NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM

NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM
It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:43 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

We have NEW server almost ready, try it out here

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:23 am 

Danno wrote:
MANUAL GEARBOX, TRANSFER & REAR DIFF BREATHERS

Well, the good news is I've figured out how to extend the g-box & transfer breathers correctly and completed mine, the bad news for some is that it's not straightforward unfortunately and will require some drilling and tapping and a bit of spanner work.

Although not straightforward neither is it difficult, but will take the best part of a day at least for those not accustomed to doing these things as it involves among other things pulling the centre console out along with the gearstick and the gearstick extension housing and everything in between.

So I've written this walkthrough for those who might be a bit "spannerly" challenged but definitely want the breathers done.
If I haven't made something clear enough just ask and I'll put more info up.

So it turns out the transfer and separate 4wd actuator (the small tube you can see running from the very back of the gearbox/transfer) are both plumbed to vent into the cavity between where the transfer case and gearbox are bolted together, there is a small drain hole at the bottom much like the one at the bottom of the bell housing to allow any water to escape, unlikely it would get up there however so it's not an all bad idea, but we like them higher than that.

The gearbox breather turned out to be in the gearstick extension housing, it took a long time and some fancy acrobatics to find that one by pressurising the gearbox until I figured out where the air was coming out. Thought I might be up for a Darwin award there at one point.

To do this job you will at least need a set of G 1/8 BSPF taps & tap wrench and a 1/8 brass hose fitting for 6mm or 1/4 vacuum tube. Repco or SCA or whoever will have these fittings, Bunnings may have the taps, if not Blackwoods or similar or even a bolt supply place will have them.

hey Danno, have you had a chance too look into whats different with an auto gearbox by any chance?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:59 am 

The breather for the auto gearbox itself is on top of the bell housing area so you just ignore the extension housing instructions for the manual and extend that instead, all else is the same.

Google search trick- site:newd-max.net search term here
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1684
Build thread viewtopic.php?f=16&t=549

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:57 pm 

Cool build up Danno, some nicely done fit outs and write ups. I feel like your missing one thing though.. some pics of the whole car on the tracks or out bush somewhere..

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:20 pm 

Maxthedmax wrote:
Cool build up Danno, some nicely done fit outs and write ups. I feel like your missing one thing though.. some pics of the whole car on the tracks or out bush somewhere..

This should cover it.. it's definitely out bush, it's not the whole car but it's close.....and it's probably more in the track than on it...

Interesting to see who's got the keenest eye.....

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:26 pm 

I remember that pic. Definitely outdid yourself there.

2012 LS-T, Mineral Grey. ARB Canopy, Traderack, Bullbar, Airtech Snorkel, XDC winch, Xray Vision driving lights, TX3345 GME radio, Dual Battery via Redarc VSR, OME 300kg Constant load suspension, factory towbar, Dueler 697 LT tyres, now 70,000km

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:01 am 

Definitely a good effort!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:01 pm 

what happened to your mcc bar?

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 7:35 am 

Turkey2 wrote:
what happened to your mcc bar?

Sorry for the belated answer... good spotting, the MCC although a nice looking bar was way too heavy on the front, it's made out of a low tensile cheap heavy steel and it's design of having a separate cradle for the winch and mounting only added to it so it got the flick and the AFN was fitted at around 25kg lighter and a much stronger higher tensile steel that among other things was far less likely to deform from a kangaroo hit than the plasticine like steel of the MCC. The main reason was for the weight saving because the car was just too heavy and every bit was counting but also because the front end of a Dmax is just not built to take 100kg of bar and winch, you could actually notice it when I first put it on when cornering the car around town, like when you put too much weight in the front of your trolley at Woolies at the bloody thing just won't corner..? a bit like that, it wasn't much but you did notice it at first.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11