NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM

NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM
It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:48 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

We have NEW server almost ready, try it out here

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:26 am 

RyanDmax wrote:
Hey mate im enjoying your build! Very imformative. When you get your afn bullbar, are you going to fit it yourself? Cause i have heard its a task from hell. I got ironman to do mine. Left someone else swearing their head off!

I put my own AFN bar on, its not hard just time consuming.

The instructions aren't clear, the steps aren't in the correct order, some bolts were missing and many washers were incorrect size.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:11 pm 

Foreveraproject wrote:
jackjames wrote:
Oh I like that battery under tray idea.. does it hold a full n70? And cost?

No, Only a D34 due to its orientation, or similar sized sealed battery. And it was $320 from memory... i think
Ok thanks, bigger was really wanting a big one as my audio gear can drain mine in no time if turned up.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:08 pm 

RyanDmax wrote:
Hey mate im enjoying your build! Very imformative. When you get your afn bullbar, are you going to fit it yourself? Cause i have heard its a task from hell. I got ironman to do mine. Left someone else swearing their head off!

Ohhh Cheers mate. Glad you think so.

Yeah ive read it can be a bit of a pain. so i was going to ask as many people as possible and hopefully that covers it.... also i was thinking of dedicating a weekend and several beers to it.... why not. save some coin and have some fun.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:50 pm 

I want your seat covers !!
Looking good.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:09 pm 

Foreveraproject wrote:
RyanDmax wrote:

Ohhh Cheers mate. Glad you think so.

Yeah ive read it can be a bit of a pain. so i was going to ask as many people as possible and hopefully that covers it.... also i was thinking of dedicating a weekend and several beers to it.... why not. save some coin and have some fun.

It's no harder to put on than any other bar, the trick they don't tell you in the instructions is to put the lower side wings on before you mount the bar on the car, this is something you would ordinarily do last but if you do do it last you are going to give yourself a forehead slap and groan something like "oh $h!t that's what he was talking about..."

Google search trick- site:newd-max.net search term here
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1684
Build thread viewtopic.php?f=16&t=549

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:19 am 

Foreveraproject
If you fit the bar, you will use suitable sized flat washers to clamp and spread the bolt force and no spring washers and will do the bolts, HT of course, up tight so you know it is tight and not just looking attached.
You will also spray body wax on the bolts and joins of bar to chassis so you now it is sealed and won't rust/corrode and it can be removed easily if required.

Have you EVER seen a professional fitter use spray body way to prevent rust on anything?

A professional fitter is a person you want to see after he has fitted hundreds and not you being the first bar he fits. They do vary in their expertise and knowledge of bolting stuff together.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:48 pm 

Danno wrote:
It's no harder to put on than any other bar, the trick they don't tell you in the instructions is to put the lower side wings on before you mount the bar on the car, this is something you would ordinarily do last but if you do do it last you are going to give yourself a forehead slap and groan something like "oh $h!t that's what he was talking about..."

Sweet! Thanks for the tip mate.

Quote:
Foreveraproject
If you fit the bar, you will use suitable sized flat washers to clamp and spread the bolt force and no spring washers and will do the bolts, HT of course, up tight so you know it is tight and not just looking attached.
You will also spray body wax on the bolts and joins of bar to chassis so you now it is sealed and won't rust/corrode and it can be removed easily if required.

Have you EVER seen a professional fitter use spray body way to prevent rust on anything?

A professional fitter is a person you want to see after he has fitted hundreds and not you being the first bar he fits. They do vary in their expertise and knowledge of bolting stuff together.

agreed. Ive been disappointed with the poor quality fasteners supplied with some 'kits' these days, not enough washers, no nylock, no HT etc. I know its all in a money saving endevour but i think it ends up detracting from the original product. Ill be busting open the big box of assorted washers when its bullbar time

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:45 am 

mydmax what type of spray body wax do you use, ive sprayed lanox but think the wax would be better, thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:05 pm 

16dmax wrote:
mydmax what type of spray body wax do you use, ive sprayed lanox but think the wax would be better, thanks.

Why would wax be better?
Not having a dig mate- just keen to hear your thoughts.

I used a mix of lanolin and white spirits(to thin it), i think that will penetrate more than the wax IMO but may require more resprays.

Managed to grab an optima D34 for $313 in a recent supercheap auto online sale and finally finish off my dual battery.

Just showing the orientation of the battery- it slides in and down another 10mm-ish

It took me ages to strip-solder-heat shrink every connection, i tried to (as much as possible) heat-shrink the ends of the split tubing to keep things a bit tidier. Also i used the pre-drilled holes that the REDARC DC-DC charger would use for my 12V outlet fuses- they are clearly visible from the wheel arch. As is the waterproof circuit breaker on the other side. Also that uneven spacing of fuses is doing my OCD in :P

The terminals also got a liberal coating of permatex terminal protectant after this photo.

And she works

The fridge was definitely a godsend for a couple days 4wding on the Aussie day long weekend over on Bribie island.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:29 pm 

How good is Bribie so close & beautiful. Ute is looking good.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next