NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM

NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM
It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:07 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

We have NEW server almost ready, try it out here

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:25 am 

Hey app master, just one comment on using spacers with progessive rate coils. Not sure if this is what you have installed. But with progressive rate coils, fitting a spacer only loads the coil up a bit, and in turn you lose some of the progressiveness, or with larger spacers, all of the progressiveness. Better to fit the right coil than use spacers IMHO.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:35 am 

Tink wrote:
Hey app master, just one comment on using spacers with progessive rate coils. Not sure if this is what you have installed. But with progressive rate coils, fitting a spacer only loads the coil up a bit, and in turn you lose some of the progressiveness, or with larger spacers, all of the progressiveness. Better to fit the right coil than use spacers IMHO.

Used to level the car only, and by small increments usually.

Google search trick- site:newd-max.net search term here
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1684
Build thread viewtopic.php?f=16&t=549

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:06 pm 

Danno wrote:
Tink wrote:

Used to level the car only, and by small increments usually.

Combo uses a linear coil spring with optional spring seat spacer. Which I have used. For more height, such as those seeking 40+mm or more, you may have to look elsewhere, but this seems to work well for me atm, holding up and maintaining the ride height acheived. Links and details to it here.
Spring - http://www.outbackarmour.com.au/lp.php?pn=OASU1019001
Strut - http://www.outbackarmour.com.au/lp.php?pn=OASU0860007
Fitting guide - http://portal.outbackarmour.com.au/dl.php?fn=fittingcoloradostrut.pdf.pdf&fh=1378439008773479eb8ea496bdf61ba233f38dadb5

2013 LSU crew,auto,4x4,white,towb,tint,tubliner+Outback Armour lift,Ironman Bullbar,Alpha Canopy,PhatBars,Snorkel,Superwinch hubs,WhispbarHD racks,Provent 200, ecuwest tune,UHF,7"HIDs, Wheels 17x8 PDW w/Toyo OPAT2 275-65r17

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:59 am 

Great info guys
:D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:44 pm 

Does the use of spacers really "load up a coil"?

I would have thought all it does is reposition the coil further away from the fixed member/chassis mounting, thereby creating a lift, but no difference to suspension action apart from using up some of the droop value of lower arm.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:35 pm 

My thoughts are you will be reducing the overall length of the coil by using spacers and as such would be putting a small but constant amount of compression on the spring. Therefore you must be putting some load on the coil by using spacers. Any load would reduce the first stage of a progressive coil. Yes or no?

Tink

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:09 am 

Tink wrote:
My thoughts are you will be reducing the overall length of the coil by using spacers and as such would be putting a small but constant amount of compression on the spring. Therefore you must be putting some load on the coil by using spacers. Any load would reduce the first stage of a progressive coil. Yes or no?

Tink

No. Unless you have maxed out the downward travel (not advised), it will operate as per the post above, simply moving the whole coil down a bit.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:24 am 

OK, I think there may be some confusion, probably on my behalf :D

Tink wrote:

Tink

My above arguement was based upon using spacers within the strut, i.e. between the coil and the top or bottom plates. I think what others are referring to is using spacers outside of the strut assembly, i.e. between the strut and the chassis. If using spacers outside the strut assembly, then there would be no compression on the coil and it wouldn't effect its performance.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:03 pm 

Spacers in or outside a strut is carrying the same weight of vehicle per corner as each other. What is the difference?
One the strut is spaced down with shock in normal position, other has the coil more pre stressed ie, harder riding but can't accept as much movement of stroke other wise the spring will become solid under full compression. That will make for interesting forces being applied to the strut tower and possible technical repairs.
The whole idea of a suspension is absorbtion and compliance, yet some folk want to reduce it. Strange phenomenon that.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:19 pm 

Ah, I see what you are saying Tink... Yes, I was referring to the spacer between the top of the coil and the strut tower (like what I have in Booger Mobile)... I guess in one of those strut/coil combo situations, inserting a spacer in there would put the coil under load, as the strut would be maxed out when fully extended... Makes sense!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next