NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM

NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM
It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:26 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

We have NEW server almost ready, try it out here

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2013 SX SPACECAB
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:46 am 

RyanDmax
I am always trying to help people save money. But it is all personal preference of course.

Firstly, I see you want a snorkel. Are you going to be fording deep water to actually need a snorkel?
Unless you are going in water which will seep in through the doors anyway, I don't see the need.
I considered fitting one to my last two vehicles and didn't. But I did fit a Unifilter which serviced properly keeps the airflow far cleaner than the OE filter does, proven in A HJ61 LC for 24 years and my Dmax for 6 years, both used on dusty places at times. Just don't drive in someones dust and there is no problem.

The exhaust, what are you trying to achieve??? More economy? a bigger exhaust will not provide more economy but under full accelleration it may increase the pickup rate. My DMax with a 3" up to the muffler does rev to max quicker but it does not increase power as exhaust makers claim.
The exhaust on a Dmax is large anyway for the size of, and rev range exhaust volume of the engine.
Dmax is Bigger than the exhaust on a 4 litre turbo diesel landcruiser so restriction isn't a problem.

Maybe alter the CAT size after the turbo and have a bigger initial dump pipe to drop pressure across the turbo which will increase the boost to be happening a little lower down. A bigger exhaust does not increase boost though, that is controlled by the ECU. The exhaust drop it's temp around 200C across the turbo and after that it is cooling as it travel rearward. AS it cools it gets smaller in volume and doesn't need a big pipe so a full length costly large exhaust is just not needed, overkill!

Many of the popular beliefs and concepts people think are needed are traded on by companies who want to sell stuff which really doesn't do much at at all.

Cheers
mydmax

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:20 am 

There's nothing wrong with grabbing cooler air through a snorkel from above the car and it gives piece of mind also as the standard inlet draws from just above the front wheel and also gives you the option of going through deeper water should you decide to....and of course it looks cool which is a major contributing factor and very important :mrgreen: The exhaust on the other hand is a complete waste of money, there is a little bit of power to be made out of the downpipe but there goes your warranty, if you want that horrible diesel drone that some love just change the muffler because the exhaust is well big enough.

If you get someone to fit the snorkel make sure it's sealed properly as they often are not because to do it properly certain parts must be left to cure overnight and a fitter will not do that.

Google search trick- site:newd-max.net search term here
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1684
Build thread viewtopic.php?f=16&t=549

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:41 am 

G'day Danno
I am not so sure a snorkel supplies cooler air. Most are black and long and in the sun, so any air going through them to the airbox is being heated by the snorkel in the conditions you want it to be cooler.

The OE air intake is in the guard and it is fed fresh air from the front and is a relatively short shaded distance from the airbox, so unless the air going into a snorkel 600mm above the OE intake is far cooler somehow, and not heated by the snorkel itself in those sunny conditions, I don't think there is much advantage unless going swimming of course.

I will fit a thermometer to my A pillar and compare it to the Intake airtemp on the scangauge. Interesting.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:20 am 

mydmax wrote:
G'day Danno
I am not so sure a snorkel supplies cooler air. Most are black and long and in the sun, so any air going through them to the airbox is being heated by the snorkel in the conditions you want it to be cooler.

The OE air intake is in the guard and it is fed fresh air from the front and is a relatively short shaded distance from the airbox, so unless the air going into a snorkel 600mm above the OE intake is far cooler somehow, and not heated by the snorkel itself in those sunny conditions, I don't think there is much advantage unless going swimming of course.

I will fit a thermometer to my A pillar and compare it to the Intake airtemp on the scangauge. Interesting.

Sorry should have said less dusty air especially if travelling on dirt...let's see you debunk that one mate.

Google search trick- site:newd-max.net search term here
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1684
Build thread viewtopic.php?f=16&t=549

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:43 pm 

Unless following close behind someone the airflow into the front of the vehicle is clean unless wallowing in bulldust.
While a snorkel may intake a bit cleaner air perhaps, I have never had a problem with dust building up more than expected in both the diesels I have owned. I have weighed up the issue many times but akways decided I didn't need one. I agree some peoples use may require one though.

Re the air temp.
I have done a drive and the air temp on dash, ie, what is going into the original air intake system is almost the same as the temp of airflow up on the A pillar.

