NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM

NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM
It is currently Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:18 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

We have NEW server almost ready, try it out here

Post subject: Adjusting the handbrake
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:15 pm 

My handbrake lever comes up a few more notches than it use to, is there a central adjuster underneath the plastic consul/trim or is it underneath the floor pan? Or is the slack just taken up at the drum of each rear wheel??

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:52 pm 

earthman
The drum brakes have mechanical automatic adjusters, when either the shoes wear enough, AND/OR, you brake more severely when reversing, the shoes actuate the ratchet adjusters to take up some of the slack.
Unfortunately, most of these systems only ensure the shoes don't get too far slack, ie, too much clearance betwen shoe friction lining and drum.
It is unlikely anything has altered forward of the rear brakes and so, taking up, the adjustment by adjusting the shoes until they touch/lock the drum and then releasing the adjustment until the shoe just touch, ie, free again, is the only way to ensure the handbrake feel/pull up distance is returned to normal.

It takes one screwdriver to adjust the ratchet wheel to tighten, but needs juggling two screwdrivers, one to back off and the other to push and hold ratchet plate away from ratchet wheel so you can slacken it off again to free.
I do that periodically, never had to touch any other item.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:55 pm 

Many thanks mydmax, I am aware of that system via other vehicles that I've worked on, some also had an adjuster for the cable near the handbrake end, thanks for confirming that the D-Max doesn't have that.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:58 pm 

Oh, forgot to ask, how many clicks up on the handbrake do you aim for until the wheels are fully locked?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:45 pm 

I have never looked for an adjuster near the handbrake, only adjusted the shoes when handbrake is too much. it should never get out of hand though because of the self adjusters. I like it being 3 clicks responsive. If the shoes are nearer the drums than the self adj make it, then that is better. Mine is 3 clicks.
However, I never allow it to click as I apply the handbrake. Allowing it to click only wears away the little pawl on the lever and therefore also wearing away the quadrant teeth too. We rely on those teeth to always hold it applied. I used to have to repair truck handbrakes years ago because they got worn out by click, click, click and then released by themselves. Runaway truck not good, the boss said.
New rules came into force and driver instructors specially told all drivers to NOT click it up.
Everytime I hear someone do it I just smile.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:29 pm 

Oh yeah, during every day use, I agree about not making it click, I just used that as a reference point really.
I'm not sure what the current MOT rules are in the UK, years ago I remember possibly 4 or 5 clicks up being the maximum for a pass,...not sure.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:24 am 

Going by this page of the workshop manual, it looks like there is some sort of adjust nut by the handbrake lever, I haven't removed the plastic around it to confirm this myself though.
Another page mentions 6 to 9 notches on the lever, when the lever is pulled with a force of 30kg/66lb. Who needs to pull up on a handbrake with that amount of force, that sounds odd/excessive to me. :?:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:30 pm 

Really a different thread. How / where did you get a workshop manual. Here in Aust, we've given up trying.

I've used one printed in Norwegian, one in Thai, an easily available pre-2013 one, but it's impossible to get relevant ones in English.

Context: Australian Competition and Consumer Commission has been talking about stopping illegal monopoly behaviour by car dealers for a few years, but nothing's happening.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:54 pm 

garrytre wrote:
Really a different thread. How / where did you get a workshop manual. Here in Aust, we've given up trying.

I've used one printed in Norwegian, one in Thai, an easily available pre-2013 one, but it's impossible to get relevant ones in English.

Context: Australian Competition and Consumer Commission has been talking about stopping illegal monopoly behaviour by car dealers for a few years, but nothing's happening.

I'd love to have a proper paper workshop or Haynes manual for that matter too, I just have a CD version. Like you say, some sections are in other languages and it's a pain to scroll through/find what you are looking for. It's better than nothing though.

This CD seller is on your side of the pond.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ISUZU-D-MAX ... 35d0b205c7

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:42 pm 

2007-2012
Got that one. Want a 2014 one.