NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM

NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM
It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:59 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

We have NEW server almost ready, try it out here

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:54 pm 

A quick release central divider made the space even more user friendly and a piece of plate added to the inside
of the drop side makes for a very handy bench/bar.

Packed up for a test run.

2015 SXauto trayback cage and canvas canopy, ARB deluxe bar, Safari snorkel, Ironman steps, Outback access roof console, 105AH AGM, Projector dual batt monitor, 60L under tray water tank, 55w HIDs, Uniden UHF

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:27 pm 

The canopy after a few trips.

2015 SXauto trayback cage and canvas canopy, ARB deluxe bar, Safari snorkel, Ironman steps, Outback access roof console, 105AH AGM, Projector dual batt monitor, 60L under tray water tank, 55w HIDs, Uniden UHF

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:34 pm 

A mate picked me up a little 12v camp oven for $20. I find the smell of a meat pie cooking when driving just what a hungry traveller needs. We've tried chico rolls, toasted sandwiches, cheese sausages and a few other things. They generally wont get as crisp as a real oven but pulling up at camp 400km from anywhere and woofing down a hot pie in front of your mates is worth it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:23 am 

^^^^ That I like! Can't seem to get them in the UK even on ebay :-(

I use a Jetboil for quick cook (and boil) stuff but clearly that's no good for heating stuff on the move

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:53 am 

Where's the oven from Trev?

Google search trick- site:newd-max.net search term here
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1684
Build thread viewtopic.php?f=16&t=549

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:20 pm 

That oven was from Dick Smiths, but I seen similar one's in quite a few places like jaycar usually around the $50. Probably would have never got one before but would definitely get one again if this one dies.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:49 pm 

I decided I needed an awning and since attaching to the almost roller door scraping canopy wasn't an option, a cab top roof rack was a logical option.

I didn't think for a minute how much of a hassle a roof rack would be.

I went to the local ARB and ordered there full cage on leg mounts and paid them to fit it.

Got a call saying there's no factory roof holes as per the instructions.

Long story short, the SX model doesn't have pre drilled factory holes under the black stip. The welded nuts are there above the hood lining but no way of getting
to them other than drilling. ARB didn't want to touch it now, and I wasn't too keen on letting them test holes in my roof.

I got the mounting rails home, dropped the roof lining and decide I would do the drilling.

I put the mounting rails on the roof and there was a massive gap at the front, no way that would seal. After too many emails with ARB I decided this wasn't going to work

These are the rail mounts

No pre drilled holes

This is the Gap

Once I dropped the roof lining you can see the welded nuts (3 each side on SX, all other models have 4).
To drill them from inside the cab and through the centre of the nut would be best but that would require the
removal of the curtain airbag.
To drill from the top you would have to be good with your measurements, hope you don't drill through the airbag or
that the hot metal filings didn't come in contact with the airbag.... Too risky was my final conclusion.

I did drop the roof lining twice and it wasn't too hard, at least I got to see the 10 cent speakers that they
put in our sound system

Look hard and you can see the welded nuts above the airbag

I decided in the end to go Pro Rack and drill the holes on the high side of the roof as the will be less chance of leaks
than holes in the channel. They've been on 5 months now with no noise and handle everything I throw at them.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:37 pm 

Trev thank you very much for that post. Ive been thinking about doing the same for my SX and have heard mixed reports about the practicality of fitting mounts, those pics pretty much sum it up...very risky.

A couple of questions regarding the Pro Racks did you have to worry about hitting anything when you drilled from the roof side, did you seal the holes with a water proofing agent?

Im not a tradie or mechanic so im not that familiar with drilling metal, but I figure the pro rack fitting would be pretty straight forward right.

Thanks again

Rick.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:37 pm 

Hey Rick,

I wasn't too worried about hitting anything on that part of the roof as I did a check when I had the lining down.
I did put masking tape on the roof to avoid scratches, put a tube sleeve over the drill bit so not to drill to far, covered drill bit end in grease to catch filings and
made sure to use a new drill bit or sharp one.

Once the holes are drilled I painted all raw metal, allowed it to dry then covered the rivets you use in sikaflex sealant before installing them.

The job itself is pretty easy just take your time and think it out and check/dble check your measurements.
By far the toughest part was the amount of force
needed to insert the stainless steel rivets, I used a standard rivet gun and after 8 rivets I could barely use my arms. A HD gun would be the answer.

Hope this helps
Trev

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:22 am 

Wish I had not seen this. I got Rhino roof rails installed by Rhino in Sydney and use the Rhino Vortex bars and an alloy tray to suit my Spacecab. It doesn't leak and I remember saying he put extra rivets in in case I do a lot of off road stuff. Curtain airbags were never bought up and I really don't know what they did to fit the rails.
I got mine done as part of a deal where they give you the racks at 70% off and free fitting so they can fit them and take pics as they have not done them. They do it with all new models. The question there is ....if they haven't done one, what exactly do they do. It's not something I really thought about at the time.
I guess I will find out in some months time when I get the roof lined with Dynaliner and a new speaker system. I also suppose if they have damaged the curtain airbags they will have to fix it. That could be costly for them if that was the case. Ouch.

MY15 SX Spacecab,ARB GVM Upgrade,Auto,White,Tinted,Towbar,2.2m O'Brien Alloy Tray,Trundle Draw,ARB Deluxe Steel Bar, Ironman 9500lb Monster Winch,Alloys,Mortels sheepskin seat covers,ARB Sidesteps and Rails,Plenty of Dynamat,Safari Snorkus,AVM HP Hubs

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next