NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM

NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM
It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:27 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

We have NEW server almost ready, try it out here

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:17 pm 

Mydmax is on the money here. There is a very comprehensive article on this subject in the current issue of Camper Trailer Australia mag. In a list of 10 common chassis-busting mistakes, # 8 is quote
" A GVM upgrade may allow a vehicle to legally carry more weight, however, it does not increase the strength or durability of the vehicle chassis. Your GVM-upgraded vehicle is likely to cop some damage if it is carrying more weight". unquote

I'm thinking that there is a good case for re-inforcing chassis and shackle mounting points before loading vehicles to the max (and beyond) and someone equipped to carry out this type of work has a business in waiting

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:12 pm 

As I have mentioned previous, the Dmax has the most "tray/load area" in front of the rear axle out of all vehicles in this class according to IUA in their advertising blurb, hence minimising aft axle overhang. Surely this mitigates risk to a degree of cracking/bending chassis, even if Joe Novice was at the wheel with a poorly loaded truck.
It's not a fail safe, but I reckon it goes someway towards the Dmax holding up compared to others, especially as we are battling to find any instances of this occurring. There are many members here coming up to 100k km in current models, who have been out there using their trucks with no issues.

2012 LS-T, Mineral Grey. ARB Canopy, Traderack, Bullbar, Airtech Snorkel, XDC winch, Xray Vision driving lights, TX3345 GME radio, Dual Battery via Redarc VSR, OME 300kg Constant load suspension, factory towbar, Dueler 697 LT tyres, now 70,000km

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:34 pm 

Yes mydmax all the gear you need for self sufficient camping. Once you have tools and spares recovery gear 6 Jerry cans you know all the usual suspects it adds up. Now I will be towing a trailer with 400 of that in it.

Sent from my ZTE T815 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:17 pm 

I doubt that it is the load within the tray as this virtually sits directly over the axle. Loading a camper/trailer with heavy ball weight is the likely culprit considering the chassis is bent upwards at the cab/tray region.

Ball weight can apply a massive force through leverage of the A frame onto the tow ball.

This would be why some cars have a reduced tow capacity for off road.

I know that towing our van with 300-350kg on the ball, it is the undulations that really worry me.

2014 LST Ash Beige. SMM Steel canopy, Outback Drawers, dual battery with 2 x 160W solar panels (keeps the beers nice and cold), 135L tank, TJM T15 alloy bar with Xray-vision LED lights, Dumbo Clearview Mirrors. The ultimate tow truck.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:08 pm 

Bob wrote:
I doubt that it is the load within the tray as this virtually sits directly over the axle. Loading a camper/trailer with heavy ball weight is the likely culprit considering the chassis is bent upwards at the cab/tray region.

Ball weight can apply a massive force through leverage of the A frame onto the tow ball.

This would be why some cars have a reduced tow capacity for off road.

I know that towing our van with 300-350kg on the ball, it is the undulations that really worry me.

if you have a big load sitting aft axle in the tray (eg in a Triton as there isn't much choice) plus heavy ball weight then that's a lot of extra stress which predisposes the chassis to malfunction. If in a Dmax there is a larger %age of weight in front of the axle due to how it's built then surely that is beneficial to us in some terms if comparing in a perfect world. Surely when you travel you put all the heavy stuff
like jerry cans, spare tyre, fridge in front of the rear axle if possible.

2012 LS-T, Mineral Grey. ARB Canopy, Traderack, Bullbar, Airtech Snorkel, XDC winch, Xray Vision driving lights, TX3345 GME radio, Dual Battery via Redarc VSR, OME 300kg Constant load suspension, factory towbar, Dueler 697 LT tyres, now 70,000km

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:23 am 

Here is the page from the article with the 10 tips. Some are just common sense and of course you should load the heaviest stuff against the back of the cab. Overloading and towing trailers is the main problem when hitting dips too fast. As the rear of the vehicle accelerates up and down the weight of the trailer increases the load stress when whole lot reaches the bottom of the cycle. Trailers loaded with too much ball weight multiply the problem.
Looking at my own camper trailer which has a swing out kitchen at the back, this takes up most of the room rear of the axle (on the inside) so most of what I load into it will be forward of the axle. Countering the load will be the water tank underneath, one jerry can and a gas bottle on each side. Haven't used the trailer yet but I will be checking ball weight before I do any trips

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:05 pm 

Currently making my own c-t and unloaded I can just pick up the a frame. So when loaded there will be about 80 to 100 Kg ball weight. I'm estimating 300 kg in car so with all care while driving and good planning I'll think I shouldn't have to much to worry. At least I don't drive a Triton

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:16 pm 

Our vehicles have a lot of extra weight added with gear we see as essential , sort of std , bars , winch even the small stuff all adds up
Then we go and add all the camping gear , I wasn't going the bother with a longrange fuel tank with this vehicle , just chuck a couple of jerry cans in the tray when needed .

I'm now having a rethink a bigger tank bolted to the chassis , is probably a better idea , keeps the weight down low .

We have only ever had one 39lt Engel , 24years and still going , it's in the Cab behind the passenger seat , only use plastic boxes for most things .

A lot now have 2 fridges on slides , I thought about buying a fridge slide a few years ago , I picked one up at a show , bloody thing was that heavy , I soon changed my mind , I asked about a set drawers for one of my vehicles , when they told me the weight , nup don't want em .

When we decided not to have a slide or drawers , we didn't need a canopy either , our cooking gear , one fry pan one saucepan and steamer a kettle and a single gas ring , the ute tail board was our table .

When I think about all the stuff we don't have and my Hilux was still way over GVM , bloody hell how much over are most others .

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:34 pm 

I have 4 med space cases 1is the pantry 1for the cooking gear 1 for tools and spares and 1 for general camping pegs tarps extra blanket and stuff. Jerry cans ,table , 2 chairs, gazebo, rtt and a few other odds and ends. Frigdes and batteries everything has a purpose or is insurance and that adds up to about 700 kgs. All I have to do is get the car weighed I think I might need to loose a couple of kilos.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:45 pm 

Well I weighed my ute today empty with full fuel tank and 2 adults. The result is what I expected, the ute came in at 2400 neat. That leaves me with 550 for camping gear. With these figures its no wonder Utes are overloaded out on the tracks.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next