NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM

NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM
It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:49 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

We have NEW server almost ready, try it out here

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:25 pm 

Hello Everyone this is my 1st post, i have tried to use the search button but i couldnt find what im locking for.

i am located in the UK and i have a 2013 yukon double cab manual transmission DMax 2.5TDi 120kW. it recently got MOT'ed and when i got home i realised the reverse light was constantly on. i havent gone back to the garage as i think it would turn into a fruitless argument as it was fine when you picked it up shout. i have taken the bulb out as not to drain the battery.

i think what has happened is somehow they have managed to stick the reverse light switch in a constant on position or it is a coincidence its gone or damaged.

or i am totally wrong and it is something else. either way, has this happened to anyone before and does anyone have a picture or FSM diagram of the location of the RL switch to replace it.

Thanks in advance

Dan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:16 pm 

Do you have a tow bar and trailer plug? If so I would check if there are crossed wires in the base unit.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:18 pm 

thanks for the reply mydmax. i do have a tow bar and and trailer plug but they were fitted over a year ago and this only happened after they had MOT'ed it. i will check that though to see.

just to update. because it was cold and dark and i didnt want the battery to drain i took the bulb out and the yesterday (the day after i took the bulb out and MOT) the ABS and ESC warning lights came on. so i did a search on here and the tow bar and plug seem to pop up, but i dont know if the bad earth from removing the bulb has done it. funnily enough the warning lights of the ABS and ESC didnt come on when i drove in daylight today i.e. no headlights as they came on the night before when i did have headlights on.

all a bit confusing.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:07 am 

For the reverse light/s to be on when stopped there has to be power being fed to the switch on the gearbox.
That would mean it is getting power when key is off.
Has anyone done electrical work or changed wiring? I would look at all the tiems the MOT folk touched.

Sometimes, when the battery is getting poorly and there is low volts, ie lower than normal during cranking/starting, the ABS and ESC lights will be on for a while afterwards. Usually giving the battery a good charge by charger or replacing battery fixes that and also restores reliability. Has it been cranking slow to start?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:54 pm 

i will ask the MOT garage today if they touched anything electrical and if so untouch it!

the engine has been cranking OK as we have cold weather here over the last few days (for the UK that is), wait till the glow plug sign goes off and it starts fine with no real lag or sign of battery at low volts. i can check the battery with the volt meter when engine off and on see if it charging properly but i think i read in the owners manual the battery light will come on if the alternator is going?

just so i can get the idea out of my head and tell me i am wrong if i am please. can the back up light switch be stuck in the on position, is the switch is like a push switch so when the gear stick is in reverse position it pushes the switch on completing the circuit and bulb goes on and there is a beep. is the beep on a rely switch? am i loosing battery power as a rely or circuit is complete?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:19 pm 

I would think the power which supplies the reverse light switch on the gearbox and then to reverse lamps is OFF when key is off or at CC position.

Reverse lamps should only be on when ign ON or running.
Perhaps someone has altered some wiring or a relay is stuck on and that is supplying power to the reverse system.

If you find the fuse for reverse system and/or the relay which supplies power to that system, pull the fuse and after trying that pull the relay to see if the Rev lights go off.

Other than that it is hard to tell what else may be the issue.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:59 pm 

just did a test on the battery and it was 12.5v when off 14.55v when engine running 14.45v when lights on and 14.35v when lights and heater where on. i guess thats probably normal.

will check the fuses and rely. not sure what circuit the reverse light is on, couldnt find it on the owners book. if it is just on the 'lights' circuit easy to find out.

will keep searching.