NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM

NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM
It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:48 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

We have NEW server almost ready, try it out here

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:26 pm 

A couple of photos of a Mate Triton , 1100K on the clock , crossing the Simpson a couple of weeks ago towing a Tvan this what happened

He limped into Mt Dare where they patched it up to get home ,

Just today a local Dmax towing a Horse Float , 2 Horses on board crossing a Railway Line has suffered the same fate , its the first Dual Cab Dmax I have heard of breaking a Chassis

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:38 pm 

The Mate arrived home last Saturday , went to Mitsubishi they didn't want to know him because he had changed the suspension .
He was going to contact his Insurance Company , but he has a Mate that's a Engineer he looked at it told him how it could be fixed , so as of today is probably now better than new and should not break again

I will try and find out more info about the Dmax that was towing the Float , this stage all I know it was a Dual Cab don't know anything else

Mates Triton today , all engineered good to go

Post subject: Re: Bent Chassis
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:55 pm 

When you look at the over hang you can guess why it happens.

2014 LST Ash Beige. SMM Steel canopy, Outback Drawers, dual battery with 2 x 160W solar panels (keeps the beers nice and cold), 135L tank, TJM T15 alloy bar with Xray-vision LED lights, Dumbo Clearview Mirrors. The ultimate tow truck.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:29 pm 

Bob wrote:

And the all new model is exactly the same... :roll:

Google search trick- site:newd-max.net search term here
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1684
Build thread viewtopic.php?f=16&t=549

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:02 pm 

Be interested in the finer details of those two stories - how fast was the guy in the dmax going when he hit that railway? Hopefully the horses didn't suffer any brain damage ;)

But seriously - I think a common misconception these days is that utes can just go as fast as they like over rough terrain. Too many tv commercials.

No offense to your mate though!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:54 pm 

I know most of the details of the Triton , it was put over the weigh bridge before he left on the trip , the Mate was very aware of the potential problems with Triton chassis

The ball weight was less than 160kg but the Ute weight was over GVM by a 150kg , including the 160kg on the ball

He took things as easy as possible on the dirt roads and in the Simpson , this was the mates 4th crossing , I have been with him every other time ,
because he was towing the Tvan there was no playing on Big Red or anywhere else , like we have done on every other trip .

There was no sign of any cracks in the chassis before it broke , he would have a quick look pretty much every time they stopped and a good check every night at camp .

He only needed to be assisted over 4 Dunes , 3 tows and winched himself on one .

They were about 40K East of Purni Bore when it happened .

The broken Dmax , I know it was a local who knew the road and with 2 horses in the float , so yeah I guess it was a heavy load on the ball but I very much doubt they would of been hooning .

I don't know the people but the mate dose , I'm hoping to be able to have a look at the vehicle .

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:08 pm 

Danno wrote:
Bob wrote:

And the all new model is exactly the same... :roll:

Danno is right , Dave at Mt Dare says he has patched all Dual Cabs at one time .

I personally have seen on my travels broken , Hilux's , Navara's , Mazda BT50 , Patrols and a few Tritons they seem to be the worst .

they just don't make em like they used to .

Dual Cabs are the worst but the single and extra cabs will break as well .

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:15 am 

I was surprised at the Landcruiser dual cab when it first came out. It also has nearly all the tray aft the rear axle as well. I know it has a more meatier chassis, but it still looks vulnerable. Not sure if any of those have had this happen to them yet?

2012 LS-T, Mineral Grey. ARB Canopy, Traderack, Bullbar, Airtech Snorkel, XDC winch, Xray Vision driving lights, TX3345 GME radio, Dual Battery via Redarc VSR, OME 300kg Constant load suspension, factory towbar, Dueler 697 LT tyres, now 70,000km

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:27 am 

Can't help thinking that going over those dunes would create a fulcrum point weight that goes well beyond what the vehicle's chassis can withstand(vehicle coming down one side, heavy van still coming up other) & a lot of railway crossings are humped so water won't pool, these light 4wd's aren't designed to do the things the heavy 4wd's do with ease, when the Great Wall's 1st came out they were on display at a caravan/4wd show at Rosehill Gardens in Sydney, two of em had one front wheel & the diagonal rear wheel up on ramps, looked all sexy & such, 2 weeks later both had bent chassis & the importers spitting chips, towards the end of the show you could see the twist in the frames, this gave me a good insight into what the new style LIGHT 4wd could & couldn't do, it was the way of the future for affordable 4wd's, didn't buy mine to tow a van, would've got a patrol or landie for that.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:53 am 

Jackofjr wrote:

they just don't make em like they used to .

I think this is the major issue. Nothing is over engineered now..just engineered to an absolute minimum for weight and cost savings.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next