NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM

NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM
It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:22 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

We have NEW server almost ready, try it out here

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:00 pm 

Hi all!

When i was out offroad driving some weeks ago, it came that i had to drive through some deeper water, which was fine and problem-free .... i've thought. :roll:

One day after that, i recognized a strange smell inside. Lifting the carpets, i saw the whole mess: partially flooded with muddy water, which came obviously through the rear air vents between cabin and bed. I could follow the path of the brown water.

Now to my question: Has anyone had this problem before and maybe an idea, how to avoid such a mess in the future? I know, that "not driving through such deep water" would be a solution, but that does not come to the point. ;) I thought, some kind of snorkel would be useful. Or quick and drity just close them in half with gaffer tape?

ATFS SpaceCab Custom A/T, Cosmic Black, 200 HP - 530 Nm ...

Get the whole story.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:11 pm 

Cant say I have had water come through mine. I have done deep crossing some deeper than ideal but never any water inside. To be honest never really thouht about the rear vents. I'll have a look at mine tomorrow.
Not a fun job pulling the carpet out to dry, may as well dynamat it while its out.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:59 am 

Does keeping the windows UP and having the fan on full speed to make positive pressure inside the cabin, assist keeping water out of cabin during deeper water crossings?
In theory it should.

That way the sill drains and the rear flow throughs are exiting pressured air instead of allowing seep in.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:50 pm 

I think we would need another motor & one of the fans from bunnings to stop water coming in.
So what about when you have to stop in a crossing its just flows in like a waterfall ?
Maybe there is a flap or something to stop ingress.
I dont know but hopefully I dont have to find out.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:25 pm 

Duck
I was only meaning the fan would assist/help stopping water getting in. A bit like having a vacuum cleaner on the oil filler hole, stronger I know, but removing sump plug means you can change seal on sump plug and not lose any oil from the sump when the plug is out.
The exit air vents from the cabin all have a rubber one way flap as far as I have seen. Perhaps if old they may have perished but on a Dmax/Mux they should be in good condition and seal if water tries to enter.

Bottom of doors have a one way valve to drain door internals but stop reverse flow of water into doors and then through the lining into the cabin. If door perimeter seals are good there should be hardly any flow into the cab, unless parked there for a while.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:43 pm 

Yes I thought there must be something stopping it. Mine look grungy but must still be working. Never tried the vacum thing although I use a mechanic for all servicing.
My door seals have all torn at the bottom, but new door seals are almost as much as a new dmax.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:33 pm 

If you pull the covers off and stick your hand up into that vent behind the back seats I'm pretty sure you'll find a big wad of sponge both sides from memory sort of up the c pillar a bit so if you've managed to get water up there then you've most probably got a stinky wet sponge testing out the rust proofing in that area no doubt..

Google search trick- site:newd-max.net search term here
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1684
Build thread viewtopic.php?f=16&t=549

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:03 pm 

Gave those grungy vents a scrub like they have mould on them.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:20 am 

Duck
Do you mean you scrubbed them because they have mould on them?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:07 pm 

Yes they had what looked like mould but all came off with some scrubbing.