NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM

NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM
It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:38 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

We have NEW server almost ready, try it out here

Post subject: Skipz build
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:10 am 

So I thought I'd add a build thread. As mentioned in the intro's, I've been a lurker here for a while, and have found the info put forth to be more than helpful. Its provided inspiration to add to / update my 2012 LSM on various fronts, and I've added my own flavour along the way. So hopefully I can add to the community by generating some inspiration / ideas for others.

My main purpose for the DMax was two fold: 1) to move car parts (e.g. engines / transmissions) etc around as I restore my other money pit vehicle, and 2) to get of the city as far as possible and to remote places I haven't yet seen. The ability to get to 'out of the way' campsites was my main goal there. I've resisted a canopy as this keeps my camping gear limited (its way too easy to add more and more stuff, being a gear junky...). That also drives my thinking behind a lot of the additions.

So everything that I add to the tray needs to be removable, so I can flip between my two focusses. I get enjoyment out of making stuff and so I seem to lean to build it side of things where I can or have it built to my "vision". Sometimes that doesn't always work out as planned. :oops: Which just means I need to make more!

This isn't really a build up thread... as most of its already done. So here' s the list:
• MCC rear bar
• ARB bull bar
• Warn winch
• Bushranger driving lights
• OME suspension
• 2nd battery in tray
o Custom enclosed mount
o BCDC input from alternator or solar – automatic switching
o BCDC solar switch between main or 2nd battery
o Enerdrive battery monitor
o Battery can be disconnected & removed if tray space is needed
• Harrop eLocker
• Safari snorkel
• Custom aluminium drawers
o Mounts in tray, fits fridge and 90% of camping gear
o Fridge drawer is ventilated with a temperature switched fan to reduce heat load
o Removable for tray space
• Custom 37L water poly tank
o Between drawers and tray (at cabin side) matching tray contour
• Custom 2nd spare tyre holder above tray, near cabin
o Removable via interlocking tube clamps
o Includes rear window barrier
• Custom rock sliders
• Roof rack
o Rhino Pioneer tray, replaced by
o Custom tray matching roof line
• 40” light bar
o Mounted to custom roof rack
• ARB recovery points
• ARB underbody protection
• Two additional fuse blocks
o 1st in engine bay
o 2nd in tray, housed in electrical box enclosure
o Electrical enclosure houses: battery monitor, fuse block, relays for light bar & rear lights, switches (tray lights and solar charge to battery option), power outlets.
• Under lip tray lights
• HDP catch can
• Rear lights
o Mounted within MCC rear bar
o Disconnected, using wiring for a temporary rear camera setup
• Additional tray tie down rails

Some things are still in progress. I'm heading around Aus in 2 wks, so it all needs to be done by then!
Sorry, no photos right now. I'll post some up on the weekend if I get to it.

Cheers,
skipz

Post subject: Re: Skipz build
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:15 pm 

Keen to see the photo's - that 40" light bar must look like a collapsed sun.

Am planning on fitting a light bar soon, unfortunately the guys here charge like wounded buffalo's - so will probably shop on ebay. What brand is yours?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:48 pm 

skipz wrote:
So I thought I'd add a build thread. As mentioned in the intro's, I've been a lurker here for a while, and have found the info put forth to be more than helpful. Its provided inspiration to add to / update my 2012 LSM on various fronts, and I've added my own flavour along the way. So hopefully I can add to the community by generating some inspiration / ideas for others.

My main purpose for the DMax was two fold: 1) to move car parts (e.g. engines / transmissions) etc around as I restore my other money pit vehicle, and 2) to get of the city as far as possible and to remote places I haven't yet seen. The ability to get to 'out of the way' campsites was my main goal there. I've resisted a canopy as this keeps my camping gear limited (its way too easy to add more and more stuff, being a gear junky...). That also drives my thinking behind a lot of the additions.

So everything that I add to the tray needs to be removable, so I can flip between my two focusses. I get enjoyment out of making stuff and so I seem to lean to build it side of things where I can or have it built to my "vision". Sometimes that doesn't always work out as planned. :oops: Which just means I need to make more!

This isn't really a build up thread... as most of its already done. So here' s the list:
• MCC rear bar
• ARB bull bar
• Warn winch
• Bushranger driving lights
• OME suspension
• 2nd battery in tray
o Custom enclosed mount
o BCDC input from alternator or solar – automatic switching
o BCDC solar switch between main or 2nd battery
o Enerdrive battery monitor
o Battery can be disconnected & removed if tray space is needed
• Harrop eLocker
• Safari snorkel
• Custom aluminium drawers
o Mounts in tray, fits fridge and 90% of camping gear
o Fridge drawer is ventilated with a temperature switched fan to reduce heat load
• Custom 37L water poly tank
o Between drawers and tray (at cabin side) matching tray contour
• Custom 2nd spare tyre holder above tray, near cabin
o Removable via interlocking tube clamps
o Includes rear window barrier
• Custom rock sliders
• Roof rack
o Rhino Pioneer tray, replaced by
o Custom tray matching roof line
• 40” light bar
o Mounted to custom roof rack
• ARB recovery points
• ARB underbody protection
• Two additional fuse blocks
o 1st in engine bay
o 2nd in tray, housed in electrical box enclosure
o Electrical enclosure houses: battery monitor, fuse block, relays for light bar & rear lights, switches (tray lights and solar charge to battery option), power outlets.
• Under lip tray lights
• HDP catch can
• Rear lights
o Mounted within MCC rear bar
o Disconnected, using wiring for a temporary rear camera setup
• Additional tray tie down rails

Some things are still in progress. I'm heading around Aus in 2 wks, so it all needs to be done by then!
Sorry, no photos right now. I'll post some up on the weekend if I get to it.

