NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM

NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM
It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:51 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

We have NEW server almost ready, try it out here

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:16 pm 

Sorry if this is an easy fix, but I've searched google and many forums to try resolve this enquiry, but have had no luck..

I have a 2013 D-Max X-Runner..

I installed an aftermarket android car stereo in it..

Being android, this stereo have video/movie playback..So sometimes I would like to watch a movie etc..

This is fine, and I can do so, but if I was to just park on the side of the road or at the beach at night etc, to watch something, there's two small headlights, two rear parkers, and rear number plates lights that alway are on when my key is in the ignition..

I'm assuming these maybe called DRL's (Daytime Running Lights), for the are on all the time..

I've heard these a standard now for many cars, due to safety or whatever..

I'm happy to have them on while driving, but is there any way at all to turn them off??

Just so I can sit and watch if I wish too at night, without lights being on?

I've read to pull fuses out..tried that, tried pulling all of them out..only one worked, but 50%, it only turned off my right side headlight and parking light..

Ultimately, I would love to be able to just put a switch that can turn these lights off, next to my dash illumination control..

Does anyone know if that is possible? If so, how can I do this?

Alternatively, I have thought of just wiring the stereo to be live at all times, so I don't need the key in my ignition, but if I forget to turn off the stereo, I don't want it to drain the battery..

Does anyone know some options I have?

Thanks in advance :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:24 am 

I am guessing that you are not in Australia because the DRL's were not available on this model, mine is a 2014 and I fitted aftermarket DRL's.

Sounds like yours are connected to the Accessories supply rather than an Ignition supply as mine are, mine only come on while the ignition is turned on. Also being aftermarket, mine do not turn on any of the rear lights.

2014 LST Ash Beige. SMM Steel canopy, Outback Drawers, dual battery with 2 x 160W solar panels (keeps the beers nice and cold), 135L tank, TJM T15 alloy bar with Xray-vision LED lights, Dumbo Clearview Mirrors. The ultimate tow truck.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:50 am 

What country are you from?

What you are describing is called park lights in Australia and are manually activated by the driver from the light stalk on the steering wheel.

DRLs in Australia as only forward facing LED lights which automatically come on with the ignition. Maybe your lights are similarly activated.

Maybe you could power your DVD player from the accessories circuit rather than the ignition circuit.

Tink

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:44 pm 

Bob wrote:
I am guessing that you are not in Australia because the DRL's were not available on this model, mine is a 2014 and I fitted aftermarket DRL's.

Sounds like yours are connected to the Accessories supply rather than an Ignition supply as mine are, mine only come on while the ignition is turned on. Also being aftermarket, mine do not turn on any of the rear lights.

Tink wrote:
What country are you from?

What you are describing is called park lights in Australia and are manually activated by the driver from the light stalk on the steering wheel.

DRLs in Australia as only forward facing LED lights which automatically come on with the ignition. Maybe your lights are similarly activated.

Maybe you could power your DVD player from the accessories circuit rather than the ignition circuit.

Tink

Hi guys,

Cheers for the response..

I'm from Australia..

I just assumed these were called DRL's because a mate told me that's what they were, and when I googled as to what these always on lights could be, most forums said DRL's..

I only bought then car last month, and never owned a ute before..

I was told by another friend that they were park lights Tink, and that I should be able to turn them off with the light stick switch, but there's switch or option to do so..

The car manual has no info on how to switch off either..

Just as soon as I put the key in and turn on the ignition, on they come (front left & right small headlight / rear top left & right park light / light over rear number plate)..

Yeah I'm thinking powering the player direct to accessories is the only option Tink, but was hoping there was just a way to just have a switch option..

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:57 pm 

Ok, is your vehicle second hand? If so, it may have been a mine site vehicle. A lot of mine site vehicles require park lights to turn on and off with the ignition. Find the added, aftermarket wiring and insert a switch.

Tink

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:38 pm 

Tink wrote:
Ok, is your vehicle second hand? If so, it may have been a mine site vehicle. A lot of mine site vehicles require park lights to turn on and off with the ignition. Find the added, aftermarket wiring and insert a switch.

Tink

Yeah it is second hand, but I just found the problem :D :D :D

It was my aftermarket stereo..the wiring harness it comes with is wired incorrectly..

I found this:

http://www.newd-max.net/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1895

Danno wrote:
To make it work you will probably have to do what I did if the loom is the same as mine, there is a red wire that is looped from one terminal to another below it, cut this wire and permanently crimp off the half that shares with another wire in the same hole, then cut the brown wire and join it to the remaining red, problem solved. If your colours are different it still shouldn't be too hard to figure it out from the pic.
The problem is that the loom is wired in such a way that when you turn on the stereo the stereo supplies power to your parkers back through the illumination circuit, cutting the looped red will fix the problem but leave you with no stereo lights, attaching the brown fixes that.

I basically bought the car and put my aftermarket stereo in the same day, so I didn't notice or realise that these park lights do not usually come on, without manually turning on (which they do so again now ;) )

Thanks for your help and replies though Tink :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:26 pm 

Great result.

Tink