NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM

NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM
It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:55 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

We have NEW server almost ready, try it out here

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:53 am 

I opened my hubs when I fitted FWH a long time ago and found there was very little grease in the hub, definitely not enough to lube the bearings on a long hot run.
I repacked the whole hub both L & R sides until the grease level was higher than the bearing cups to ensure continual flow through when grease is hot, ie turns to oil or very thin.

I used to maintain a road sealing gang vehicles and equipment and always packed the trailer hubs of bitumen road tankers, 4 hubs took nearly 4 tubs of grease, ie around 1 kg of grease per hub. they did tens of thousands of KM each year, bearings lasted at least 4 years before you might/maybe replace them for reliability reasons. The other mechanic/road gang used to use 1 tub only to do the whole 4 hubs on his bitumen road tanker. He had to replace the bearings every year as they were brinelled on the cup and cone surfaces and near to failure. Grease is cheap, failure is not.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:00 pm 

Keen to hear if the hubs come loose, as apparently is the case. Ute is Looking good

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:04 am 

Duck wrote:
Keen to hear if the hubs come loose, as apparently is the case. Ute is Looking good

The hubs coming loose is a result of using the ultra slippery gaskets that are supplied with AVM hubs and is easily fixed by simply not using them and using a loctite or similar sealant sparingly instead which I believe he used here. Problem solved as long as you don't use too much.

Google search trick- site:newd-max.net search term here
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1684
Build thread viewtopic.php?f=16&t=549

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:52 pm 

Danno wrote:
Duck wrote:

The hubs coming loose is a result of using the ultra slippery gaskets that are supplied with AVM hubs and is easily fixed by simply not using them and using a loctite or similar sealant sparingly instead which I believe he used here. Problem solved as long as you don't use too much.

Well I'm in I haven't gone ahead as didn't want to worry about fixing them if I can on the track.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:37 pm 

Duck
I have had FWH on for the last 60,000km. Towed in 4wd on rough stuff, no much hill climbing but the hubs never come loose.
As Danny said, dispense with any gasket and don't use silicon sealant either. Both allow the flange faces to move easily.
I got the number wrong for the Loctite for another thread, dunno why, but the tubes I have are all LOCTITE 518. Just checked.
I use it in a number of areas and never had a leak/seep of oil.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6