NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM

NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM
It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:46 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

We have NEW server almost ready, try it out here

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:06 pm 

Danno wrote:
AVM FREEWHEEL HUBS

Hmmm... Looks like your alloy rim hit a rock or something fairly hard that more or less slipped off. How strong is the freewheeling hub if it had hit the same thing? Most (all?) of these freewheeling hubs seem to stick out in the breeze, a bit vulnerable.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:19 pm 

garrytre wrote:
Danno wrote:
AVM FREEWHEEL HUBS

Hmmm... Looks like your alloy rim hit a rock or something fairly hard that more or less slipped off. How strong is the freewheeling hub if it had hit the same thing? Most (all?) of these freewheeling hubs seem to stick out in the breeze, a bit vulnerable.

Eh? the rims never hit anything what looks damaged? do you mean the grease?

These things have been sticking out since the day dot and you don't hear many getting damaged, the old Landcruisers used to stick miles out on those old splits, they would have of course but it's a small risk and I carry my originals anyway should one break.
They sit almost dead level with a 265 tyre

Google search trick- site:newd-max.net search term here
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1684
Build thread viewtopic.php?f=16&t=549

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:39 pm 

makes sense, thanks

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:03 pm 

Lanyard wrote:
I like everything about this build especially the fact most had been fitted yourself, 2 things I don't like though are, the alloys need to put steelys on I reckon and the bullbar I went no loops but I don't have to worry about Roos and such which I'm guessing you do danno.

It's a bloody ripper build though mate and well documented too!

Probably the most current pic here mate though it does look a little different now viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1799&hilit=guess+the+gvm , alloys are a pita if you need to remove a tyre from a rim in the bush which is why they never left on our trip with us, the alloys are in storage and they don't make a legal Sunraysia rim that looks any good on these because of the crappy offset so the standard steelies it is despite the fact that they're 10kg's a rim heavier than the alloys before you put the tyres on....of which the tyres are also 10kg's heavier than standard...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:11 pm 

Dynomike wrote:
Hi Dan!

Which freewheel hubs did you exactly order, respectively how many "teeth" do yours have?

They are a 433 17 spline mate (teeth).

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 7:57 am 

Danno wrote:
TYRE PRESSURE MONITORING SYSTEM

I decided to fit one of these systems to the D Max, although a little bit reluctantly because there's really nowhere left to put anything neatly on the dash in view other than the windscreen which I don't like, after doing a lot of research I decided on the good old Tyre Dog brand with external sensors as the internal sensors can play up a bit with reception issues and hard to swap to the spare etc.

So here's the trick, if you go and buy the one I've got from one of the three letter companies you will most probably get one that is made in China and all the things that go with that, expect to return it at least once, but if you buy it online (ebay) you will get one that's made in Taiwan and pay 100 bucks less delivered, the quality between China and Taiwan is miles apart and they supply English instructions.

I ordered a TD1400A-x4 with the coloured screen for about 250 odd delivered, all the while wondering where I was going to put it. When it turned up a week later I pulled out this..

problem solved, that'll go anywhere! I didn't realise it was so small so I'll just Velcro it to the dash somewhere and being battery operated you don't need to run a lead to it if you don't want and when nothings happening it goes to sleep to save the batteries while still monitoring, it will wake up and let you know if something's wrong with pressure and temperature in any of the tyres, it also comes with a 12 volt connector and will keep the screen on all the time if plugged in.

This is what the sensors look like, they are large but don't affect wheel balance and a 265 tyre is wide enough to protect them.

After a couple of weeks of testing there's no reception issues wherever I put it, which can be a problem with these things and it's very accurate, so far it gets the thumbs up.

Just a word of warning on these fellas, I've had nothing but trouble with it and would never buy another, the sensors are sluggish to pick up and sometimes won't make contact for an hour! if at all even if the unit is right in front of it, it also blanks out from time to time needing a reboot and some other issues, it has been sent back directly to the Tyredog factory to be repaired and came back improved but still not good enough, I can only assume they're all the same.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:17 am 

Danno,

I am new to this forum and to the DMAX. :D
I have recently found this forum and your thread and have just sat here drooling, while reading all your posts.
You have done pretty much everything I want done to my Dmax, but sadly I lack the mechanical skills, tolerance and work area to do any of this... so lots of $$$ needed on my part

I am in total awe of your creation and definitely your ability.

Cant wait to read more as you keep 'meddling' with your beast.

Soon to be added: 2 x 4in LED reverse lights, 80ch UHF, winch & draws

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:34 pm 

Hey Dan, great build, awesome Info it's a credit to you.
Going back to your locker post, can you tell me if the preload and alignment is made by shims or the run of the mill screw in/out set up for the crown wheel bearings? Reason I ask is I called up Opposite lock the other day to get a quote for the locker and they told me it's adjusted by shims, so it put me off doing it myself but looking at your picture I think it's just the standard type of adjustment on Banjo style diffs.
Thanks Mike

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:09 pm 

Thanks mate, I'm pretty sure it's shims which sort of put me off it too.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:20 am 

Great write up, and pics

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next