NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM

NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM
It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:24 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

We have NEW server almost ready, try it out here

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:04 pm 

It's been 5 years to the day, that I picked up my 2013 D-Max LS-M. My very first Isuzu.

I have driven it all over many states in Australia and done lots of 4wding.

Here is the list of things that have gone wrong, or needed warranty work:

That's right, absolutely nothing. Nothing at all.

A few things have needed attention:

- I split a CV boot. That's normal wear and tear.
- My power windows got stuck - but on here, it was explained the procedure how to fix it. And it did.

And nothing else.

I have now cracked the 105,000km mark and my D-Max is still running like a new one.

I get a new car every 5 years, and I am keeping my D-Max and getting my wife a new car.

Every single other car prior to this one that I have bought brand new, has needed warranty claims or attention - Nissan, Holden, Honda, Toyota.

But not a damn thing from my Isuzu.

I am impressed! :-)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:15 pm 

Great sales pitch for them, my 2013 lsm with 110000 also nothing that wasn't caused by me.
What are you getting your wife ?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:54 pm 

100K, 2 months off of 5 years, nothing wrong, no body cracks, no busted CVs (and it has done some serious offroading) but will I keep it, hmmm, not sure.

Tink

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:29 pm 

Going to get my wife a Mazda CX-5. Been test driving plenty of SUV's over the past few weeks. The Mazda ticks every box that she wants!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:41 pm 

My progress report is not so glowing, but OK.
69,000km, just had 4 years / 80,000km done privately.

Week 4 Key unlock button so sensitive it kept unlocking the car. Isuzu acknowledged the issue, but no cure, so I disabled the unlock button and now I stick the key in the hole and open the other doors of the driver's door switch.

Week 5 Rear view mirror flopping about, replaced.

Year 1, not settling after change from 2WD -> 4WD, going back to 2WD, then seconds later back to 4WD. Obviously serious if I'm straining up a hill with wheels spinning. Was demonstrated to North-East Isuzu, and documented to occur, but after pulling things to bits, no cause found. Same a few months later. Was advised, when changing from 2WD -> 4WD, stop, change, reverse a few metres, then go forward and check. (!!!) Happens less these days. But I've kept all records for the big day when something blows up, if they try to say it was my poor technique. BTW, I reckon that might be the cause of other people's broken CV's, because it's not a thing you'd notice - the 4WD light starting to flash and then going steady again, ramming something from 2WD -> 4WD under stress.

Year 3, 3 times, a month or two apart, hand brake flicked all the way off (not just one tooth). Taken apart, cleaned, nothing found.

Year 3, occasional driver's window not winding down, push button 1/2 dozen times it works. Taken apart, cleaned, nothing found.

And a good word for a dealer at Hampstead Gardens Adelaide. I had a buzzing in the drivers A pillar. Sounded like last time the TJM snorkel came loose, so I took it to TJM - no not the snorkel. So I wondered if it was wiring, or air-bag or something in the A pillar. Turns out to be the TJM snorkel again, so the isuzu dealer re-riveted it again. Didn't charge me, said "it was only a 5 minute job", but I know it was a bit more. I always thought the 2 rivets holding the snorkel looked a bit minimal.

Turns out after market stuff has a high hit rate:-
- Gitsham tray that covered fuel filler (needed emergency hacksaw to fill up day 1 and moving the filler later). Also covered top stop-light, needed me to move the protector grid.
- Electric Bug CB radio loose on top of gear-box ,located by antenna cable, instead of secured under dash as I'd been told.
- big stuff-up with Zordo's suspension, wrong parts, needing a whole nother workshop day, my cost. Should have used local Iron Man dealer, who advised him the correct parts.
- after OL difflock installed, brakes faulty (pedal almost touched the floor & handbrake movement very different) - can't be, we didn't touch the brakes.
- TJM snorkel coming loose.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:28 am 

garrytre wrote:
My progress report is not so glowing, but OK.
69,000km, just had 4 years / 80,000km done privately.

Week 4 Key unlock button so sensitive it kept unlocking the car. Isuzu acknowledged the issue, but no cure, so I disabled the unlock button and now I stick the key in the hole and open the other doors of the driver's door switch.
My keys buttons are very sensitive. I just bought one of the rubber covers from ebay, done the trick. I also got a really bright green one, so when I'm looking for my keys, they are now a lot easier to find! :lol:

garrytre wrote:
Never heard of that happening. Was it the actual mirror itself or the glue holding it to the windscreen?

garrytre wrote:
Year 1, not settling after change from 2WD -> 4WD, going back to 2WD, then seconds later back to 4WD. Obviously serious if I'm straining up a hill with wheels spinning. Was demonstrated to North-East Isuzu, and documented to occur, but after pulling things to bits, no cause found. Same a few months later. Was advised, when changing from 2WD -> 4WD, stop, change, reverse a few metres, then go forward and check. (!!!) Happens less these days. But I've kept all records for the big day when something blows up, if they try to say it was my poor technique. BTW, I reckon that might be the cause of other people's broken CV's, because it's not a thing you'd notice - the 4WD light starting to flash and then going steady again, ramming something from 2WD -> 4WD under stress.

