NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM

NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM
It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:03 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

We have NEW server almost ready, try it out here

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:43 am 

Hi all, I'm new to the forum but have read the comments on suspension with keen eyes! I have a 14 mod LS-U d-cab, auto with Dobinson b-bar and am looking for a modest lift 40mm for the truck. I must say the bar has been on for over 6mths and 10,000km and front suspension has not dropped by that much.
I have narrowed lift to Lovell's all round or Kings/ bilstiens. (Am open to suggestions)
My question would be that Lovell's is the only manufacturer I have see that have a different set of rear springs for the auto??? Would this be to get the right angle on the tail shaft and if so why do I not see it with other brands?

Prior to my dmax I had a Mazda bt50, let me say after a auto gearbox and full set of drive shafts (yes shafts not just uni's) all before 60,000km the dmax is the best thing since canned Beer! :P

Cheers Steve.M

Steve

2014 LSU D-Cab auto, Dobinson Bull bar, Outback Armour 50mm lift, Mickey Thompson Deegan 38 tyres, Factory snorkel, Factory tow bar, more to come!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:33 pm 

What model BT50 mate? the current shape or previous?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:48 pm 

Steve.M wrote:
Hi all, I'm new to the forum but have read the comments on suspension with keen eyes! I have a 14 mod LS-U d-cab, auto with Dobinson b-bar and am looking for a modest lift 40mm for the truck. I must say the bar has been on for over 6mths and 10,000km and front suspension has not dropped by that much.
I have narrowed lift to Lovell's all round or Kings/ bilstiens. (Am open to suggestions)
My question would be that Lovell's is the only manufacturer I have see that have a different set of rear springs for the auto??? Would this be to get the right angle on the tail shaft and if so why do I not see it with other brands?

Prior to my dmax I had a Mazda bt50, let me say after a auto gearbox and full set of drive shafts (yes shafts not just uni's) all before 60,000km the dmax is the best thing since canned Beer! :P

Cheers Steve.M

Mate, read my post on the previous page on Lovells and Kings, you will get the lift you want after a few go's but at the cost of a smooth ride, especially with Bilstiens which are valved slightly on the harder side.

Google search trick- site:newd-max.net search term here
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1684
Build thread viewtopic.php?f=16&t=549

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:52 pm 

Turkey wrote:
What model BT50 mate? the current shape or previous?

It was a 2010 previous model. Great engine but crap auto even the new replacement box that came complete with T/converter and was just bolt in changed gears hard.
That was nothing compared to the vibrations though :evil: and it separated 2 sets out uni joints (No Lift-standard height) before Mazda put a full set of new shafts in it. By that time it was spot on but I had lost all confidence in it so it had to go. At least new owner would have got a good truck :lol: I can laugh now!

Steve

2014 LSU D-Cab auto, Dobinson Bull bar, Outback Armour 50mm lift, Mickey Thompson Deegan 38 tyres, Factory snorkel, Factory tow bar, more to come!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:01 pm 

Danno wrote:
Steve.M wrote:

Cheers Steve.M

Mate, read my post on the previous page on Lovells and Kings, you will get the lift you want after a few go's but at the cost of a smooth ride, especially with Bilstiens which are valved slightly on the harder side.

Thanks Dan, I just had a look at your post and it's info like yours that most of us never find out without trial and error! Just so happens I like Dobinson gear so I'll check it out.

Steve

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:26 pm 

I've got dobinsons. I reckon it will be in only 25mm lift once the winch finally gets added

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:52 pm 

sucksqueezebangblow wrote:
I've got dobinsons. I reckon it will be in only 25mm lift once the winch finally gets added

I'm going to get you the part numbers of the Dobinson springs you will need. Front springs are the cheapest part of the suspension anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:46 am 

Hey Dan, would be interested to know if it is the same part number as the coils I used. Post it up for all of us please.

Tink

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:20 am 

Hi guys, interesting topic with a few different options-opinions going around. I can only chime in with my own experience here. I have Ironman commercial steel winch bullbar and with it's protection plates front and sides, it is a heavy bugger + driving lamps too, but no winch in there yet. So for new springs (front strut shocks included) I am using Outback Armour. Their front spring arrangement uses spacers to add additional height to the spring depending on accessories. I gained an overall lift of 50mm from were I was (505mm), up to to 555mm CWG measures. This equates to a modest 35mm lift above the standard height, said to be, 520mm CWG. I have had no settling "sag" yet after 2500km since fitted.
FYI - I have Bilstein rear shocks in and find them far from harsh/harder, pretty composed and comfy actually, but only relating to previous oem shockers.
This combo seems to work ok for me. Hope you can find something that works for you, as there are many options around.

2013 LSU crew,auto,4x4,white,towb,tint,tubliner+Outback Armour lift,Ironman Bullbar,Alpha Canopy,PhatBars,Snorkel,Superwinch hubs,WhispbarHD racks,Provent 200, ecuwest tune,UHF,7"HIDs, Wheels 17x8 PDW w/Toyo OPAT2 275-65r17

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:53 am 

Tink wrote:
Hey Dan, would be interested to know if it is the same part number as the coils I used. Post it up for all of us please.

Tink

I will, you gave me your part # a while back, I think yours were the ones below mine that I started with (which were the heaviest Dobinson listed for the Dmax btw and wholly inadequate) and mine is sitting at 580 now with a winch so you won't want them, you will have to upgrade if you fit one though, they're about 25kg all up and they're a long way out the front.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next