That doesn't have air sucking in through an external (hot in summer) snorkel. So likely to be cooler than snorkel fed air. The snorkel has to feed to the OE intake to the air box usually with a longer than normal duct inside the guard. Then air gets to the airbox intake. So as far as I can measure, there is no temp benefit.
However, the scangauge reads a bit higher because, no matter if you have a snorkel or original ducting to the airbox, the airbox is black, heat absorbing AND in the engine bay. Engine temp and radiator airflow in engine bay heats the air temp higher despite what is feeding the airfilter area.

I haven't tried this, but insulating the airbox from engine bay radiated heat will probably give a better result temp wise than a snorkel, if that is the reason for purchase. Trucks don't have their airboxes heated by the engine.
I will spend the money on a DC/DC unit sometime.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:57 pm 

Mate I just got those exact tyres love them, not to noisy & good in the sand. As far as the snorkel goes I get less sand in the air box after beach driving.
I have also weighed up a new exhaust but still to many other things that offer more benefit.
Enjoying the build so far.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:14 pm 

mydmax wrote:
RyanDmax
I am always trying to help people save money. But it is all personal preference of course.

Firstly, I see you want a snorkel. Are you going to be fording deep water to actually need a snorkel?
Unless you are going in water which will seep in through the doors anyway, I don't see the need.
I considered fitting one to my last two vehicles and didn't. But I did fit a Unifilter which serviced properly keeps the airflow far cleaner than the OE filter does, proven in A HJ61 LC for 24 years and my Dmax for 6 years, both used on dusty places at times. Just don't drive in someones dust and there is no problem.

The exhaust, what are you trying to achieve??? More economy? a bigger exhaust will not provide more economy but under full accelleration it may increase the pickup rate. My DMax with a 3" up to the muffler does rev to max quicker but it does not increase power as exhaust makers claim.
The exhaust on a Dmax is large anyway for the size of, and rev range exhaust volume of the engine.
Dmax is Bigger than the exhaust on a 4 litre turbo diesel landcruiser so restriction isn't a problem.

Maybe alter the CAT size after the turbo and have a bigger initial dump pipe to drop pressure across the turbo which will increase the boost to be happening a little lower down. A bigger exhaust does not increase boost though, that is controlled by the ECU. The exhaust drop it's temp around 200C across the turbo and after that it is cooling as it travel rearward. AS it cools it gets smaller in volume and doesn't need a big pipe so a full length costly large exhaust is just not needed, overkill!

Many of the popular beliefs and concepts people think are needed are traded on by companies who want to sell stuff which really doesn't do much at at all.

Cheers
mydmax

@mydmax
Hey mate, I appreciate your honest advice. I fully agree with you there with spending money appropriately. Pretty much why I have spent a bucket load on the canopy to get it to the point where I can be off grid, sleep comfortably and be setup/packed away in about 10 minutes.

The reason my next mod will be a snorkel is simply to allow me to be more confident hitting a water crossing either in Tassie or when I travel around the country. And I like the sound of cooler less dusty air!

I do actually agree with you there with the exhaust but would personally like a better note. Nothing owl like though. Maybe if I pair that with an ECU remap down the track it would be worth it? However I'm am thinking of shifting this one down the priority list.

So I can do both these mods for around $400 each, which is really my MAIN reason, money.

A winch is definitely on the list but it's going to be over a grand.
Also a custom draw system inside the canopy whist allowing enough room for my mattress still would be great. But getting that is also around a grand in fabrication.

When I think about it though, I should probably chuck a few things in the engine bay such as a catch can and secondary fuel filter. What's your opinion on that? And can some explain this whole egr delete business? Keeping in mind I have not had a warranty with this car, I see a trusted mechanic.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:40 pm 

Heres a couple of Easter pics :mrgreen:

Attachments:
20180411_013559.jpg
20180411_013559.jpg [ 461.86 KiB | Viewed 2010 times ]
20180411_013209.jpg
20180411_013209.jpg [ 426.57 KiB | Viewed 2010 times ]
IMG_20180411_012738304.jpg
IMG_20180411_012738304.jpg [ 160.86 KiB | Viewed 2010 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:41 pm 

Dunes!! :shock:

Attachments:
20180411_014023.jpg
20180411_014023.jpg [ 445.03 KiB | Viewed 2010 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:13 pm 

Is that enough wood !!!
Nothing like a raging fire.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next