NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM

NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM
It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:43 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

We have NEW server almost ready, try it out here

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:59 pm 

Cheese wrote:
Ok, thanks. Bugger I was hoping to hear more like "nah she'll be right mate. Stock suspension will be fine" :lol:

Dopomax I got the dobinson deluxe as well. You happy with it?

Re the Dobinson Bar, yep. Very happy. :lol: Looked at heaps of other bars but the Dobinson/MCC is one of the best for the current D Max. I am an ARB man from way back, but the D max bar post 2012 design must have been a rush job as its no way as neat and good looking as most of their other bars. :? It sits out too far and looks too big if you don’t have a colour coded bar.

Yet to fit the bar, just ordered the 11000 lb red Runva winch package deal. :) So next week should be bolt up time for winch and bar. I ordered two Dobinson bars, extra for my mate. Dobinson were hopeless, would not return request for quote via their web site and when I called them said they would call back with a price but never did. Ended up getting the bars via TJM of all places for $1400 each. Really well wrapped and I was surprised with the high quality of a bar that’s almost $1000 cheaper than similar from those with 3 letters in their name. Came with fog lights already fitted and wire looms switches etc for SX. I have LS-M so it’s all plug and play and I now have another spare light wiring loom kit. All of the nuts are nyloc which is great as springs washers are old hat. Pictures once it’s all bolted up.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:53 am 

Ok, might just see how it goes with stock suspension and down the track upgrade front and rear. Give me some time to convince the misses I need new suspension for the bullbar :lol: I'm not going to run a winch, just some spotties. Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Dopomax, I'm still waiting on my bulbar from dobinsons 5 weeks later. I got it for a good price and that's the only reason I'm still waiting.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:44 am 

Dopomax wrote:
Cheese wrote:
Ok, thanks. Bugger I was hoping to hear more like "nah she'll be right mate. Stock suspension will be fine" :lol:

Re the Dobinson Bar, yep. Very happy. :lol: Looked at heaps of other bars but the Dobinson/MCC is one of the best for the current D Max. I am an ARB man from way back, but the D max bar post 2012 design must have been a rush job as its no way as neat and good looking as most of their other bars. :? It sits out too far and looks too big if you don’t have a colour coded bar.

Yet to fit the bar, just ordered the 11000 lb red Runva winch package deal. :) So next week should be bolt up time for winch and bar. I ordered two Dobinson bars, extra for my mate. Dobinson were hopeless, would not return request for quote via their web site and when I called them said they would call back with a price but never did. Ended up getting the bars via TJM of all places for $1400 each. Really well wrapped and I was surprised with the high quality of a bar that’s almost $1000 cheaper than similar from those with 3 letters in their name. Came with fog lights already fitted and wire looms switches etc for SX. I have LS-M so it’s all plug and play and I now have another spare light wiring loom kit. All of the nuts are nyloc which is great as springs washers are old hat. Pictures once it’s all bolted up.

Replace the 16 bolts that attach the winch cradle with high tensile bolts, the supplied are soft rubbish and will never tighten properly.

Google search trick- site:newd-max.net search term here
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1684
Build thread viewtopic.php?f=16&t=549

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:52 pm 

Danno wrote:
Dopomax wrote:
Cheese wrote:

Replace the 16 bolts that attach the winch cradle with high tensile bolts, the supplied are soft rubbish and will never tighten properly.
Thanks Danno. Yep going to replace all of those "black" :? bolts with quality product.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:47 am 

ok I'm about a week in with the bullbar and I'm in agreement that it definitely needs suspension upgrade. For the front I'm thinking bilstein shocks and raised tapered king springs to suit bullbar (KHFR-168HT). Rear I'll just replace the shocks with bilsteins. Aiming to level it out and fix the wallowing front end. What are your thoughts on going the front tapered comfort springs rather then the HD? Also is $800 for front shocks, springs and bushes reasonable for Aussie prices?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:23 am 

Cheese wrote:
ok I'm about a week in with the bullbar and I'm in agreement that it definitely needs suspension upgrade. For the front I'm thinking bilstein shocks and raised tapered king springs to suit bullbar (KHFR-168HT). Rear I'll just replace the shocks with bilsteins. Aiming to level it out and fix the wallowing front end. What are your thoughts on going the front tapered comfort springs rather then the HD? Also is $800 for front shocks, springs and bushes reasonable for Aussie prices?

