NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM

NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM
It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:45 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

We have NEW server almost ready, try it out here

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:17 am 

I'm fitting a Kenwood Media device to my 2012 Dmax with a tailgate camera.

I'm concerned about the cable at the tailgate hinge getting damaged.

Any ideas of how I can make this work?

OEM probably has a rubber boot for protection, is that correct?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:36 am 

G'day mustangdude

It seems to be made for American use, ie favouring the RHS. Most Aussie cars have the camera biased to the LHS of centre. That may not be much of an issue though. You mention the cable and the hinge.
Is it possible for you to position the cable length ways, so the visible ends of the cable where they leave the body and go to tailgate are 200mm apart. That way the cable which is captured at the body between the hinges and captured onto the tailgate under ledge, means the cable is nowhere near the hinges and only has to twist near to 90degrees when the tailgate is opened. Hatchback vehicles do similar, so bending and hinge damage or entanglement never happens.

Is it possible to bias the camera to the left inside that housing? so when reversing out of angle bays it sees, not straight backwards, but looks up the road where the vehicles are coming from.
I fitted a couple of camera systems to vans which constantly reverse out of blind laneways. By allowing the vehicle to safely protrude 100mm past the building you could see way up the street if it was then safe to reverse. A straight rear facing camera cannot do that.
Unfortunately, if left biased, the centre of picture isn't centre of screen but you get used to that.
On my Isuzu my camera looks left for street view and the towball is low down on screen and about 1/3 of the screen from the RHS of screen. Suits me functionality wise, but may not suit others. The amount lost off RHS of screen view is easily seen in the RHS mirror. Where the inside of my RHS mirror ends, the reverse camera screen begins, so there is no blind spots.

PS. If you don't change the handle but just use the camera it can be down under tailgate and no constant wiring movement has to be allowed for. Just an alternative.
Cheers

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:20 am 

All good points.

I may put the camera up high mounted on the canopy near the brake light, depending on how hard it is to do hidden wiring.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:35 am 

I tried that but found the curve of the rear screen means you can't get the camera to see the towball or near to the rear, which I think is essential for me, so mine sits to the RHS of the towball facing left as mentioned abov

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:46 am 

On my LST, the cable enters the tailgate at the bottom as per the photo.

Attachment:
Tailgate Camera Cable.JPG
Tailgate Camera Cable.JPG [ 136.31 KiB | Viewed 463 times ]

In addition to the standard camera in the handle which works very well, I have fitted a second camera mounted on the two mounting screws that hold the number plate in place.

I have fitted a second monitor over the interior mirror and between both screens I can normally hook up the van in one go. I also have a second (or is that third) on the back of the caravan.

Having the camera up that high will probably not include the towball.

2014 LST Ash Beige. SMM Steel canopy, Outback Drawers, dual battery with 2 x 160W solar panels (keeps the beers nice and cold), 135L tank, TJM T15 alloy bar with Xray-vision LED lights, Dumbo Clearview Mirrors. The ultimate tow truck.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:20 am 

All good points.

That's why this forum is great.