NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM

NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM
It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:48 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

We have NEW server almost ready, try it out here

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:16 pm 

Gday Fellas.

Well Ive recently picked up an awesome blank canvas that is a brand new 2016 LS-M crew cab.

After many years of having a 4wd, a trip up the old tele track and endless weekend camping getaways i regrettably sold my old 87 Pajero.. Then there was a 4 year period of having an old BMW 535i which was a blast to drive and was a good project car. But i really missed the freedom of a 4wd. Plus living in QLD and have never owned a car with aircon was getting old :D

The rough plan for the dmax is keep it neat and tidy and fit it out for weekend trip/longer trips
Something like this:

-Bullbar,rock sliders, rear bar
-Dual battery
-2inch lift and tyres (but it came with dueler A/Ts so thats not too bad)
-UHF
-Diff breathers

Straight from the showroom with less than 20km on the clock.

First job when i got home was mixing up some lanolin and white spirits and giving inside the chassis rails a good spray and i got RACQ autoglass to tint the windows

Second job was mounting a fire extinguisher. You only have to see one 4wd go up to never want to not have one.

Thirdly was putting in some more tray mounting points before i get it rhino lined. It was a good feeling drilling into a new car though.. the missus thought (probably still does) think i am nuts.

De-burred and repainted all the raw steel after drilling the holes.
The tie downs are removeable and sit flush between the tray corrugations.

and lastly was some slimline window cover things.

And picked up some goodies for the bullbar and i'll be putting a safari snorkle on soon, and there's no way im paying $400 for installation..

Cheers

Last edited by Foreveraproject on Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:59 pm 

diff breathers
There are hundreds of diff & gearbox breathers on a DMax.

Dan did a good 'how-to'
http://www.newd-max.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=549&p=7215&hilit=breather#p7215
And http://www.newd-max.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=493&start=20#p11674 might be useful.

They are:-
Front diff, axle and actuator, 3 tubes, hard to trace. Probably best to leave them intact & extend them, rather than pulling the originals out.
Transfer case and gbox. 2
Gbox rear actuator. 1
Rear diff 1.
== 7

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:07 pm 

And fuel tank :D

Tink

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:55 pm 

Got some more work done.

First off was getting the tray rhino lined. Dropped into the bloke since he was around the corner, had a chat and we went through some options, due to the torneau and not having plans to go drawers or a canopy in the future we settled on an 'under rail' finish. I've had multiple mates get utes rhino lined and seeing how well the finish has held up over the years and abuse it was a no-brainer for me. especially with me going to be chucking in bikes, dive gear, climbing gear etc.

It seems i was a bit premature with my tie down points in the tray, they had to come out for the spray and id just put them back in after that.

It came out really good, even with the thickness of the finish he was able to get some nice curves in the corners of the tray.

Next job was only a little one, but putting in a half decent first aid kit. Ive been un/lucky enough (lucky enough that at least there was someone there to help) to have been at several big crashes and have had to do first aid and unfortunately had a poor fella bleed out on me. So for the time it took to put together a first aid kit and have it behind the back seat was good piece of mind.

Contents of first aid kit (minus CAT tourniquet and trauma shears that got added after).

Tear away first aid kit with some velcro on the back- folds up nicely behind the back seat

Lastly took the missus and a mate for a day trip out to bribie island, awesome! great weather, good beach. However it took about 5mins to realize that you have to turn ALL of the traction aids off if you want to drive it normally and not fight the computer when it gets a bit soft or wheelspinny.

And lastly, picked up a safari snorkel, from everything ive read online it shouldn't be too bad to put in, plus i'll be happy knowing its done right.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:34 pm 

Coming a long nicely

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:43 am 

Tub liner looks really good

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:01 pm 

I like the way the extinguisher is done. I think I will copy that!! :D Hate drilling hole if I don't have to.

MY15 SX Spacecab,ARB GVM Upgrade,Auto,White,Tinted,Towbar,2.2m O'Brien Alloy Tray,Trundle Draw,ARB Deluxe Steel Bar, Ironman 9500lb Monster Winch,Alloys,Mortels sheepskin seat covers,ARB Sidesteps and Rails,Plenty of Dynamat,Safari Snorkus,AVM HP Hubs

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:42 pm 

I think I bought your DMax's twin.
Silver LS-M with windshields, and Rhino lining. Only difference is I have the Rhino up and over the tailgate, because I end up carrying stuff that is longer than the tub and so would have scratched the paint off the top of the tailgate.
Only got 7000 klicks but already love it more than the old PJ Ranger. Love the fuel economy too.
Wasn't planning on a bullbar so will be interested to see how yours comes up.
Looking nice, nearly as nice as mine. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:22 pm 

gmax wrote:
Tub liner looks really good

tonedmax wrote:
Coming a long nicely

Thanks for the kind words fellas. She's definitely getting there. Albeit slowly.

Silver05 wrote:
I like the way the extinguisher is done. I think I will copy that!! :D Hate drilling hole if I don't have to.

Cheers mate, Me too. Its just a bit of 50mm flat ally bar. The seat went over the top. Its holding it very snug.

Tugboat wrote:
I think I bought your DMax's twin.
Silver LS-M with windshields, and Rhino lining.
Love the fuel economy too.
Wasn't planning on a bullbar so will be interested to see how yours comes up.

Nice Dmax twins!
Yeah the fuel economy is a very welcome surprise coming from my old car that would average 15-25L/100km...
As for the Bullbar i think ive settled on an MCC single rocker bar. Looks the sleekest ive seen getting around.

Last edited by Foreveraproject on Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:54 pm 

Snorkel Install time!

After seeing posts/pics on this forum re putting a safari snorkel. I decided I would give it a shot. I had the tools and a day off so why not.
Let me say in no way did i rush this (it took about a day) it could have been done WAYYYY quicker. But i wanted to do it right, take the time for paint/sealant to properly dry, have coffee's, have a midday nap... all the good stuff you do on holidays. Plus i wasn't paying an extra couple hundred dollars for a young apprentice to install it..

It was a straight forward install, the instructions and templates you get are a piece of cake..

First off taking the airbox and inlet out.

Seperate the airbox and spinner, and cut off the little flange thingo, then sand it flat.

Like that

Seal it up with some Sikaflex 227 and wack it all back together.

I left this overnight to cure properly, also a tip i learnt from my old foreman, a spray bottle of soapy water sprayed onto the sikaflex lets you mold it smooth/fill cracks with your fingers without sticking.

Next was putting the templates on.

That hole has to be enlargened to the template size (the dremel and a cutting disk was perfect for it)

Drill some holes in a $40k truck with less than 3000km on it :D

The hole-saw was being a bit temperamental with the curves of the panel, grabbing and carrying on, so i finished it off with the dremel. The hole-saw cut was very messy.

Tidied up the hole

Checking the my finished hole with all the dremel-ing was round

Engine side hole enlarged

I then de-burred all the holes, Masked up the holes and sprayed some epoxy enamel from the inside to seal up any raw steel. The same was done for the engine side hole.

Drilled, de-burred then painted the A-pillar holes

The fresh paint got left overnight to dry.
Then in the morning it was time to put it all back together. This was really the easy bit.

I checked that the internal rubber tube had significant clearance several times, tightened everything up, double checked hoseclamps, went for a drive and had no issues with any of the rattles/humming/vibration issues id read about.

All in all it looks great and the lines/fitment of the snorkel is great- it hugs the body perfectly. Pretty happy with it all.

Cheers