NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM

NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM
It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:11 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

We have NEW server almost ready, try it out here

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:56 am 

This is excellent reading : http://www.4x4australia.com.au/drive/1504/bent-utes/

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:40 am 

Just wandering if it be a good idea to strengthen the chassis before heading outback if we are going to tow and heavy load just as a precaution and to save money

Casey

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:57 pm 

Skippy69

Wandering or Wondering?

If carrying a decent load and possibly having suspension raised to allow the relative chassis/axle movement without bottoming, I can't see you needing chassis strengthening.
If also towing having the ball/hitch as close to the towbar as is practical ensures no additional forces caused by long tow tongues etc, AND, Towed vehicle correctly loaded so excessive drawbar weight is avoided.

Having raised suspension for addtional axle travel ability AND decent performing shock absorbers, ie, Bilsteins for example, will provide suitable damping and load transfer absorbtion which is experienced going through dips and wash aways.
Loaded, and towing a load, through rough country is generally well beyond the capability of OE shocks which are made for a nice ride in town.
However, with too much speed and insufficient care in those rough circustances you can bend/break/snap any chassis.

The benefits of a moderatey raised suspension and new, decent shock absorbers is probably cheaper than chassis work and you still have a std abilty vehicle.

Most sensible, careful and aware drivers don't have chassis problems.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:05 am 

skippy69 wrote:
Just wandering if it be a good idea to strengthen the chassis before heading outback if we are going to tow and heavy load just as a precaution and to save money

Casey

Your problem is much more likely to be the front end of the car mate not the chassis at the back. At least by using common sense in your approach to loading and driving the car you can pretty much stop any damage to the rear of the chassis with the front it's a complete lottery.

Google search trick- site:newd-max.net search term here
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1684
Build thread viewtopic.php?f=16&t=549

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:00 pm 

If you are running close to max GVM, and/or towing with a heavy ball weight, then I would be more concerned with damaging your rear axle than damaging the chassis. I know of three cracked rear axle housings found by my local mechanic, all of which were rejected as warranty claims due to aftermarket suspension having been fitted. This is not heresay, but fact.
Tink

Last edited by Tink on Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:13 am 

Tink wrote:
If you are running close to max GVM, and/or towing with a heavy ball weight, then I would be more concerned with damaging your rear axle than damaging the chassis. I know of three cracked rear axles found by my local mechanic, all of which were rejected as warranty claims due to aftermarket suspension having been fitted. This is not heresay, but fact.
Tink

By "cracked axle" do you mean an actual broken axle or a "cracked" diff/axle housing?

Google search trick- site:newd-max.net search term here
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1684
Build thread viewtopic.php?f=16&t=549

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:46 am 

Doh, my bad, rear axle housing. Cracks have all been outboard on top beside spring hangers. Length of cracks have varied from a few mm to 25 mm.

Tink

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:02 pm 

Tink
That area you mention is in compression and if cracked there it would indicate the vehicle/s have often bottomed their suspension and caused higher than normal stress near the spring seats.

Spring hangers are at either end of the leaf spring. One for the front eye and one for the shackle.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:56 pm 

Well shoot me for getting the terminology worng. What are they called then?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:18 pm 

The spring pad or seat is where the spring is seated.
Don’t get upset about it. Just pointing out the hangers are what ithe spring hangs from, always been that way as far as I know

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next