NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM

NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM
It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:44 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

We have NEW server almost ready, try it out here

Post subject: Re: Valve adjustment
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:32 pm 

mydmax wrote:
I would have thought that is a bit excessive. Depends on if they changed the injector seals in the cam cover as well. Mine has an intercooler above and it has to be removed to get to much the same point as the later models.
Was it dealer job or private concern.

It is Isuzu's policy to not change the cam cover injector seals unless they leak afterwards....and if they do you have to pay 90 odd?? (memory :roll: )dollars for the bloody things...mine leaked after the 40k service but at 90 bucks that plastic engine cover fixed it nicely ;)

Google search trick- site:newd-max.net search term here
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1684
Build thread viewtopic.php?f=16&t=549

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:51 pm 

Dopomax wrote:
Hughie, the dealer is full of it. :o

I had the same problem with my Pajero, the dealer service manager said the V6 uses shims and it would take 2 days to do the job. :?

All BS as with what you have been told. The D Max 4JJ1 engine is a conventional screw type adjustment on inlet and exhaust. I have the factory manual for the engine and below is a summary of how to do it. To adjust the valves on the current D Max engine should take about 40 minutes. It’s quicker that the previous model, pre 2012, as you don’t have to remove a intercooler which on previous models was on top of the engine.

Valve Adjustment for 4JJ1 Engine - Current Model D Max

Notes:

This is a bush mechanic’s guide. If you are not sure, get a qualified mechanic to do it for you.

Adjustments are on a cold engine.
Loosen each adjusting screw of the rocker arm completely.
Take your time and do a good job.

Special tool is available, Isuzu Valve clearance adjust nut wrench: 5-8840-2822-0.
But you can work without it. It’s Basically a long socket.

The process,

Remove the plastic engine cover, lifts straight up.
Remove the fuel injector harness assembly.
Remove the leak off hose.
Remove the cylinder head cover. Remove slowly and try to save the gasket.

Manualy rotate the crankshaft to make the No.1 Cylinder meet the compression top dead centre. You line up the crank pully with the notch and line up point on the engine housing.

Adjustment table, so when to adjust each valve.

With Number 1 at TDC adjust;

Number 1 inlet and exhaust
Number 2 inlet only
Number 3 exhaust only

Then move Number 4 to TDC adjust;

Number 2 exhaust only
Number 3 inlet only
Number 4 inlet and exhaust

Insert a 0.15 mm (0.006 in) thickness gauge between the roller of the rocker arm and the camshaft to tighten up the adjusting screw of the rocker arm. When the movement of the
Thickness gauge becomes tight, fasten the adjusting screw nut of the rocker arm.

Tightening torque for the rocker arm adjustment screw nut is 18 N-m (1.8 kg-m/ 13 lb ft), or firm and tight.

Once all done with the adjustments, check you have adjusted all the valves and all adjustment screws are tight. Then put it all back the way you found it.

Now have a beer. ;)

Excellent mini tutorial there.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:06 pm 

garrytre wrote:
I've just had valve clearances done, nothing else, except obviously remove covers etc for access. I left my car overnight to cool down, picked it up next afternoon. Charged for 4.5 hours labour. Is that reasonable?

Just had my 40K done at a place i trust here on the GC, 3.5hrs and thats to do all the 40K service. Total cost $640 (i supplied oil filter sump crush washer and engine oil, rest they supplied.) I like that they are happy to supply whatever parts i want, great to buy oil/filters when on special.
And to not have a young apprentice doing it is great, I know what 1st and 2nd year kids are like when they work with us, most are bloody useless and lazy, always looking for shortcuts.

Clearances were ok but there were a couple which were out a bit.

i think you got a bad deal.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 8:11 am 

jackjames wrote:
i think you got a bad deal.

Me too. And several minor stuffups that I've had to point out and get fixed, so looking for a new mechanic.