NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM

NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM
It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:58 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

We have NEW server almost ready, try it out here

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 2:00 am 

Hi everyone, I'm about to buy a 4x4 2015 Dmax with 90.000kms (or 56.000 miles) on the clock.
Everything works fine, with ONE exception: rust (and a bit of dark smoke after pushing the gas pedal to the metal).

I'm looking for a "cheap" 4x4 after my 2017's 4x4 Mitsunishi L200 (or Triton) got violentely stolen by 8 thiefs armed with guns - insurance didn't responded, long story.

About the Dmax:

This ute was working on a copper mine (yes, I live in Chile and most of utes belongs to minning companies, so we have a lot of salt on the ground, most of the time driving on 4x4 mode) Most companies work with leasing so they buy the truck and they get rid of it after three or two years.

I tested it on the dealership and I didn't found strange sound or anything, looks and sound solid, I found it smokes a bit through the exhaust after pushing the pedal to the metal. After having more than three diesels, I got used to smoke.
About the rust: IS IT REALLY BAD? This ute is just 4 years old, and with just 56.000 miles on it.

I just uploaded 4 pics of the ute itself

Outside:
Attachment:
1y5s28r - Imgur.jpg
1y5s28r - Imgur.jpg [ 42.75 KiB | Viewed 1443 times ]

Rear:
Attachment:
tvtq5qS - Imgur.jpg
tvtq5qS - Imgur.jpg [ 36.49 KiB | Viewed 1443 times ]

Exhaust pipe (yes, very corroded, fix it or change it?)
Attachment:
CKt0G1R - Imgur.jpg
CKt0G1R - Imgur.jpg [ 25.49 KiB | Viewed 1443 times ]

Regards!

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 5:46 am 

Pazzesco
Because the ute has been is a salty situation I would buy some Lanolin or waxy/oily spray and after thoroughly washing the chassis out from end to end with a garden hose or fire hose (higher flow rate)allow it to dry out. then spray the solution into the chassis holes and ends wherever possible. That way it will arrest any rust/tinworm in there.
There are plenty of production holes in the chassis and so most if not all of the chassis can be treated.

Any diesel, Nissans the worst, will blow smoke IF the throttle is suddenly opened. All that does is waste money in unburnt fuel out exhaust. Slower throttle opening will see less/almost no smoke, as the turbo spins up much the same but there won't be excess fuel injected before it catches up in the boosted air flow level.

You will get surface rust on many underside components but they can be sprayed/treated with a rust converter solution which turns rust into a black skin which then protects the surface. Here it is called Rust Converter.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 6:16 am 

mydmax wrote:
Pazzesco
Because the ute has been is a salty situation I would buy some Lanolin or waxy/oily spray and after thoroughly washing the chassis out from end to end with a garden hose or fire hose (higher flow rate)allow it to dry out. then spray the solution into the chassis holes and ends wherever possible. That way it will arrest any rust/tinworm in there.
There are plenty of production holes in the chassis and so most if not all of the chassis can be treated.

Any diesel, Nissans the worst, will blow smoke IF the throttle is suddenly opened. All that does is waste money in unburnt fuel out exhaust. Slower throttle opening will see less/almost no smoke, as the turbo spins up much the same but there won't be excess fuel injected before it catches up in the boosted air flow level.

You will get surface rust on many underside components but they can be sprayed/treated with a rust converter solution which turns rust into a black skin which then protects the surface. Here it is called Rust Converter.

Thanks mate! I will follow your advice, I bought it today morning.