NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM

NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM
It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 9:23 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

We have NEW server almost ready, try it out here

Post subject: Suspension seats
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:46 am 

D-Max drivers seat replacement:

Looking at replacing the drivers seat with a suspension seat, ie, Isri or similar.

Has anyone done such replacement, or know where I could find the right info please?

Cheers

Post subject: Re: Suspension seats
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:53 am 

Tailwheel.
You have to retain an airbag in the seat to be legal so costs go up.
Do you really want a suspension seat? They move up and down and so I would imagine you cannot use one with a retracting seatbelt as it will be retracting when seat susp is compressed and trapping you lower and lower, depending on the terrain.

In a HJ61 Landcruiser I used Nissan Skyline seats, many modern ones would also be suitable, even Dmax seats. In the Toyota at the floor fixings I made/used rear rubber suspension link ends. Anything which has a steel ring, rubber inbetween and a secure bolt/pin through a clevis could be added to each of the 4 seat fixings. That would allow for vibes and shock absorbtion but no appreciable movement to alter the seat and belt relationship.

Worked well in the rougher riding 60 series Toyota.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:47 am 

Thanks Mydmax,

I recently drove an old Landcruiser ute with an "Isri air seat" fitted and it was brilliant, particularly in the rough going.
The seat belts were fitted to the seat itself, so not a problem.
My Max has no airbags fitted in the seat [old model pre 2012]

Cheers

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:05 pm 

I would have thought the height of the cab may restrict choice to a degree on getting a good suspension seat. But I have a stuffed back and am following with interest.
My neighbour here in NT is an ISRI distributor as a side business, diesel mechanic by trade. Whilst he reckons the seats are comfy, parts and components do need replacing periodically, which isn't cheap. He is fixing them daily for buses, mines, trucks etc.

Maybe try some of the trucking/fleet forums whilst awaiting more informative responses.

2012 LS-T, Mineral Grey. ARB Canopy, Traderack, Bullbar, Airtech Snorkel, XDC winch, Xray Vision driving lights, TX3345 GME radio, Dual Battery via Redarc VSR, OME 300kg Constant load suspension, factory towbar, Dueler 697 LT tyres, now 70,000km