NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM

NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM
It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:52 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

We have NEW server almost ready, try it out here

Post subject: MAT713's D-MAX
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:49 am 

Hey Folks,

Towards the end of 2014 I spent quite some time humming & harring between D-MAX or MU-X weighing up all the pro's & con's of each. I even pinched an MU-X overnight from Brisbane Isuzu just to be sure! But after a camping trip over the New Year break in a Pajero I was settled on the DMAX. My lifestyle isn't quite ready for a wagon yet. Plus my OCD would have kittens loading up sandy / muddy items into the back off a wagon VS a ute!

Once the paperwork was signed & my order was placed I was given the dates when the car would be built, shipped, arrive & finally ready. I was told to sit back & patiently wait. Easy for some, but this time was well spent as I got to do my research on products without rushing out and suffering any impulse buying.

The plan for this car is to be a comfortable & capable all rounder, it's got to be something that I enjoy driving not only in the bush & on long hauls but also easy & comfortable enough around town.

Leading up to the delivery date I scored a little win getting the D-MAX a couple days early as my work commitments had changed & it was going to be cutting it fine before I had to leave QLD for VIC.

So on the 20th of February with torrential rain setting in on Brisbane for the weekend I got to pick up the new car from Brisbane Isuzu!

Post subject: Re: MAT713's D-MAX
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:50 am 

Here is the basic run down on what I got as it left the dealership.

Isuzu D-MAX LS-U Dual Cab
- 2015 Built
- Auto
- Titanium Silver
- Isuzu Snorkel
- Isuzu Carpet Floor Mats
- Isuzu Loopless Soft Tonneau Cover
- Isuzu Towbar Wiring Harness
- ARB Rear Step Tow Bar (supply only)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:55 am 

New car smell!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:33 am 

First thing to happen with the DMAX was to fit up the blocking plate & install the HPD oil / air separator 'catch can'

After popping the EGR off I was a little stunned with the amount of build up.

This was approx 200km's old.

I decided on the HPD oil / air separator for a couple of reasons.

My lack of spare time & fabrication skills meant I wasn't going to be able to knock up something to mount a provent 200 & most I've seen seem to be awkwardly mounted & hard to get at.

Dollars wise there isn't all that much different by the time you buy a provent plus all the clamps, hoses & adaptors let alone the time spent mounting it up.

The provent does have one minor advantage with the replacement paper filters but the extra capacity & quality of the HPD outweighed that in my mind.

I was disappointed to find a design flaw, I had to replace the supplied button head screws with socket cap's as their OD fouled on the catch can itself. When I rang up and questioned this with HPD the owner simply said "yeah that happens sometimes, we know about this. But we don't want you to leave a bad review"...

Disappointed with their extreme lack of customer service I popped down to the bolt shop, grabbed what I needed & went about fitting it up.

It as easy enough to do, done in about 20 minutes with no modifications or holes needed to be drilled.

The finished product is a neat & good looking thing so after all was said & done I was happy with it, but wouldn't buy direct from the manufacturer ever again.

Once you got it in, you may just have to 'tweak' one of the brake lines just a little to stop it rubbing on the bracket itself.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:05 am 

That EGR valve pictured is VERY CLEAN inside. Hardly any carbon deposit apart from a surface coating.
The statement of "I was a little stunned with the amount of build up", is either scare mongering or someone who isn't informed about engines and EGR valves.

It isn't dirty, but it will have some coating inside, So does the exhaust system too. Wipe your clean hanky (Mum said never leave home without one) inside the tailpipe and it will be tainted with carbon as well.

Having all things in perspective is important when commenting about NORMAL engine conditions.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:36 pm 

First real items that needed fitting up were the XROX Sliders & ARB Rear Step Tow Bar.

I'm trying to keep a silver & black colour theme with the car while trying to keep it looking as simple & neat as possible.

When I unboxed the sliders & rear bar I was hugely impressed with not only the level of (over)engineering but also the quality of workmanship from both brands. FYI the rear bar was approx 46kg's & each slider was 26kg's.

Trying to keep a black & silver only theme with the car, I sent the checker plate rear step off to the powder coaters so it would match the rest of the bar.

First part was to take off the factory side steps which was simple enough, the XROX instructions were absolutely spot on & made fitting up a breeze considering. It was just my old man & I with a jack to support the weight, the 1st one took about 2 hours and we breezed through the 2nd one in half the time. As expected the 4 x nuts with location wire welded on them were bastards to get right, but patience was the key.

Front drivers side mount

Middle drivers side mount & backing plate

Rear drivers side mount (I wasn't overly impressed with the U-Bolt setup but in hindsight there wasn't much room to go about it any other way)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:43 pm 

Not sure if this is just a 2015 built onwards thing or if its been around earlier but I noticed the one piece tailshaft.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:03 pm 

One thing I'm completely over the moon about is the BedRug bed liner I've chucked in! My D22 Navara had a plastic drop in liner and it completely ruined the tray with rust & dirt being constantly ground in. I would strongly recommend them to anyone if they were just thinking about one & can say they are certainly worth the money.

Installation is super easy & removal is so quick if you ever had too. They offer awesome results for both cargo & impact protection to the bed, they are stain resistant with bleach, oil & battery acid all washing out. I've used mine to carry fire wood & garden mulch it was so easy to either vacuum or gerni it clean.

Final product, stoked with how well it looks in the tub.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:47 pm 

With a couple of days up my sleeve waiting the for the checker plate step to be powder coated my old man & I got stuck into installing the ARB rear step tow bar. Although it certainly is a fantastic product, it still had a couple of flaws which we needed to fix up plus we were going to add a couple things which ended up costing us a fair amount of time.

One of the things I didn't like about the ARB RSTB was where they mounted the wiring loom which forced the trailer wiring to hang underneath the bar work for 99% of the time this wouldn't be a problem, but on any serious 4WD track with the camper I saw real potential for it to be pinched or torn off entirely. I also picked up a set of Rigid Industries SR-Q back up lights, so the plan was to flush mount the lights, trailer plug & also an anderson plug while we were at it up into the roll pan / beaver plate.

The lights speak for themselves, solid product & the quality of the supplied wiring kit was spot on. Whilst I wasn't mounting the light as high as I want I still think they perform exceptionally well. In the future once a canopy is on, I think I'll just add another similar set of lights to the top.

The depth of the light does mean we had to trim back the factory roll pan / beaver plate, you could have just gotten away with it be we decided to mount the anderson & trailer plug in-between the lights & number plate. This also meant our light spread was that little bit wider too.

Marking up.

After the jigsaw.

We treated all the cut steel on both the D-MAX & ARB roll pans to prevent rust.

Final result.

I Think I'm going to ditch the cast 'tow' loops.

I went a slim number plate on the rear flip down as this will give me enough room to mount a rear camera perfectly centre above it, should make trailer hook ups & parking a breeze.

Flips down for spare tyre access.

Flush mount 50A anderson plug, the cap keeps out dust when not in use but also locks the plug in & prevents it being accidentally yanked out.

Navra 7 pin trailer plug.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:55 pm 

Looks good mate! Looks like an interesting build ahead. Good luck wih the OCD and carpet lined tray :D

Mydmax, his shocked response was understandably to carbon on there at only 21kms