion is worth.

2012 LS-T, Mineral Grey. ARB Canopy, Traderack, Bullbar, Airtech Snorkel, XDC winch, Xray Vision driving lights, TX3345 GME radio, Dual Battery via Redarc VSR, OME 300kg Constant load suspension, factory towbar, Dueler 697 LT tyres, now 70,000km

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:41 pm 

Cheese wrote:

When I just had the bull bar on it dropped the front less than 10mm and made it slightly more "wallowy", not enough to worry too much, but when the winch went on it turned into a prawn trawler and dropped another 10, good shocks will fix that but it sits a bit low on the front now, as for raising the front only I'll be putting my new suspension in next week and I reckon you could almost get away with it, I sort of hope so as my new rear springs are 450kg to GVM constant and it's going to sit way too high until I load her up to go.

Google search trick- site:newd-max.net search term here
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1684
Build thread viewtopic.php?f=16&t=549

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:45 pm 

Ok, thanks. Bugger I was hoping to hear more like "nah she'll be right mate. Stock suspension will be fine" :lol:

Dobomax I got the dobinson deluxe as well. You happy with it?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:04 pm 

I'm still running the factory suspension on my 2013 LS-M. I have fitted a steel TJM bullbar, 9000lb winch with steel cable, and front brushbar/side steps.

I can't really say I've noticed a binary difference ie it's suddenly good or bad. Can notice it's slightly lower - as to be expected - but the handling and dynamics, well honestly can't really say it's better or worse.

I suppose this is because the accessories have been fitted separately over the past 18 months. Cumulative effect hasn't been noticed. I am sure that if I was to drive a brand new LS-M with nothing up front I'd notice a difference in driving dynamics.

If you checkout my recent pictures in the trips section - viewtopic.php?f=32&t=873 - you'll see how it all sits. But also, I've fitted slightly taller tyres which fill in the guards, so the pictures will be misleading when comparing to factory wheels too, in terms of how low the suspension is.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:21 pm 

Similar to Danno.
Bullbar dropped 25mm and became a bit "wollowee" didn't put the winch in.
After 2" dobinsons all round, all much better.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:38 pm 

If your after a factory coil feel you can go to outback armour front struts and space the coil up to your preference you can make it sit 20 to 60 mm higher.