Year 3, 3 times, a month or two apart, hand brake flicked all the way off (not just one tooth). Taken apart, cleaned, nothing found.

Year 3, occasional driver's window not winding down, push button 1/2 dozen times it works. Taken apart, cleaned, nothing found.
Mine had that thing with the window not auto-downing or up, but Tink I think it was explained how to reset it, which I did a few weeks ago, all good since.

garrytre wrote:
And a good word for a dealer at Hampstead Gardens Adelaide. I had a buzzing in the drivers A pillar. Sounded like last time the TJM snorkel came loose, so I took it to TJM - no not the snorkel. So I wondered if it was wiring, or air-bag or something in the A pillar. Turns out to be the TJM snorkel again, so the isuzu dealer re-riveted it again. Didn't charge me, said "it was only a 5 minute job", but I know it was a bit more. I always thought the 2 rivets holding the snorkel looked a bit minimal.
Haha I can relate to this! My TJM snorkel had the same thing happen to it - that annoying harmonic/vibration sound. I figured it out myself, the tek screw holding the snorkel at the top of the A pillar was simply loose. I tightened it up and squirted in a dob of silicone as well, hasn't happened for a year or so now.

garrytre wrote:
Turns out after market stuff has a high hit rate:-
- Gitsham tray that covered fuel filler (needed emergency hacksaw to fill up day 1 and moving the filler later). Also covered top stop-light, needed me to move the protector grid.
- Electric Bug CB radio loose on top of gear-box ,located by antenna cable, instead of secured under dash as I'd been told.
- big stuff-up with Zordo's suspension, wrong parts, needing a whole nother workshop day, my cost. Should have used local Iron Man dealer, who advised him the correct parts.
- after OL difflock installed, brakes faulty (pedal almost touched the floor & handbrake movement very different) - can't be, we didn't touch the brakes.
- TJM snorkel coming loose.
They are all good quality brands, shame you've had a problem with them mate.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:44 am 

garrytre
By opening the key fob and shortening the little pin which is part of the moulding of the buttons the pressing issue is almost eliminated.

The sudden changing of the 4wd system HAS to be either the controller is faulty or the wiring loom has some sort of swap over short between the wires soemwhere in the system. The change motor isn't ever going to operate by itself at any time, because it has to be powered and commanded by the change controller via the loom. Doesn't say much for the investigative ability of whoever looked at it, or for their logic.

If it was a rear diff lock fitted by OL, then they HAVE TO remove the back plates and brakes to do the job.

Whoever made the tray didn't do much thinking as to what is required.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:29 am 

Aussie wrote:
I just bought one of the rubber covers from ebay, done the trick. I also got a really bright green one, so when I'm looking for my keys, they are now a lot easier to find! :lol:

Attachment:
IMG_0915.JPG
IMG_0915.JPG [ 158.05 KiB | Viewed 2651 times ]

Aussie wrote:
garrytre wrote:
Never heard of that happening. Was it the actual mirror itself or the glue holding it to the windscreen?

The night / day anti-dazzle lever was tougher than the ball joint that holds the mirror, so the mirror moved. Eventually it just got floppy, a bit like myself.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:08 pm 

Yes the mazdas get a pretty good wrap. Sure she will love it. Much harder to spend 10k on accessories on a mazda.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:10 am 

Our LSU is one of the first new shape cars we bought new in Aug 2012.
110,000km
Warranty claims...nil
After the warranty expired I've had a few small issues.
The touchy key obviously.
The central locking stopped but came online in a few days before I got to fix it. (I never found the fault.)
There's a mild rear suspension squeak that I've never worried about.

Things I like:
The way the doors close.
The carlike ride,
The overall build quality, things like the number of crossmembers and the typical Japanese build mechanically.
The tough proven truck engine.
The Aisin auto with engine braking,
This car drives like it's smaller that it is. If that makes sense.
The long service intervals

Things I don't like:
The lack of interior appointments (for a top of the range it lacks)
The centre dash storage lid is hard to open
The black smoke when you floor it.
The cheap crappy fuel filter housing, it should be a spin on.
The drivers pillar blocks the view too much.

We won't be selling our car for sometime being that we're retired now and have it how we want.
All the bad likes are only minor for us, we're very happy.

Attachments:
20170717_110327.jpg
20170717_110327.jpg [ 224.97 KiB | Viewed 2552 times ]
P1030700.JPG
P1030700.JPG [ 257.25 KiB | Viewed 2553 times ]