NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM

NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM
It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:48 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

We have NEW server almost ready, try it out here

Post subject: Gas struts for bonnet
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:14 pm 

Has anyone fitted an aftermarket pair of gas struts for their bonnet?

Like this one at random from ebay for all of $55 : http://tinyurl.com/qyxq23c

Not that our bonnets are up much compared to other marques! :lol:

I just find the ye-olde-pushrod an ancient thing that should be outlawed these days!

Guess I'm after comments from another guinea pig first! :D

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:36 pm 

Aussie wrote:
Has anyone fitted an aftermarket pair of gas struts for their bonnet?

Like this one at random from ebay for all of $55 : http://tinyurl.com/qyxq23c

Not that our bonnets are up much compared to other marques! :lol:

I just find the ye-olde-pushrod an ancient thing that should be outlawed these days!

Guess I'm after comments from another guinea pig first! :D

I was looking at this recently because my trucks so high now the missus can't hold the bonnet high enough to put the rod in if she ever needed to :roll:, Strange that they only have one strut though or is there 2? because that's not a DMax in the pic. The previous model and others like the D40 all have 2, seems like a lot of weight for one strut on one side only.

Here's an alternative twin strut, made in Thailand too :roll: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FRONT-HOOD-B ... 1141836288

Google search trick- site:newd-max.net search term here
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1684
Build thread viewtopic.php?f=16&t=549

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:58 pm 

I haven't done a search for gas struts for the Dmax but I just bought a pair off ebay from thegastrutguys for my Toyota Aurion. Good service, quick delivery and they work well.

But to be honest I wish the Aurion had the old style metal rod to hold up the bonnet. One less thing to go wrong.

2012 LS-T, Mineral Grey. ARB Canopy, Traderack, Bullbar, Airtech Snorkel, XDC winch, Xray Vision driving lights, TX3345 GME radio, Dual Battery via Redarc VSR, OME 300kg Constant load suspension, factory towbar, Dueler 697 LT tyres, now 70,000km

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:36 am 

Quote:
Here's an alternative twin strut, made in Thailand too :roll: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FRONT-HOOD-B ... 1141836288

That's cheap! However from my limited experience with gas struts, I wouldn't bother changing. Had a big pair on our hinged lid 7x4 trailer...lasted all of 12 months and they gave up :roll: I went back to the stick prop idea.
Stick still works 10 years on. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:22 pm 

funny this thread popped up. I just changed the bonnet struts on our Ford XR6T as they gave up. That said they were original, from 12/06 so getting on a bit.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:46 pm 

Well lads, looks like I will be the guinea pig then! :D

Had plenty of cars whereby they have been good for years. That includes wagons with tailgate struts.

Also had one Falcon and one Statesman whereby a broom handle was the bonnet holder cos the struts failed! :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:19 pm 

Aussie wrote:
Well lads, looks like I will be the guinea pig then! :D

Had plenty of cars whereby they have been good for years. That includes wagons with tailgate struts.

Also had one Falcon and one Statesman whereby a broom handle was the bonnet holder cos the struts failed! :lol:

Thing is, if they fail the rods still going to be there anyway, no worries, unless your checking the brake fluid when it does of course :lol:

The wagon struts on my beloved 92 model Subaru are only now starting to go after 24 yrs...as the back of my head (and the missus) will attest on numerous occasions.

Google search trick- site:newd-max.net search term here
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1684
Build thread viewtopic.php?f=16&t=549

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:29 am 

Dan.
Does that mean the missus smacks you in the back of the head too?

Poor bloke cops it from all his treasures.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:33 pm 

Don't buy those cheap $55 ones. I did, they weren't the right size and they did not hold the bonnet up either.

Ive had to log a paypal dispute as the seller keeps stuffing me around for a refund.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:24 pm 

dragon26 wrote:
Don't buy those cheap $55 ones. I did, they weren't the right size and they did not hold the bonnet up either.

Ive had to log a paypal dispute as the seller keeps stuffing me around for a refund.

Too late. It turned up in the post today! :lol:

I'm not thinking it's going to go well though. :shock:

- As Danno alluded, there is only one strut. I was hoping there would be a pair, but when I re-read the advert, it only mentions it in singular and shows a picture of 1

- It was drop shipped from Malaysia (more below). ebay advert says shipping from Sydney. I now notice the seller is based in Malaysia. Quite safely plastic wrapped with a covering that has http://www.solelyonline.com all over it, which when I go to it claims 'Malaysian bargain shopping place'.

- Seller sent ebay update saying posted on 1 Dec. Yet Aus Post tracking number shows it was lodged on 5 Dec. No date recorded on Postage label.

- Sending address was "AMS - 118 Dennison St Hillsdale". When I Google AMS it is "Australasian Mail Services". http://www.amservices.net.au Web site indicates they receive international post.... so more evidence it is drop shipped and they supplied the Aus Post delivery sticker.

I don't like being lied to, and I deliberately bought it as it was allegedly located in Australia. That's my only beef!

However, will see how it fits up.

Knew I should have been a detective! My skills are otherwise wasted! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edit : The only "out" the seller could have, is to claim that they purchased (say) 100 of them in bulk, and had them stored on location with AMS for sending. Plausible or Myth Busted? :? :D