NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM

NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM
It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:40 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

We have NEW server almost ready, try it out here

Post subject: Re: Brake problem
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:42 pm 

Danno wrote:
My way of thinking is that if you do have an issue with something that you've modified, let's say the fuel filters (not in the build thread) and you have a fuel pump issue completely unrelated to the filters, the first thing they'll do is point at the filter and say "that's what did it!" your then put in the position of having to prove it didn't, better they never knew it was there in the first place and wheel it in to the dealership back to factory spec and save yourself the hassle.
This is just a rough example but the a#s covering point is there.

I'm hearing you there...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:04 pm 

Yeah, fair enough Danno. But what happens if it breaks down and gets flat topped to a dealer. No chance to remove the mods then.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:45 pm 

Tink wrote:
Yeah, fair enough Danno. But what happens if it breaks down and gets flat topped to a dealer. No chance to remove the mods then.

Geez Tink, where's ya faith? It's an Isuzu Dmax, Isuzu's never get flat topped to a dealer, they always make it under their own steam...that's a Ford thing..

Google search trick- site:newd-max.net search term here
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1684
Build thread viewtopic.php?f=16&t=549

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:57 pm 

Danno wrote:
Tink wrote:

Geez Tink, where's ya faith? It's an Isuzu Dmax, Isuzu's never get flat topped to a dealer, they always make it under their own steam...that's a Ford thing..

Like this post :-)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:51 pm 

Stop trying to put the mocker on me Danno... I'm about to drive my 50 year old Ford about 7500km in 12 days...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:39 am 

Damian73 wrote:
Stop trying to put the mocker on me Danno... I'm about to drive my 50 year old Ford about 7500km in 12 days...

Take a rope so you can drag it with the DMAX; you might get to your destination then ;-)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:47 am 

I'm just finishing off the route map, then I'll start a new thread and post a link...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:44 am 

hey danno,

did you ever resolve this issue?

When I was crossing the gibb river road, if I had gone a long time on throttle and had to slow for a wash out, occasionally I'd have a very long pedal and would need to pump it up to get good pressure feel.

Took it too Isuzu Broome, they had no idea.

Long pedal around town, took it to Isuzu Perth, they had no idea.

Around town I've noticed a consistent long pedal but it works.

However they other day whilst off road it was REALLY long and quite scary as we had some very steep down hill runs.

At one point it was literally on the floor.

I'm thinking maybe master or vacuum pump?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:39 am 

MAT713

If you have a vacuum pump or loss of vacuum, the pedal WILL be higher because there is NO vacuum or less than normal vacuum to create, the normal "more master cylinder piston force".

I would immediately look at the front wheel bearing adjustment. If the loose wheel bearings are knocking the disc pistons inward over rough roads or around corners in town, the pistons will require far more fluid transfer before pressure to operate the brakes has been able to build up. Brake pedal is lost because there is no resistance to the passage of fluid transfer from master to wheel pistons. When there is resistance the brakes come on as pressure is applied creating clamping force on disc rotor or expanding shoes in drums.

Could also be warped discs or warped drums to some degree, that causes the hydraulics to be retracted from instant ability. Again, knocks 'em inwards.
If one or more calipers ae seized on it's slides AND there is bearing movement the disc bashes the pistons inwards and extreme loss of pedal height happens as a result.

Front calipers could be loose on the two bolt fixing to steering support.

Mechanics with no diagnosis abilty will always have no idea, no surprise there. Most don't know how brake systems work, vacuum boosters are also a total mystery to them.

A slightly warm and reasonably vertical mechanic should test the vacuum level and check the mechanical situation before saying, dunno.

If, when the brakes DO operate and the boost/braking is normal and the turbo which uses vacuum to operate the boost vane ring also makes boost, ie, normal boost performance, then I do not think the vacuum system is an issue at all.

If you asked most mechanics to explain how the systems within a motor vehicle work and the principles involved, they have trouble.