NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM

NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM
It is currently Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:26 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

We have NEW server almost ready, try it out here

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:32 am 

Hello,

I have read all the other oil threads and have not found an answer, so I don't think that this is a duplicate question - but apologies if it is.

I have 2018 D-Max 4x4 (4JJ1-TC) fitted with a DPF.
The vehicle has a 15,000 KM service interval, however the junk put in by the dealer at last service doesn't inspire much confidence (seeing quite a bit more oil in the catch can than from previous services after 5000kms) so I'm looking to replace the oil.

I see that Caltex Delo 400 seems to be highly recommended on posts in this forum, and checking their lube guide reveals that for the DPF equipped D-Max I should be using the Delo 400 MGX variety (https://www.caltex.com.au/delo/400-mgx).
I see Castrol RX super has similar grades and is easily obtainable: https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/cas ... 65024.html

Does anybody with a DPF fitted vehicle have any recommendations?

For reference attached is the lube chart from the owners manual

Attachments:
File comment: lube chart
IMG20200328110800.jpg
IMG20200328110800.jpg [ 466.29 KiB | Viewed 3140 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:06 am 

I use Mobil Delvac MX ESP 15w-40

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:19 am 

Hi Tink,

Where do you normally source it from?
So far automotive superstore seems to be the only stockist, but they don't list the API grade so i'm waiting on a reply from them.

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:05 am 

I have used Mobil Delvac MX ESP in engines for a long period of time, It keeps the internals as clean or cleaner than most will do because of it's well known Detergent ability. Probably the dealer grade oil will not do that as well, as sealing the rings is what lessens blowby. Heavy towing or max/high boost levels also increases the blowby.
Generally I buy oils direct from the depot as most autostores, (which aren't oil experts at all simply sell the stuff whatever it's quality) don't stock Mobil. If you can access depot sales is possibly better and contacting the Mobil Lube line if requiring oil info and application data.
I now use Mobil 1 Full Synthetic and it will easily reach 15,000km before a change. Expensive though. The degradation of dealer oil has to be poor and nowhere near as good as Mobil Delvac MX ESP.
When I began my motor mechanic apprenticeship years ago, I was immediately told the whole fleet, petrol and diesel all ran on Mobil Delvac oil. Any engine worn out from use, was usually quite clean on internals when opened for rebuilds with only a film of discolouration and no sludging. Not many oils can achieve that.
Mobil oils sell themselves, the others are found in autostores.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:59 pm 

McChicken wrote:
Hi Tink,

Where do you normally source it from?
So far automotive superstore seems to be the only stockist, but they don't list the API grade so i'm waiting on a reply from them.

Thanks

I phoned the Mobil state office who told me who sold it in my home town. I buy from a truck parts store. $120 for 20 litres when I last bought a couple of months ago.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:55 am 

Thanks Everybody for your suggestions.

I have ordered the Mobil Delvac MX ESP (15w-40) as suggested, Given the current isolation situation I managed to find a distributor that would ship it to me.
Ended up purchasing a 4x5L pack from East Coast Lubes: http://www.eclubes.com.au/shop/browse/9 ... ngine-oils

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:59 am 

I think you have probably changed it by now, so perhaps my post is too late.
I am not absolutely certain of the spec of the 4JJ1TC in Aus. However as I understand the situation it is basically as here
https://www.isuzuute.com.au/-/media/d-m ... _sheet.pdf

and in my humble opinion, albeit Isuzu list 15w-40, I would stay with the 5W-30, that I am reasonably certain, you will find was the oil in your DMax to start with.
In fact, if you life the bonnet, is there not on the inside front edge a label, that says - The use of 5w-30 is essential for fuel economy etc.

My experience and I do not have the 4JJ1-TC, but the 4JK1-TC is that 15W-40 is too viscous for the chain driven twin overhead camshaft, especially when the engine is cold. If your Dmax is the same basic layout as mine with the oil filter mounted - canister up - screw down, then it is vital that the filter has the anti drain valve - if you use a third party OEM filter rather than the Isuzu branded - whichever those are in Aus.

The Mobil you talk of using is NOT, as far as I can see Mobils recommend for your engine. They recommend 5W-30 as here.
http://www.eclubes.com.au/other/ext_lin ... 9hdS8-__64
Commercial Vehicles - Light/Medium & 4WD
ISUZU (Includes ISUZU UTE)
D-MAX 4x4, 3.0 Litre 4JJ1-TC DOHC Turbo Diesel (2016-2020)
Crankcase
Service Refill Capacity: 7.5* Litres.

