NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM

NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM
It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:38 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

We have NEW server almost ready, try it out here

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:19 am 

Hi all.

2014 D-Max SX

ESC warning light flashing more frequently.

Over the last couple of weeks I've noticed my ESC warning light (the skidding car icon) coming on more frequently than it used to. On the same corners as before, but at a much milder pedal press, very little acceleration, which really can't be avoided cos I'm going up a hill, and I'm not happy loosing power every time I go round a corner.

My Owner's Manual (they all seem to be different) p 4-100, says 'If ... tyres with significantly varying degrees of wear are used, the ESC may not operate properly.'

Well, I've just got 2 new tyres on the front, with 2 old ones on the back. Front tyres 75cm diam, rear ones 10mm less, = 1.3% difference.

I spose my option is to spend $300 I didn't have to, to remedy a 1/2 tread thickness difference on a pair of tyres. Not happy with that either.

And on the subject of the ESC light, who's the genius who thought of putting that warning light in a spot where you can only see it when turning left, cos when you turn right the steering wheel obscures it? Yes, I can always take my safety belt off, sit up & forward & sideways, peer behind the steering wheel, while going round a corner, but really... Come on guys!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:44 am 

Garrytre
Although 1.3% doesn't seem much in a straight line, when cornering, the front outside wheel is going faster again than the worn rear inside wheel. If the ESC and ABS are going to have a chance of doing something that %age is markedly increased during the corner and so it must pas the rotation threshold difference of the wheel sensors.

A mate of mine has a daughter who's Audi car tells when the tyre/wheel rotation difference in a straight line is more than 4 psi less. Could hardly see the deflation but it was present.

With yours if you run the new fronts slightly less pressure and the rears up a bit it probably doesn't happen. A load in the rear squashing the tyres a bit can see the system recognize the outside rear under load and the inside front trying to lift, as different rotation speeds too.

With the dash I suppose you could lower the seat to Asian person height, would that work?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:02 pm 

mydmax wrote:
... when cornering, the front outside wheel is going faster again than the worn rear inside wheel.

Yeah but that's the case anyway. Pretty tight tolerances if 1.3% pings the sensor.

It all seems pretty strange, cos I can sometimes spin a wheel on mud or gravel for a second or so before the little light comes on, by which time, if it actually mattered, I'd be out of control & down the hill.

I wonder if all that stuff is actually of any use at all. I read somewhere that it's an article of faith, and that there's no actual evidence that it prevents accidents. Hmm..., might chase that up when I get time.

I just read 'In the Interests of Safety', Brown & Hanlon about how lots of safety rules & regs actually make things more dangerous.

Guess I'll just have to go round corners in a straight line in the mean time.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:45 am 

Garrytre
Yes, you can spin a wheel in mud before it activates, because the ECU sees the other three wheels are not rotating very fast or hardly at all so low danger level. That means one wheel spin is not a big concern, but if going round a corner at speed and there is a mismatch outside the set parameter, it could cause an instant loss of control of the mass of the vehicle while at speed. It doesn't now how wide the road is so the system turns on pretty quickly so vital time is preserved to be able to correct anything out of normal. It assumes you will try and turn the steering in the desired direction if you detect all is not well and tries to follow your command as close as possible. The steering angle sensor is the decider there. Just flashing means you are near to it taking some action. I agree it is not perfect.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:24 pm 

The ESC light is often an indication of a starting battery on its last legs.

Tink

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:22 am 

Tink wrote:
The ESC light is often an indication of a starting battery on its last legs.
Jeez, if that's true, pretty poor electronic design. Any first year TAFE student could do better.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:02 pm 

I wouldn't think the ESC light would indicate a sus battery while driving, The system has to have enough instantaneous power to run the braking pump. With the alternator running and the battery charging there should be sufficient current available, however, at or around starting time/startup, the system may see low voltage and indicate a lack of battery. Most vehicles with a slow battery will crank a little but there may not be enough voltage to run the injector inverter in the ECU and so the injectors won't fire if volts too low. Don't know what the threshold voltage is.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:46 am 

It will be because of the new tyres on front and the older ones on the rear , I experienced the same problem with my Dmax
there was 6mm difference in tread from the new tyres on the front to the rear tyres , that was about 37mm in circumference , that was enough for the ESC to kick in on just about every bend in the road .

The ESC and 4WD lights coming on is said to be a indication of the battery on its way out , that happened to my Dmax , I replaced the battery with a new one , made no difference .

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:03 am 

Jackofjr thx for confirming my ideas.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:42 am 

garrytre wrote:
Jackofjr thx for confirming my ideas.

No probs , I was able to swap back to my std tyres , I had put the original wheels and tyres on my camper there was a 13mm difference in circumference front to back on the Dmax , that cured the problem

If you look back I did post about it .

You probably know I no longer have the Dmax but I still have a look here just to see what happening