NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM

NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM
It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:05 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

We have NEW server almost ready, try it out here

Post subject: EGR Valve Failure
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:11 pm 

Driving home from work last night (about 5 pm) and my D-Max went in to limp mode and engine light came on. Called Isuzu Roadside assist, RACQ arrived about 1 hour later. P0401 fault code which according to info on this forum is "Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Insufficient Detected". Cleared codes, came back on start up. Tow truck ordered, arrived around 7:30 pm. With Isuzu Roadside Assist they would only take it to an Isuzu Dealer and only when the dealer could sign for it, so the D-Max spent the night at a holding yard and was dropped off at Westpoint Isuzu in Brisbane this morning. They had no details about the vehicle (they were glad I called to claim it as mine) - anyway around midday they called me to confirm that the EGR valve had failed and would be replaced under warranty. Should have it back tomorrow.

While I am disappointed that my D-Max broke down, the Isuzu Roadside Assist and service from the dealership has been good so far. Let's see for sure tomorrow.

Coincidentally, I had the 50k service yesterday morning at a non-dealership mechanic. The last ~7k on the truck involved a trip out across the Simpson, to Uluru, Kings Canyon, Finke River Gorge, Plenty Highway back to Brisbane. Have done about 200km since returning to Brisbane - relieved that it failed in town and not half way between Birdsville and Mt Dare.

Anyone else had a similar EGR failure on a current model D-Max? I haven't found any other reports on the www.

Post subject: Re: EGR Valve Failure
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:45 pm 

You should find out if the EGR ACTUATOR failed or was it just the EGR valve clogged with gunk and the actuator unable to move it.

The first is and electro mechanical failure problem, ie EGR actuator stuffed,
The second is a mechanical/fouling problem.

I suspect most of what is told to owners in many cases is, "the EGR failed" but in fact it is simply dirty.
I have no idea how deeply the dealers look into the issue. They may simply whack another EGR valve unit on and away you go.

Knowing the difference may mean if it happened in an outback place you could remove it and clean the sod and then drive on after erasing the code with your OBD reader device. Best to have one of those.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:11 am 

Hi, I had an EGR failure as well on 2015 model with low kilometres. It had to be towed to the dealer to fix. It was replaced under warranty and I was advised that it was not due to it clogging up.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:22 pm 

Picking the D-Max up tomorrow - it was ready this afternoon but I couldn't get there. The service manager said the actuator had failed, and the build up wasn't bad at all. He said that down the track I could get the intake system flushed for $179.....

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:33 pm 

Picked the D-Max up this morning, all good. Spoke to the mechanic who replaced the EGR actuator and he said there was build up though it was not too bad for 50,000 km. I think he implied that the carbon build up does make the actuator work harder, but it still shouldn't fail, hence the replacement under warranty. Unfortunately he didn't take a picture.

It sounds like the flushing system they suggested is something like the one in this video or this product. Anyone had their intake cleaned with one of these systems? If this is a common problem on modern diesels, I wonder maintaining the intake is not part of regular servicing?