NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM

NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:53 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

We have NEW server almost ready, try it out here

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
 Post subject: Re: The Good Oils - CJ-4
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:11 pm 

sucksqueezebangblow wrote:
The handbook says to change every 5k if you are doing short trips.

Spot on! If only others realised this and didn't think it was a blanket 20k oil change interval. Your vehicles usage does dictate oil change frequency, and it does state this in the manual!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:47 pm 

My 2011 has now done over 13,000km on the Mobil 1 5w40 ESP. I will be running it at least until 15,000km since it is staying cleaner than the Normal Delvac 15w40 ESP or plain no ESP oil ever has.
Having an automotive background I am very aware of oil performance.

For me, This Mobil 1 diesel oil is cleaner at the 13,000km distance than the above oils were at 6000km.
The 13,000km does include 9,200km being fully loaded and towing a loaded Tvan.

The ring/piston/cylinder wall sealing has got to be far better as it is the only thing which can be holding back black soot from entering the sump and being retained in the oil.

I know the Mobil 1 Delvac ESP is expensive but as previously mentioned, with having cleaner oil for longer I can run the filter to 20,000km instead of 10,000km ( know Isuzu say 20,000km anyway) and also change the oil less often.

Total down time, effort in me changing it, and cost of oil balances out as less expensive or no more, and the engine oil is cleaner inside the engine as it operates.
I see that as good for me and good for the engine. So for the stated reasons I will not be going back to Normal Mobil Delvac 15w40 unless I have to because of availability.

With oil monitoring truck runs this stuff to 45,000km before a change. WHY, It costs them less for the same reasons I have stated.
Trucking companies don't risk expensive B double donks as far as I know. Haven't found any yet who want to increase risk and cost.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:05 pm 

I'm no expert but the oil retaining the soot is ok if it has a high TBN?

The original non-esp Delvac 1 5w40 has a TBN of around 12.

I guess being a skeptical person im wondering if newer oils are designed to be kinder to cats and dpfs then what compromises are made?

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 10:07 am 

Hi mydmax, Just wondering that now you have been using Delvac 1 5w40 for close on 2 years, how you feel it is performing as far as engine cleanliness is concerned, engine noise at start up, intake manifold/intercooler build up, and what service intervals you are now running. Don't know if you are running a Catch Can or not but if so has there been and readable difference in waste. Thanks in advance. Cheers Ian.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 10:29 am 

Ian
I noticed quieter running, maybe just imagining but the engine runs quieter as far as i am able to tell.
I change the M1 Diesel at 16,000km. largely because it is still not as dirty at the 16,000km mark than Normal Delvac is at 10,000km. Mine is a 2011 and so has it's filter thread uppermost and remains full when stopped. Oil light goes off instantly when started and there is never any noise of bearing rumble or cam chain as some say they hear.
Engine is clean inside becasue the oil is cleaner, alwayd clean with Delvac anyway, and that can only be because there is less blowby than before, ie better ring sealing is occurring.
I do have a catch can, one I made myself and it catches some oil but not alot. It is hard to judge because if there is less blowby then there is less trying to flow through a C Can and into the engine.

At last service about 12 months ago the oil caught in the can was around 120ml and was as dark, similar to the oil in sump was at 16,000km. Running this oil means I fit less filters too but the oil is dearer by quite a margin.

The idea of oil buildup in an intercooler intrigues me as there is a cyclone of air going through it nearly all the time and with all turbo charged vehicles in the world, any precipitated oil simply gets blown through and into the engine as they all do. I drove coaches for a while and they do not have any issues with the oil in their intercoolers.
Not sure who created that idea as being a problem. That is not to say in some corners of an intercooler you won't find a sceric of oil, you have to, it is just not an issue, UNLESS using such crappy oil and being unserviced so it is a slime and not oil at all.

Any Synthetic oil as mist entering the intake manifold and being cooked by the hot EGR gasses allowed to enter, means it doesn't burn as easily, as normal oil, and I think deposits less. I use a 13mm DIa hole plate in the EGR so it reduces the total flow and so should be less hot in the intake manifold despite the EGR possibly being fully open at times.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 11:16 am 

Thanks very much for your prompt and informative reply, it was just what I wanted. Mine also is a 2011 Colorado with just on 110,000km and was thinking of changing from normal Delvac to Delvac 1 and you have confirmed my choice, once again thanks. Cheers Ian

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:55 am 

mydmax, , iam considering changing over to Mobil 1ESP not sure of brand or type of oil used on last service[70K] . would there be any compatibility issues with switching type? cheers Bob

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:10 am 

G'day Bob,

As long as you can drain the engine oil hot and for a while, nearly all will be out of the engine. Some small amount remaining won't cause any problems.
Only at the first fill of M1 will any mixing occur. You can mix M1 Full synthetic with normal delvac, it is what I use on my manual gearbox, M1 being a bit thin initially, causes a bit of gear chatter when idling/going slow, so Delvac 15w40 used and diluted a little with M1.

The M1 I run until 16,000km at least but keep an eye on lubricity. Still cleaner at 16,000km than normal Delvac is at 10,000km, same engine. Sealing of rings must be better as that is th eonly concept which can change to keep the oil cleaner. M1 Diesel isn't cheap though, I buy it in 20 litre drum to make it a bit cheaper.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:27 am 

yes very xxx$y $90 for 5liters cheers and thanks for the reply. Bob

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:29 am 

If buying Mobil 1 diesel oil it is cheaper directly from a Mobil/Caltex fuel dealer. I have never bought any from a retail store, ie, Repco or Supercheap type store. Around $100 cheaper for 20 litres.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14