NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM

NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM
It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:45 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

We have NEW server almost ready, try it out here

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:52 pm 

I'd just say his tray's a smidge long and looking at the way the ladder mounts at the rear it's got to be level with the back and having it that way at least allows the excess space to be used for something like a water tank rather than wasted at the back.
It only weighs about 300kg's anyway which is only about 200 more than a canopy so it's not like it's super heavy and packed correctly I see no problem with the overhang.

It looks great Silver, how big is that bed? can't really tell in the pics.

Google search trick- site:newd-max.net search term here
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1684
Build thread viewtopic.php?f=16&t=549

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:34 pm 

You have a good eye Danno!! :lol: It has to be level with the rear for the ladder to function properly apparently, but I have not played with putting it on and off yet so I can't be positive that I don't have a bit of room to play with. The gap is 125mm so it's not huge and as it is only around 300kg ( the website says 280kg) the overhang hopefully won't cause any problems if I drive ( do things) accordingly. The water tank and batteries are forward of the axle ( they are not included in the 280/300kg) and in all reality the rest of the weight is not really much I guess...clothes, fishing gear, food and odds and ends. I can and will still use the Tonka Toy for some things...that's why I got a spacecab and the recovery gear will be in the draw. My boat doesn't weigh much so there is limited pressure on the towball.
I could have got a tray made a bit shorter but stuck with a stock size to save a few hundred dollars. It's a bit of a compromise but that space maybe could be used for a poly fuel tank or some sort of storage for the awning and tent poles or stuff like that. I've got to play around a bit yet :D. The overhang does concern me a bit but it's the best I can do and will just have to keep it in mind.
I will get it up the weighbridge...probably in the next month but maybe I won't be letting it be public if it's over!! You never know if an insurance company is reading all this :shock: :? :lol:
The bed is a standard size single. They usually come with a double but I generally don't need it ( I could always chuck the mattress on the ground if my luck changed :lol: ) I can swing my legs over the side and if you look hard there is a mini open wardrobe up the far end. I kept it open so I can still see through it. It has edges all around it so I can store stuff on the bottom and top and they won't be sliding all over the place.
Some extra details...84ltr water tank with electric pump, room for 2 x 100amp batteries, windows on the side wind out and have screens, the hatch on the top is a marine grade one and withstand heavy hail etc and is a wind up/down with insect screen and I have screens for the side and rear. They are midge proof. There is also an awning track on the kitchen side and rear but I have not got anything made to suit yet. The fridge slide is an MSA one. There is also a small shelf/table that sits/clips on the kitchen side. You can see it stored in the pic at the top roughly in the middle.
It has connections so it can be charged from the car while driving or straight from a solar panel through a Redarc 12v BCDC25 charger which has a MPPT controller built in.

MY15 SX Spacecab,ARB GVM Upgrade,Auto,White,Tinted,Towbar,2.2m O'Brien Alloy Tray,Trundle Draw,ARB Deluxe Steel Bar, Ironman 9500lb Monster Winch,Alloys,Mortels sheepskin seat covers,ARB Sidesteps and Rails,Plenty of Dynamat,Safari Snorkus,AVM HP Hubs

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:09 pm 

Ok I see the ladder is attached to the Pod , I would soon alter that and shove it further forward .

The only reason I spotted that is the mate has a Pod , he is fitting to his new Hilux , he had a tray made with a removable headboard , when he fits the pod he will be able to get it just that little bit closer to the cab ,

His pod is smaller than silvers but has a RoofTop Tent , its only supposed to weigh 260kg , add a battery , water and all the other stuff , its amazing how much crap you can chuck in those things , they get bloody heavy .

It was on his 02 Hilux and I have had it on my Dmax , you really need to keep the weight as far forward as possible .

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:15 pm 

Well I think you will be fine with the weight, and I would be too worried about overhang,(I'm sure there is something useful to do with the 125mm space behind cab.throw you're fold out table and chairs in there, I have table chair combo that folds down to 100mm, then you wack a roof awning on and you have a really good solo set up.

I met a really good bloke with basically the same pod on Fraser recently, it was on a triton though but I forgave for that cos he was a legend of a bloke that had done some trips that I was jealous of.
Anyway I love the rig mate,enjoy it,and maybe I will see you out in the mud one day.

Lanyard

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:41 pm 

That is a sensational setup, you must be so happy. You'd mentioned the tray camper several times. To see it now and how well it all fits up.... Just awesome!

That small gap could easily stow a fold up table, chairs, a shovel etc. So quite useful too!

I rate it 9 out of 10. Remove their free advertising plastered all over it, and the score goes up to 10! ☺

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:01 am 

A few 'like' minds here :D . The fellow that makes them is a really nice guy BUT the advertising IS going...I suppose a hair dryer might do the trick. I reckon the space could be well utilised but i'll think about it for a while yet. I hooked a battery up today to check that the electricals and charger are working and will do the fridge later.
With the drawer under the tray I think I can balance the weight pretty well...all the recovery/non essential stuff will be in the draw.
Some marine carpet will be fitted around the place and a bracket for a 12v TV that I have and a few other refinements will be made. I want a lockable stainless/steel filler cap where I fill the water. I'm still behind my schedule...just need a lotto win...but i'll just have to go away shortly with or without the boat. :D

MY15 SX Spacecab,ARB GVM Upgrade,Auto,White,Tinted,Towbar,2.2m O'Brien Alloy Tray,Trundle Draw,ARB Deluxe Steel Bar, Ironman 9500lb Monster Winch,Alloys,Mortels sheepskin seat covers,ARB Sidesteps and Rails,Plenty of Dynamat,Safari Snorkus,AVM HP Hubs

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:06 am 

Mate, just a word of advice re putting your recovery gear in the under tray drawer. Sure, store it in the drawer whilst not offroad, but once going anywhere where you may need to use your recovery gear, pull it out of the drawer and put it in the cabin with you. Nothing worse than getting stuck and you can't open up the drawer/door to get to your recovery gear.

Tink

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:09 am 

OK. Good idea. I reckon the bag with the straps etc could just stay in behind the passengers seat. I also have a full length shovel but will get a small fold up one and could store the Maxtrax in the space behind the camper I guess.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:10 pm 

Tink wrote:
Mate, just a word of advice re putting your recovery gear in the under tray drawer. Sure, store it in the drawer whilst not offroad, but once going anywhere where you may need to use your recovery gear, pull it out of the drawer and put it in the cabin with you. Nothing worse than getting stuck and you can't open up the drawer/door to get to your recovery gear.

Tink

Agreed Tink, good thinking 99

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:05 pm 

I got some lightbar covers made just to protect against constant exposure and rocks etc. I wanted something that was super easy and quick to take off and put on. I'll be taking them off regularly, as in, when I am in a shopping centre car park, boat ramp etc. I have put a strip of foam type stuff behind the covers to stop any rocks doing damage.
I measured them up and Sarah from Myswag is now on the other place ( we should ask her to join here) and I emailed her and she made them up for me. Really happy with them and price didn't break the bank. She can make what ever you want...just measure it and it's done, although it is always better to ring her and make sure you fully explain what you want.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next