NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM

NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM
It is currently Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:16 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

We have NEW server almost ready, try it out here

Post subject: Dmax Chassis extension
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:44 am 

Hi all.

I am currently in the process of building up my Isuzu dmax LSU dual cab. The build does and will include the usual mods, but most notably, a 400mm chassis extension. Whilst planning and researching the build over the last few years, I found that there was not a great deal of info regarding chassis extensions considering how many of them there are out there. So I have decided to do a little write up on my build for anyone considering the same thing, and after a bit more info before they do the surgery.

I purchased the dmax brand new in end of march 2019. I was very much aware that by doing the chassis extension, I was going to void a lot of warranty on parts. After considering the Ranger, Hilux, Navara, etc, and comparing with what I wanted out of the vehicle (a new reliable 4cyl diesel auto work ute), I decided on the dmax due to their reputation, over-engineering in certain aspects, without useless extra features. I wanted a dual cab with a longer tray, as an 1500mm or 1800mm tray is too small for my needs, and the dual cab to store tools/materials that would otherwise be in the tray exposed to rain and/or thieves.

After having it for a month (in that time EFS bullbar, sidesteps and ironman snorkle was installed), I sent it to Creative Conversions at Brendale QLD for a 400mm Chassis extension. I had already considered what size tray I would require for work (I am a renovation Builder/Carpenter), and had settled on a 2200mm tray. After talking to a few different companies that do Chassis extensions in south-east QLD, I struggled to get an answer of how much the turning circle would increase post extension. The closest advice I received was " maybe-possibly-sorta 500mm extra per 100mm of extension". Meaning a 400mm extension would increase the turning circle by 2000mm. A large increase, but not as bad as a 79 series cruiser according to stats found online.

Creative conversions had the car for a fortnight (chassis extensions are a piece of cake compared to their usual scope of work being 200 series chop/extensions). I was happy with their service and work quality - time will tell how good the work is, but I have full confidence in their work on the DMAX.

I took the ute straight from CC to Buffalo equip at Yandina to get a heavy duty aluminium tray made. Same as CC, they had the car for a fortnight, service was great, build quality appears to be top shelf - again time will tell to see if anything fails, but I have no concerns at the moment.

Once I got it home, I weighed it with no tools, new tray, bullbar/sidesteps, snorkle, a full tank of fuel and only me in the cab (i'm approx 90kg), and it came in at 2.48T. I weighed it again at the same location with my basic everyday tools onboard and came in at 2.84T. Considering my GVM is 3050kg, by the time I added in various other tools, dual battery system, passengers, timber on the roof racks etc, I would most probably be over GVM most days of the week - A GVM upgrade was required. Pedders GVM upgrade to 3450kg was installed, giving me piece of mind and keeping me legal (and my car insurance worth something). Not a lot of lift was gained at the front, but that's how the suspension kit is.

Before the Dmax was extended, I took some turning circle measurements. I used an empty carpark with car space lines to ensure I was making accurate measurements at 180 degrees of turn. I used the same method pre and post extension, performing 2 RH turns and 1 LH turn for good spread of data. Pre-extension turing circle came in at an average of 11 404mm. Post 400mm extension came in at 12 143mm, an increase of 739mm to the turning circle, which is not nearly as much as i was expecting = good!

How does it now drive with an extra 400mm in chassis length? The difference is actually minimal. While driving around town, its hardly noticeable. However, once you slow down and try to turn (like in a carpark or into the driveway etc), it become a bit more noticable, but far from detrimental. Once figuring out where the wheels are in my mind, it is not that different to standard or my previous ute (2010 Toyota hilux). I dont really have any concerns with parking it in a shopping centre car park etc, even though its rare I need to go to a shopping centre.

Overall length of the vehicle with the 2200mm tray is now approx 700mm longer than a standard DMax (and my previous ute with tray). Again it is longer, but hardly enough to restrict where it can and cant go. For the builders/chippies out there, I can get 6000mm lengths on easily with my front rack on the bullbar, but 5400mm are too short to reach - am still in the process of figuring out the best solution for me)

I am far from finished with the build (wheels/tyres, change toolbox setup, dual battery, lighting, uhf radio etc), but hopefully this write up gives anyone else who is looking to do the same or similar some insight from someone who has done it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:42 am 

Thank you for this really well set out, informative post.
Are you prepared to say what the 400mm extension cost?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:50 am 

Good write up, the only thing missing is bucket loads of photos. And importantly how much to build me a shed ?
Look forward to some pictures.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:10 am 

Thanks for taking the time to share. And where are the photos?

Tink

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:24 pm 

Yeah sorry I didnt have time this morning to figure out how to upload pics. A few should be attached.

The extension cost $7045 inc gst.

Attachments:
IMG_20190602_073329.jpg
IMG_20190602_073329.jpg [ 247.93 KiB | Viewed 405 times ]
IMG_20190602_073130.jpg
IMG_20190602_073130.jpg [ 258.37 KiB | Viewed 405 times ]
IMG_20190602_073342.jpg
IMG_20190602_073342.jpg [ 273.58 KiB | Viewed 405 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:25 pm 

And another few

Attachments:
IMG_20190602_073314.jpg
IMG_20190602_073314.jpg [ 322.74 KiB | Viewed 405 times ]
IMG_20190602_073400.jpg
IMG_20190602_073400.jpg [ 335.33 KiB | Viewed 405 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:55 pm 

That looks pretty sturdy, Danthebuilder. Way to go. Pricey but I guess worth it for you.