NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM

NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM
It is currently Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:58 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

We have NEW server almost ready, try it out here

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 6:32 am 

Also managed to get away for a long weekend to Moreton island, thanks to Isuzu for the free ferry tickets.
However the weekend we booked was the one that had 'a months worth of rain'.... but the weather man was wrong. It only ended up being bad weather on the friday, the rest of the weekend was classic qld amazing weather.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 7:35 pm 

Ute is looking great, Moreton looks nice with the max on show. How much were the side steps ?
Must be satisfying doing all the work yourself & save some coin.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:45 pm 

Duck wrote:
Ute is looking great, Moreton looks nice with the max on show. How much were the side steps ?
Must be satisfying doing all the work yourself & save some coin.

Cheers mate, the steps were around $545 from memory.

Nothing much major has happened recently due to being away with work for a couple of months.
However ive managed to swap my sloppy supercheap auto seat covers over with some excellent super trim ones, which fit a million times better. And i got Isuzu to put on a bonnet protector on the 10,000km service. More just collecting bits to put on when ive got enough cash for a bullbar.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:05 pm 

Bit more of an update.

Got my UHF mounted and wired in. I mounted it in behind the dash and put the extension that the hand-piece goes into under the steering wheel. So i can remove it for normal weekly driving so it doesn't get in the way. I mounted as much of it as i could with 3m double sided tape

Also Wired in 3 12v acc points.
Two in the tray and one behind the seat, this should have all the locations i put the fridge covered. All the wiring was using sheathed twin core 50A 6mm^2 wire and i ran it through some split tubing so it'll be well protected. The actual acc points are the narva HDRV ones.

I'll run all the 12v acc stuff through a manual reset circuit breaker once i get the 2nd battery and charger/VSR.

Finally the 2nd battery tray.

I know people dont like the idea of putting a 2nd battery in the engine bay due to the space limiting it to a 10inch battery. But I use the tray too much, for wayyyy too much random items, (surfboards, bikes, soil, firewood, diving gear) that i dont like the idea of putting a battery in there. So i was kind of stuck with an in engine bay type. plus the kind of trips i do my fridge is the only external load overnight and we rarely stay in one place more than a day. So im not too worried with the smaller capacity of the battery.

I looked at the piranha tray but wasn't overly impressed with the way it was mounted, so i settled on the TJM one as it piggybacks the OEM battery tray. Easy install, didn't take long. I guess reasonably priced at ~$200

Im still saving up some cash for the 2nd battery and charger, so thats a little while off

Cheers

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:52 pm 

A couple more jobs.

1) Led light bar. Had this sitting around home since last year. Decided to put it on while i save for an AFN front bar. The standard brackets were too high and the bar didnt line up nicely with the grill. So i made up some quick brackets out of some channel i had. Nothing flash. Not permanent but they do the trick.

Surprised how easy it was to remove the front bar and grill.
Also wired a Stedi 'LED light bar' push switch into a 4wd supa center loom (picked up switch backlight power from a nearby switch). The switch is a tidy replacement for the blanks in the dash.

2) Installed a HPD catchcan. First impressions were that they look amazing and fit reasonably well with the bracket supplied. After that was not impressed at all with the hoses supplied. I tried the two combinations of fitting the hoses, and found that the shorter hose supplied was a touch (30-40mm) too short for my liking, it would have only just made it past the barb on the kit and not been able to be clamped properly, so i used some of my own hose instead.

Then secondly the hoses fitted well on the catch can side. But on the ISUZU side they seemed a touch too big. even the supplied clamps didnt have enough 'squash' to prevent me from pulling the hose off with a little force. so i swapped out the shorter hose with some emissions hose i had and used actual hose clamps on the isuzu side.

As good as the catch can looks, for the price those small oversights (supplied hardware not being 'locking', just plain nuts not spring-washers or nylock) definitely left me with a sour taste.

I also checked out my inter-cooler pipes to see how they were looking after ~12,000km. Definitley not dry. A thin film of oil. I cleaned them out so i had a control to see what difference the catchcan would make after installing.

3) Mocked up the optima that i intend on using for my second battery. I wanted to try and figure out where im going to mount my circuit breaker and charger. After this ill have to rethink their postion as there is sweet F all room with that battery.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:44 am 

This build up is coming along a treat.

I am still up in the air about what i am doing second battery wise, i might just go a portable power pack, like an Ark Pak or the likes.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:21 pm 

Update Time.

A couple more jobs done.

1)Roof-racks. Got a set of ROLA racks from supercheap on one of their Club sale days. Overall Damage was ~$220. Saving myself $179 from RRP. Installing them wasn't as straight forward as they made it out to be, as the Dmax and Colorado listings were the same. But they went on and look good and really aren't noticeable with any extra wind noise.

2) In prep for the summer beach trips got myself an awning and put that on. I'll be taking it off once holidays end as i dont see the point driving around with it one 24/7 when it only take 5mins to bolt back on.

3) And probably the most frustrating update. Even after ALL the stuffing around putting the TJM under-bonnet dual battery system in. I had a last minute change of heart and pulled it out.... I ended up re selling it as it was practically new and went and got myself the ARB tray (sits above the spare wheel). Definitely a bit frustrating as i thought id done enough reading before hand to avoid any problems. But hopefully this should be a better choice in the long run.

Then once id installed the tray i could finally finish the Projecta IDC25 DC-DC charger wiring, the 3 12v points i want, all in conduit with circuit breakers or fuses. It took ages but i wanted it to be tidy and done properly with properly crimped terminals etc.

DC-DC charger wiring- note the Anderson Plug for a solar input in the future if needed.

Battery Tray

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:00 am 

Oh I like that battery under tray idea.. does it hold a full n70? And cost?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:49 am 

jackjames wrote:
Oh I like that battery under tray idea.. does it hold a full n70? And cost?

No, Only a D34 due to its orientation, or similar sized sealed battery. And it was $320 from memory... i think

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:59 pm 

Hey mate im enjoying your build! Very imformative. When you get your afn bullbar, are you going to fit it yourself? Cause i have heard its a task from hell. I got ironman to do mine. Left someone else swearing their head off!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next