NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM

NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM
It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:40 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

We have NEW server almost ready, try it out here

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:33 am 

Not sure of the exact weight Harry, but the T13 bars are definitely on the heavy side.

I've seen photos around the net of cardboard packaging from T13 bars for other vehicles, showing net weights around the 80kg mark.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:49 pm 

Cheers Will, hoping to keep it light (for what is increasingly appearing to be good reasons...).

H.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:46 am 

Saved up a few bucks and put in an Old Man Emu 30mm lift kit. Got it fitted yesterday and the ute drives like a completely different vehicle now, like it's on rails. It goes without saying that the stock suspension wasn't up to the job, especially with the steel bar on the front.

But that initial joy was short lived. Imagine my delight when I got the ute home, took a look underneath and found this.

Attachment:
IMG_0138.JPG
IMG_0138.JPG [ 271.18 KiB | Viewed 978 times ]

I'm guessing the champion who fitted the suspension managed to hit the right hand side CV boot with something while he was manhandling the front strut into place.

They also neglected to correctly adjust the handbrake; it's loose as now.

The ute's going back in Monday morning for them to fix their mistakes.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:14 pm 

WW
It is sad to yet again, see the results and expertise of professional fitters.
Without using due care and not noticing the damage they cause is inexcusable.

If that is the quality of the workmanship for a relatively simple job of remove and replace, I would now be concerned with WHO is going to correctly fit the same qaulity CV boot without damaging it and ensuring sufficient grease of the correct specs is used. PLus ensuring all bolts are tightened correctly afterwards.

A couple of years back a BT50 owner has vibe issues after a 3 letter lift. They agreed to fit wedges to the rear axle to correct it. It made it worse, I, via the site, suggested they probably fitted the wedges the wrong way around. Guess what, They Did, and fitted the wedges the same way as to correct an underslung spring set and diff position. It was hard to imagine the "EXPERT" fitter couldn't notice the pinion was pointing downward more than ever before. A blind person would have felt the position and instantly known about it.

Most used people who are not trade skilled or mechanically proficient.

Are the yellow shock struts made by Monroe? If so they will perform ok for a period but may lose their effectiveness at ride and mass control after a while.
I had three sets of yellow OME, Monroe made shocks on a previous vehicle and they lost their ability after about 30,000km, hence a new set, then another. Then I never bought OME again for anything.

PS, Did they perform a wheel alignment for correction of camber and toe in?? It will change as the new springs sag a little and may have to be readjusted.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:52 pm 

The suspension kit was fitted by a well known ACT-based supplier of various automotive accessories. They stock ARB as well as many other brands. I won't name them just yet (that may change Monday if they don't make good on the repair), but I certainly expected better workmanship from them given their reputation and history.

The quality of the repair job is certainly weighing heavily on my mind. I don't want the genius responsible for busting my CV boot in the first place touching my car again. I made it clear to them that I won't accept anything other than genuine components, and that when the job's done I expect them to produce proof showing that's what they've used. The vehicle only has 4500km on the clock, and I don't especially want them cheaping out and using some shitty $10 Chinese boot.

I already had the ute booked in elsewhere this morning for a wheel alignment, so that went ahead as planned. I wanted to get the initial alignment sorted out right away, and I also already planned on getting it checked again once things had settled.

I don't know who made the shocks, I'll go take a peek during daylight hours to see if I can see anything printed on them. I understand the OME gear is made by Monroe but to ARB's specs, and that it's not just a case of badge engineering a Monroe product.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:17 am 

Accidents happen ! A business can be judged not on when things are going well, but how they deal with things that have gone badly. I have done 100,000 on 2 different sets of OME suspension & have. Set in the dmax as well. Have never had an issue & have performed well. Hopefully it gets sorted out & you are happy with the result.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:32 am 

I disagree with Duck, re business response.
One should not ever have to judge a business by their response to poor workmanship at all. A good worker would not let it be undetected, look for anything not right, and have it rectified. Letting it out of the shop in that condition is not on.
If the vehicle was then used without a further inspection, ie driven off road, not only the boot would require replacement but much more work and cost involved, quite possibly required at a remote location.
Judge a business on everything correct.

You would have difficulty persuading me the bloke didn’t know he was tangled in the CV boot at some stage during the fit. Simple checking would reveal damage, if checked at all.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:55 am 

If they rang me up on Friday afternoon and said "oops, we nicked a CV boot while installing your suspension, sorry mate, we'll fix it but the car won't be ready until late", I'd be reasonably happy. Mistakes happen.

But the fact the car went out the door to the customer (me) not only with the busted CV boot, but also with a handbrake that won't hold the car except when yanked all the way up says poor workmanship *and* poor quality control. In fact it's enough of a concern for me to book the car in with someone trustworthy to have all of their work double checked, once I get it back.

Imagine how many jet airliners would be smoking craters if this sort of approach to workmanship was common in the aviation trades.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:41 am 

So what a f******g saga this has been.

A timeline of events, since my last post:

Monday 20 August: New CV boot gets fitted, handbrake gets sorted out. Problem solved, I thought.

Friday 24 August: I wander out to the car in the morning, and see grease sprayed up inside the front guard. Take a look underneath and find this.

Attachment:
IMG_20180824_080710.jpg
IMG_20180824_080710.jpg [ 111.78 KiB | Viewed 791 times ]

The strap on the new CV boot has come off. Obviously not fitted correctly. Ring them up, and they send a tilt tray around to pick up the car. Got the car back that afternoon along with a nice LED lightbar as a "sorry" present, but this sort of shit shouldn't be happening.

Monday 27 August: Drop my daughter off to school. Get home, see grease up the inside of the guard again, and have a worrying sense of deja vu. Look underneath, and what do I find?

Attachment:
IMG_20180827_085235.jpg
IMG_20180827_085235.jpg [ 114.77 KiB | Viewed 791 times ]

Strap has come off for a second time.

Looks like their "mechanic" stayed home sick the day they learned how to fit CV boots at TAFE. Ute is back on the tilt tray, and this time it's headed for a proper mechanical workshop.

But at least the handbrake works.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:52 pm 

WW
It is good the operator is providing enough grease inside the CV, however, unless he ensures the rim of the bell is clean, ie, grease free and the boot is clean/dry inside the clamping area, it will probably come off again. They should be boot to cv bell contact and no grease between and band tightened to fix it in the grooves.

He possibly was at the TAFE class, because he passed,( no special recommendation) but since around 9% of mechanics actually take much notice of instruction there is often a repeat problem.

PS, Where are you going to fit the next lightbar?