Cheers,
skipz

sounds great skipz, would like to see the pics as i have a lot of gear you have :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:36 am 

Couple of pics. I'll try to get more detailed pics in the next few days.

Attachments:
20150706_071646 (800x600).jpg
20150706_071646 (800x600).jpg [ 184.14 KiB | Viewed 4409 times ]
20150706_071716 (800x600).jpg
20150706_071716 (800x600).jpg [ 324.21 KiB | Viewed 4409 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:05 pm 

More pics.
ARB recovery points (just in case anyone wants to see their mounting).

Battery box - steel frame bolts to the tub. Aluminium skin for a bit of protection. Houses the BCDC, 2 reset fuses and 5 relays (to enable switching between alternator, solar, front or rear battery types) - picture is a bit poor but hopefully you get the idea.

Junction box bolts to side of tub. Its purpose is to contain fuses, relays, give a home to switches, cig sockets, and the battery monitor all while providing a bit of protection - all accessible by lifting the tonneau between the sports bars. Initially I was hoping to have a steel or aluminium sealed unit ... but meh. Maybe one day.

Battery box and junction box are separable by anderson or weatherproof plugs (if it all needs to be pulled out.

Attachments:
battery_junction_box.jpg
battery_junction_box.jpg [ 264.25 KiB | Viewed 4318 times ]
File comment: battery box on passenger side.
battery box.jpg
battery box.jpg [ 295.45 KiB | Viewed 4318 times ]
20150708_142558.jpg
20150708_142558.jpg [ 277.15 KiB | Viewed 4318 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:07 pm 

More...

Attachments:
junction_box_inside.jpg
junction_box_inside.jpg [ 325.45 KiB | Viewed 4318 times ]
battery_box_inside.jpg
battery_box_inside.jpg [ 301.33 KiB | Viewed 4318 times ]
junction_box_top.jpg
junction_box_top.jpg [ 297.34 KiB | Viewed 4318 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:23 pm 

On to the water tank.

The tank is a 10mm wall thickness baffled poly unit - seriously sturdy and really happy with the quality. It fits behind the drawers (which I'll post in a bit) and the front of the tray. In profile it matches the tray, so its wider at the base than the top. Its a tad under 40L (37L i think).

The filler sits in a bracket mounted to the side of the tub. Tubing, of course, fills to the top of the tank. I'm not too happy with the fall of the tubing (and the picture makes it look worse than it is!). Originally the filler was going to be mounted on the top of a hard lid (but that hasn't happened yet... not sure it will now) so the fall would have been better.

Outlet tubing goes inside a steel tube for a bit of protection and snakes along the bottom corner of the tray toward the tailgate. I just shove it up under the lip to minimise dirt/dust when not in use.

Attachments:
water_tank.jpg
water_tank.jpg [ 297.48 KiB | Viewed 4311 times ]
water_tank_plumbing1.jpg
water_tank_plumbing1.jpg [ 345.69 KiB | Viewed 4311 times ]
water_tank_filler.jpg
water_tank_filler.jpg [ 300.09 KiB | Viewed 4311 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:35 pm 

To the drawers. There are two main aluminium drawers to contain camping gear, sized to fill the tray. The one shown mainly contains the fridge, but has space in front of the fridge for other gear (typically the less frequently used items). The fridge power comes from the junction box (anderson plug) and then routes in a wire track to ensure the cable slides with the drawer properly. There's also a small fan in the back there that's on a temperature switch (40C I think) with the intent of pulling in cooler air and forcing a bit more circulation within the drawer. Kinda works. Vents on top of the drawer also help expel heat from the fridge (which on a hot hot day can become problematic, especially if parked in the sun!). As I don't have a canopy, this is my way of securing the fridge, while allowing easy access to it and the contents at the far end of the drawer. Only trouble is its all to fit a certain size fridge (32L). So that's a bit limiting, but works well enough for me.

(Will post a pic of the fridge in the drawer a bit later).

Attachments:
fridge_drawer.jpg
fridge_drawer.jpg [ 361.22 KiB | Viewed 4310 times ]
fridge_drawer_elec.jpg
fridge_drawer_elec.jpg [ 211.82 KiB | Viewed 4310 times ]
fridge_drawer2.jpg
fridge_drawer2.jpg [ 314.44 KiB | Viewed 4310 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:47 pm 

Couple pics of the roof rack.
I do have a Rhino pioneer tray. But, for some reason, I wanted to make my own. My attempt here was to make something lighter, yet stronger than the pioneer tray which was a bit lower profile. Made out of 38x2 tube, at 1100 wide, it should hold 90kgs concentrated centre load per bar without any issues. i.e. plenty strong enough for what I load up top, but its the welds that have me worried. The rack matches the curve of the roof and mounts to tracks. The curvature of the bar ensures that any flat load placed on the rack will not hit the light bar (ignoring the fact that the load may deflect... and then hit the light bar - so I just need to watch what I'm doing). The light bar wiring is hidden inside the tubing from front to back, and then jumps into the sports bars, down to the junction box (and a relay activated from the cabin switches)

Again, the design kinda works. I'm not fully happy with it considering the effort it took. Already have plans on how to modify it to get the benefit of the low profile roof curvature, integrated light bar with tracks to allow standard roof rack accessories ;)

Attachments:
roof_rack_front.jpg
roof_rack_front.jpg [ 324.85 KiB | Viewed 4308 times ]
roof_rack_rear.jpg
roof_rack_rear.jpg [ 311.71 KiB | Viewed 4308 times ]
interior_switches.jpg
interior_switches.jpg [ 302.36 KiB | Viewed 4308 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:55 pm 

Fantastic!!! Great work!!

JC