MOBIL 1 ESP 5W-30

The important point being, that at startup - with a cold engine, even in the temps of Aus, the 5W-30 offers greater protection to the vital parts of the chain and cams.
Its viscosity is of course far lower at startup then the 15w-40

I would recommend you speak to the local Isuzu dealer - to confirm.

Finally I know yours is the 2018 4JJ1-TC but you may find some parts of the manual useful, if you do not have the full dated correct manual
https://archive.org/details/pdfy-T_DkbYtAfSVLrHK6

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:02 am 

Interesting comments from macboatmaster.
Yes a 4JJ1TC will run on 5w30 but it is a bit thin for Australian hotter conditions isn't it? I cannot see how the cam chain or cams is adversely affected by using 15w40. If it was far more than half the Isuzu s in OZ would be having problems. Not happening! When used under towing and hotter conditions the 15w at cold isn't a factor but the w40 provides more viscosity when hot and greater bearing cushioning and integrity of lube film in vital areas. 15W40 is within the range of recommended viscosity and ambient temp usage.
Because the oil pump is a positive displacement device I don't think the oil speed to bearings will alter much.
All oil filters should have an anti drain valve, but if they seal they may do something. The Isuzu uses such a filter but they don't have a centre spigot pipe like earlier Toyotas used to have and the oil simply drains out of the filter housing through the bearings anyway. Actually sucked out by gravity. If the valve doesn't work, which is most of the time, the oil drains back through the pump to sump.
AS for asking an Isuzu dealer, well, my local dealer used Valvoline oil, he didn't mention the viscosity, I would never put that in an engine. Used it a couple of times in early times without success. The dealer will use the cheapest oil to do a job, not the best for your engine. They are not really interested in your long term reliability and life, they want to sell vehicles, not necessarily preserve them.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:57 am 

Cheers
I am not of course fully aware of the requirements in Aus. Last time I was there in Dunsborough, it was 43C for four days, but I think that is a little unusual even in WA. Usually it was about 34 or slightly less.

In the UK we have had quite serious problems with DMax of my generation
Unbelievably Isuzu fitted a modified dipstick with MIN MAX and X
the X being change immediately
The REGEN on the DPF injects excess fuel and what is not burnt goes to the sump.
Luckily I get my oil in 25ltrs, but am having to drop it every three months.
Good for economy, great for coming up the mud, sand and gravel.
However overall wish I had stuck with Ford - The Ranger 10 yrs when I sold it, never missed a beat.

The 4JK1TC just does not like the 15W-40 - but as you said and I mentioned Aus is different to the UK

As I said Mobil do not recommend the 15W-40 they list for that truck the 5W-30 as on my link - East Coast Lubes.

I did not mean the recommend of the actual OIL make - but rather the 5/10/15 etc.

Had the Isuzu just under three years and only found the actual shift on the fly oil 120ml approx. last year, always thought at first it was in the front diff. - however it is not, it is a separate reservoir - no drain, just the one plug, mine needed just 25ml approx.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:08 am 

macboatmaster.
I want you to think about this.
If extra fuel was injected then the engine would run faster and develop more power. That does NOT happen. The fuel for a regen burn is injected ON THE EXHAUST stroke as required and passes to the DPF to assist burning the particulates out of it. ONLY what is not expelled to the exhaust and turbo can remain in the cylinder.
The additional fuel injected DURING the exhaust stroke can wash and thin cylinder wall oil and sump oil, on any make of vehicle doing such a burn will experience sump oil thinning. They all do it. Previous Fraud Ranger did not. Using a thin lube oil will only make it worse. 1. because the oil is already thinner and 2. because the cylinder wall oil film and ring sealing will be less.
No fuel of a regen burn is needed to burn in the cylinder because it is exiting the cylinder at that time on exhaust stroke and the piston is approaching TDC and squeezes it out with the exhaust gasses. " what is not burnt goes to the sump" is not true because it is burnt in the DPF which is well after the engine and does not return to the engine.

The quality of the oil you use will have a bearing on those two factors.

IN what way exactly does your engine not like 15w40, you haven't said.

If looking under your vehicle the SOTF changer is easily seen as separate to the front diff, it is not in the same place. It's oil is 90w and 120ml from memory. If one of the screws is removed I believe it drains the chamber. I use a Teflon additive in there so it changes more easily.
The two sections joined by the SOTF changer ring are revolving is different directions UNTIL the Transfer case has made the 4wd link up and caused the front drive shaft to rotate and drive the diff crownwheel into forward motion instead of stationary, and ONLY then are the two SOTF sections rotating at the same speed and same direction.