NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM

NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM
It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:28 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

We have NEW server almost ready, try it out here

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:41 pm 

Hi Guys, new to this forum and the D-max. Had mine for about two months now and am really impressed. Replaced a 10 year old Hilux. I've decided to replace the factory radio with a Pioneer AVIC-F70 head unit plus Pioneer rear camera. So working my way through the installation manual, I've noticed that I need to connect the head unit to a speed pulse wire (Car Speed Signal Input on the Pioneer) so that, I guess, the Sat Nav works correctly. Any ideas for where I can pick up this wire? I've searched around and can't find any reference, so any help would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:04 am 

See attached the pinout of the original head unit.

Attachment:
Radio QY7460I-A PIN OUT ONLY.JPG
Radio QY7460I-A PIN OUT ONLY.JPG [ 114.07 KiB | Viewed 5776 times ]

2014 LST Ash Beige. SMM Steel canopy, Outback Drawers, dual battery with 2 x 160W solar panels (keeps the beers nice and cold), 135L tank, TJM T15 alloy bar with Xray-vision LED lights, Dumbo Clearview Mirrors. The ultimate tow truck.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:12 am 

Have no idea where to find it and a wiring diagram is not available for this car but I do know that the unit will function perfectly without it, so if all else fails.....

Google search trick- site:newd-max.net search term here
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1684
Build thread viewtopic.php?f=16&t=549

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:45 am 

I am guessing that the speed would only be needed for auto volume adjustment, not GPS function.

Tink

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:29 pm 

Thanks Guys for the replies, I did wonder if the unit really needed it. After all Google Maps navigation has worked well on my tablet and that only has a GPS signal to work with. If it is just for auto volume the I can live without it, but would be nice to find the correct wire if necessary. I have seen aftermarket CAN-BUS devices that provide the pulse, but they looked a bit expensive and seemed a waste if the signal was available in the vehicle loom as standard. Now that this Pioneer head unit has become a standard accessory in the UK I might just find a friendly dealer who can help.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:24 pm 

Probably worth going to your local dealer. I had same issue with Poineer AVIC F77 DAB headunit. It does say in manual it is needed for the Pioneer sat nav too but presumed gps would be sufficient. It is needed for auto volume adjustment though. I called at my local dealer (York Vans) and the mech started pulling out the instrument cluster but his mate appeared and said it was at glovebox side. Left them to it and went and had a complimentary coffee. They soon had it connected up.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:07 am 

I have the Pioneer AVIC-F70 in mine - the speed display on the Sat Nav is GPS driven not vehicle driven as it is deadly accurate as compared to speedo in the dash - I know this because I've spent 6 months driving through 50 mph average speed cameras whilst my speedo in the dash says 57mph and the one on the Pioneer says 53mph

I have a PDF installation manual if you want it - here's my decode of all the sockets on the back
Attachment:
pioneer-avic-f70dab-sockets.jpg
pioneer-avic-f70dab-sockets.jpg [ 125.12 KiB | Viewed 5721 times ]

I'd strongly recommend fitting the extender RCA cable into the Aux Video In before you seal it all back up - its a bitch getting a cable in after the event. Also make sure if you don't already have then in the original unit, make sure you have USB cables in the slots on the left (on my pic) - you'll need #2 to get certain stuff working (Android Auto, Mirrorlink etc)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:21 am 

DiscoSteve wrote:
I have the Pioneer AVIC-F70 in mine - the speed display on the Sat Nav is GPS driven not vehicle driven as it is deadly accurate as compared to speedo in the dash - I know this because I've spent 6 months driving through 50 mph average speed cameras whilst my speedo in the dash says 57mph and the one on the Pioneer says 53mph

Steve as long as you have standard wheels and tyre sizes the speed coming out of the pulse wire will be accurate, the 4mph is added by the ecu as a requirement in Australia anyway, you'll find that although your speedo reads fast your odometer will be correct, conversely if you fit 265/75 /16 or equivalent 17's the speedo will be corrected but the odometer will read slow.

Google search trick- site:newd-max.net search term here
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1684
Build thread viewtopic.php?f=16&t=549

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:48 am 

Steve.

I think my AVIC-F77dab uses gps most/all of the time for speed read out. If the speed wire isn't connected the sat nav operates in 'simple hybrid mode' (on F77). Doubt this makes a jot of difference but with speed sense wire connected it makes sat nav more accurate in areas where gps view is obstructed by tunnels, large buildings and forests - so I read! Automatic Sound Leveler uses it which I find useful as speed and noise increase.

I have 265/70x17 a/t tyres fitted to my D-Max Utah and gps reading 50mph gives a speedo reading of approx 53mph. Those miles of 50 mph average speed check cameras make cruise control useful at least.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:39 am 

Sat Nav GPS of 50mph is much the same on the dash speed 53-54mph - given the 10% rule generally applied that's why I push mine to Sat Nav 53mph

Slightly Off Topic...
Once thing that does bother me with the F70 though - the phone button on the steering wheel does NOTHING when I have a phone bluetooth connected - certainly won't answer a call or trigger any kind of dialog when trying to make a call - I have to jab my finger on the caller display Pick Up button on the F70 screen - anyone else (in the UK) have this issue?

The best solution for me would be to hook it up to the the Google Microphone icon in Android Auto - the voice recognition is awesome on it, but again having to take eyes of the road to jab the Google Microphone icon is not ideal...