NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM

NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM
It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:52 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

We have NEW server almost ready, try it out here

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 3:19 am 

Dear forum:

I'm trying to read the oil level of my used 2015 Dmax 2.5 4JK1 4x4 with 96.000kms, after I changed the oil and filter for myself for the first time.

The mechanic did the following steps:
1.- Drained the used oil, after draining it, he changed the oil filter.
2.- We put 6.2 liters of 5w30 oil (instead of 5.8 stated in the owner's manual book).
3.- I turned on the engine for 30 seconds, pushing the gas a bit to recirculate the oil before measuring the level.
4.- Turned-off the engine.
5.- Waited 3 minutes to read the oil level on the dipstick, but the oil on the dipstick is not even on "minimum" level. Even tough, there is oil around the stick, but not in the measuring part of the stick.

This way I'm not able to read the oil level from my ute. Please help!

- Pazzesco

Last edited by Pazzesco on Fri May 24, 2019 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 7:08 am 

Pazzesco
Mine is a 2011 model and according to the book it takes 7.5 Litres. My filter is a much bigger one than yours and so I usually end up adding 8 litres for a fill/filter change.
With your small filter it will be less but if the sump is the same you will require at least 7L and with filter a bit more. I would expect 7.5l but go easy in stages when adding to prevent overfilling.
Just keep topping it up a little at a time, keep track of the total used when it reaches the top of the stick and that is your required amount. No need to start the engine as the amount retained in the system is always the same and held each time. This stuff runs to the bottom quickly.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 2:29 pm 

Hi Pazzesco
You live in Chile ! Its not a 2.5 lt Motor by chance.?

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 2:44 pm 

Wait at least 30 minutes after stopping the engine before checking the oil level.

Tink

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 4:54 pm 

Tink
What is the reason to wait so long? Any dirty oil will be negligible if changing oil, but to check level as a daily/weekly check waiting a longtime may not prove anything tangible.
The galleries don't hold much at all and the filter if inverted will drain back and indicate a reading higher than the operating level. The oil is very thin when hot and a sump full is pumped through the engine many times a minute. Therefore the oil must be returning to sump at a very fast rate. Only cam feed oil gets to the top. Even fresh cold oil runs to the bottom quickly. The head drain ports ensure it does, otherwise oil would be held up in the cam cover and flood out the upper areas when running at higher speeds.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 6:32 am 

towtug wrote:
Hi Pazzesco

Yes mate, I live in Chile and I forgot to mention is the 2.5 twin turbo Dmax (engine 4jk1 TCX). The owners manual states 5.8 Liters of oil after changing the filter. I put 6.2 Liters, I'm afraid it's overfiled :roll:

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 6:48 am 

mydmax wrote:
Tink
What is the reason to wait so long? Any dirty oil will be negligible if changing oil, but to check level as a daily/weekly check waiting a longtime may not prove anything tangible.
The galleries don't hold much at all and the filter if inverted will drain back and indicate a reading higher than the operating level. The oil is very thin when hot and a sump full is pumped through the engine many times a minute. Therefore the oil must be returning to sump at a very fast rate. Only cam feed oil gets to the top. Even fresh cold oil runs to the bottom quickly. The head drain ports ensure it does, otherwise oil would be held up in the cam cover and flood out the upper areas when running at higher speeds.

The problem is, whenever I measure the dipstick level after 5 minutes or so, I'm not getting any oil on the dipstick :(. Now I'm waiting a bit longer to see what happens, and now I can see a lot of oil, maybe overfiled.

towtug wrote:
Hi Pazzesco
Yes mate, I live in Chile and I forgot to mention is the 2.5 twin turbo Dmax (engine 4jk1 TCX). The owners manual states 5.8 Liters of oil after changing the filter. I put 6.2 Liters, I'm afraid it's overfiled :roll:

Tink wrote:
Wait at least 30 minutes after stopping the engine before checking the oil level.

Tink

Thanks! I waited a bit longer now (15 minutes) and now I can see the oil level - and is overfiled (I suppose it is because I added 6.2 Liters instead of... 5.8?) Do I need to drain it out to avoid any interna damage, right?

I have no clue why I must wait so long after I turn-off the engine to check the oil, I was used to cool it down for 5 minutes and check the dipstick, and it worked for me in another diesel engines. Why is this?

Thanks!
Pazzesco

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 7:20 am 

Pazzesco
With an inverted filter,ie, the hole at the bottom you WILL get the filter volume draining into the sump if you wait and wait. However, that is not how the engine operates with the filter volume always in the sump.
SO, If you run the engine to warm, ie, the oil flows downward very quickly, turn it off and dip it twice, take no notice of the first dip level. However, the second dip just after the engine is stopped AND before the filter drains into the sump will give the running level the engine is operating on.

If the dip level when drained down and cold indicates a small amount of overfill, then as soon as it is started the level in the sump,ie, the dynamic level, will be as dipped when hot just after stopping. The filter volume is relatively small.
No engine runs a level the same as it is when cold and filter drained. If a stopped/cold level is observed, then the engine is actually running less sump level when running hot.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 3:14 pm 

Pazzesco wrote:
I have no clue why I must wait so long after I turn-off the engine to check the oil, I was used to cool it down for 5 minutes and check the dipstick, and it worked for me in another diesel engines. Why is this?

It is stated in the owner’s manual :o Maybe the Isuzu engineers know a thing or two more than some on here :D

Tink

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 4:54 pm 

I am absolutely sure NO dealer worship waits or considers waiting 30 mins or three days to check the oil level. Either way the engine will have enough oil to run on. What I mentioned simply ensures that it is full when running and therefore has the maximum safe level to also ensure some oil can be consumed during use and remain engine safe. Vehicle manufacturers state things in handbooks to satisfy requirements and not confuse uers with detail. My comments are based on decades of experience with heavy vehicles and petrol and diesel engines. I have rebuilt many, some of which ran too low on oil. Some people don't like others who attempt to help people who may be New to looking after their vehicle. Simply reading an owner's manual is a base to work from, not the total answer.