Have a look at my post in Dopomax build post bull bar fit and suspension upgraded on the front. I went for HD Lovells. When I had the wheel alignment they pumped up the tyres to 280 KPI (about 40PSI) and now it’s a hit harsh over deep pot holes. :( Easy to let the tyres back down a bit but the tyre place (Bridgestone) suggested the Bridgestones should be kept at over 270 KPI. But the place card on the D Max suggest 200 KPI for the front.

So will also be interested to know if the tapered king springs provide a softer ride but still give you a lift on the front. $800 seems to be norm for most quality brand front struts and springs assemblied and ready to fit.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:34 am 

Thanks Dopomax, I have been reading your thread. Must of missed the bit regarding harshness over potholes though. I'll give these tapered coils a go and see how they go. I don't mind if I don't get the full 50mm travel.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:15 am 

I personally went the ARB kit this time as they have 3 different front springs dpending on your need
Raised height no or aluminium bar
Raised Height Steel Bar
Raised height steel bar with winch

They then have a shock to match each of these

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:43 am 

Cheese wrote:

Here's the thing with King Springs and Lovells, using the D Max as an example both of these companies produce a spring that is pretty much the same length whether you want standard height or raised, they achieve the lift by increasing the poundage of the spring with thicker or more coils, this will give you the lift but at the cost of ride harshness.
Some spring manufacturers like Dobinson on the other hand maintain the same spring poundage (650 I think for Dobinson) and achieve the lift by increasing the length of the spring maintaining a smooth ride no matter what height, the D Max takes a Hilux spring and they are available in different lengths of 10 mm increments to get the height you want, I ended up with two different springs to level mine out.
This is the only reason I went with Dobinson rather than King which would normally be my first choice.

No matter what spring you choose to go with make sure that whoever you purchase them off if you're doing it yourself that they will exchange springs until you have what lift you require, if you're getting them fitted do not take the car unless it is at least 10 to 15 mm above the lift that you require, it will sag at least this much in a short time, don't let them tell you otherwise or if they insist get an assurance that they will replace the springs when they sag below the lift you want if any, my fronts are currently sitting at 580 mm which is 60 mm over standard which is obviously too much but they will settle 10 mm shortly and then when the car is fully loaded with all our gear and 150 L of fuel will hopefully sit right on 560 mm maintaining the 40 mm lift I wanted and paid for, I've had to change them twice so far and now have to change 1 to get it perfect, luckily I have a very good suspension bloke on side.

Progressive rate springs are not really required on the front of a 4wd, because you will find that with all the weight over the front of the D Max that far forward you will be using up most of the progressive soft part of the spring straight away anyway, been there done that.

Google search trick- site:newd-max.net search term here
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1684
Build thread viewtopic.php?f=16&t=549

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:45 pm 

Chester ver 2.0 wrote:
I personally went the ARB kit this time as they have 3 different front springs dpending on your need
Raised height no or aluminium bar
Raised Height Steel Bar
Raised height steel bar with winch

They then have a shock to match each of these

Yep, same here. Went with the ARB mob. Quite happy with the setup after having it on for 12 months now. I also have a winch. Car is very comfortable either loaded or unloaded.

2012 LS-T, Mineral Grey. ARB Canopy, Traderack, Bullbar, Airtech Snorkel, XDC winch, Xray Vision driving lights, TX3345 GME radio, Dual Battery via Redarc VSR, OME 300kg Constant load suspension, factory towbar, Dueler 697 LT tyres, now 70,000km

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next